• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
At what point does rising GPU prices become an extortion racket?

Uh, the point at which Gibbo points a gun to your head and insists you buy a 4x SLI Pascal Titan setup?

Nvidia's profits are going nowhere but up, flagship graphics cards have always been a luxury good that customers have been willing to pay a premium for and this is a particularly attractive release cycle - the only upper limit on prices will be the bracket that they want to put the new Titan into.

Soldato
But at the moment we are only talking about the UK enthusiast so maybe 1% of 1% of your customers.

If that shrinks in half its not going to affect you very much.

And no I am not underestimating the sales. fact is the huge majority of cards sold are low/mid range cards especially to system builders etc. Check the steam hardware surveys and stuff.

Nvidia sold over 34m discreet gfx cards in 2014. How many of them do you think were 980s?

In fact out of 50m discreet graphic cards sold of all brands that year, only 2.9m were mid to high end cards.
It's not 1% man. I dont know why you think it's so low. GTX970 alone hit over 5% on Steam's hardware survey, and that includes ALL GPU's from current and all previous generations(and even integrated). Among current buyers, upper mid-range and high end account for a decent portion of the market. Not a majority, but enough of one that they still spend a whole lot investing in attracting them.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Cars are getting cheaper and cheaper.
Food is getting cheaper and cheaper.
With places like Aldi and Lidl even "other hobbies" are getting cheaper and cheaper.

Wait till peoples [insert-german-car-maker-name-here] goes up 10-20% - so a £50K BMW becomes £55K-60K and so on. People will likely move to lesser marque/badge - bmw -> audi, audi -> vw, vw -> skoda, skoda -> seat etc.

Still UK produced - not the imported stuff (with UK components like hops/wheat/apples/pears) beer/cider/perry should stay the same price. Wine will go up too.

Soldato
UK game market by some metrics is twice as big as France and almost 3 times bigger than Germany. How that translates into GPU sales I don't know but you could argue that without even talking numbers that UK is #1 in Europe for PC Gaming.

Caporegime
It's not 1% man. I dont know why you think it's so low. GTX970 alone hit over 5% on Steam's hardware survey, and that includes ALL GPU's from current and all previous generations(and even integrated). Among current buyers, upper mid-range and high end account for a decent portion of the market. Not a majority, but enough of one that they still spend a whole lot investing in attracting them.

The 970 had a launch price of $299????? so already 5% is covered by just 970 sales alone. I said 99% of all cards sold are $350 or less. The market somewhere mentioned they treat <$350 as none enthusiast cards.

So we are only talking about each high end card like the 980ti and 1080.

Associate
Remainers tend to conveniently forget this, that the weaker pound can actually help reduce our balance of payments deficit and make us more competitive internationally.

They don't, they are just far more realistic about short and medium term implications. The answer is we just find new replacement business. We all know that. It's the lead times which have been underestimated by leavers to have an economy where there is enough production of competitive goods/services for all this export trade they hope we will be able to do. It would be more accurate to say that we would theoretically be less non-competitive, there are many contributing variables to being competitive in any sector.
For manufacturing/production and subsequent export the currency dropping isn't enough, it needs stability, the risk of it climbing again will limit long term custom dependent on it (or cut off interim opportunistic trade), and no one is going to commit serious capital to create businesses/factories/etc without some stability. So short term we are to rely on existing export capable activity to offset reduced consumer spending and reduced investment and demand for the £? In two years, or however long it goes on for, we have whatever trade agreements we end up with but cannot be sure of the terms. In the meantime the process means there is a lot of existing business trade at risk of disruption.

I hope Leavers let us know in a X months/years where all these new opportunities are appearing and how their personal circumstances have changed for the better. Realistically the nation is worse off in the short term, and at best recovers to where economic activity is somewhat equivalent in the longterm, with the majority's standard of living hampered for the duration (how ppl will really judge this in the end).

Associate
The amount of idealistic economics at the beginning of this thread (and throughout) is staggering. Do people seriously think the pound will rally any time soon? Or that it's drop benefiting the export market is somehow relevant to the worth of the pound in your pocket? PC components have tight margins and high msrps, so the fluctuation in prices has been particularly acute - but it's going to continue across all sectors, from the European/American/Japanese car to the Greek/Portuguese/Spanish fruit that we all buy. Increasing exports will benefit a small section of rich business owners and shareholders in the UK, but life is going back to post-2008 recession times (after we just crawled out of it) for the majority of us, because the UK is not setup as an export market. It's not doom and gloom to be realistic about the UK's grim economic outlook. This is what happens when we depend on politicians to deliver us well reasoned facts and insightful discussion, instead of acknowledging the false dichotomies they present and calling into question their regurgitated talking points (on both sides).

The second I saw that leave had won I pulled the trigger on my amazon cart (a 6700k build), and since then the total for all the parts I bought has increased by £200-300 in just 2 weeks (not including the GPU). However, chaos is a ladder of opportunity, personally I'm excited to start Delboy'ing it up again on eBay as UK consumers are going to move to the second hand market to save money. I switched to a FE 1080 but I'm keeping my (pre-Brexit) Hybrid preorder as the cost has already risen above the 10% eBay margin and EVGA hasn't even announced the official price! This is the kind of positive scalping the UK market needs, getting goods cheap and sharing the deals online - something I've done with Nike shoes for years.

Permabanned
When im reading this makes me smile...

How is pound loosing value amds or nv fault??
You guys hotta remember that UK is only place on this planet using GBP.. So their sales did not take that big hit in worldwide scale!!
We are talking few thousand cards in total that have not been sold due to higher price.

Nv does not care much about it actually with supply they are at its good for them!!!

Soldato
If prices increase further and remain high, then I may have to reconsider my hobby in pc gaming, especially where wanting to game at 1440p is concerned - as my 1080p monitor recently died and the opportunity to get a 1440p monitor and gpu was looking quite good until the Brexit. I guess I will just get a cheap 1080p monitor and keep my 970 for now.

/First world problems.:o

Associate
If prices increase further and remain high, then I may have to reconsider my hobby in pc gaming, especially where wanting to game at 1440p is concerned - as my 1080p monitor recently died and the opportunity to get a 1440p monitor and gpu was looking quite good until the Brexit. I guess I will just get a cheap 1080p monitor and keep my 970 for now.

/First world problems.:o

A 970 is easily enough to drive 1440p.

Soldato
can you please check Gibbo on when new stock of Palit 1070s is arriving?

When I ordered last night was 2 left but the e signature on my finance order didnt go through which I means I missed out on the stock. :(

Associate
Trust me its not. I own one and it is only just about enough for 1080p.

Its ok for 1440p if you turn details down to a low level or are playing an old game.

Ok, I'll take your word on it. I have a friend who owns a 970 and 1440p monitor and his is ok, but he does tend to only play older games. Doom runs pretty well too, but that seems like an exceptionally well optimized game.

Soldato
It does depend on the game.

Tales of Zesteria a game ported from the ps3 to the ps4 and to the pc, can run 4k.
Dragon age inquisition with no msaa but everything else maxed is about 45-50 fps.
GTA5 similar to DAI
Project Cars will get my 970 to about 86% utilisation in thundery weather at 1468 clock at 1080p. 1440p I have to reduce details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom