Sensible next move?

Caporegime
Hi all

I did my CBT in June 2014 and then rode a Yamaha YBR125 for 6 months:

aWoYSuFh.jpg

Then I bought my beloved SV650S, which I'm riding now and it's probably the perfect commuter bike for me (30 mins through country A roads, most weathers):

5Ul3rCOh.jpg

Perfect but for the fact that I'm hankering after more power and a large sports bike, partly for a bit more poke and fun, but to be frank it's mainly because I'm buying into the image of them as I love the look of supersports.

I've done a fair bit of research, looking into the GSXR1000 (don't like the looks), BMW S1000RR (headlights look silly and too expensive), Ducati 1xxx (incredible looks, but too expensive and not practical for commuting given maintenance and cotton wool wrapping), Aprilia RSV4 (lack of local dealer support), and ZX-10R (all the power at the top is common wisdom)...then I came to the Fireblade.

Widely considered a jack of all trades, the Fireblade seems to strike the right balance of price, build quality, and usability for one's first 1000cc bike. There's more torque available at ~4k RPM compared to most other litre bikes, I'm lead to believe.

This Honda CBR1000RR (with an A for the ABS I believe - bronze calipers...) has come up at a place local to me.

s7tJEbKh.jpg

It's a '12 plate 20th anniversary model in HRC colours, 7k miles, up for £8k.

I will be using it for commuting 40 miles round trip per day in (almost) all weathers. The roads on my commute allow me to combine commuting with my hobby, i.e. they're great fun.

Am I going wrong anywhere? Is the price reasonable? Is my thinking about which bike to focus on reasonable?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you had a test ride? After a fruity twin, the IL4 might seem a little boring... Although as a commuter supersports they're probably one of the best.

Just be aware that they're 175bhp... :eek: although it's going to be a lot easier to ride than your SV, you'll literally only need 2 gears!

I passed my test in October 2014 so about the same time as you, and I've now got the need for a 1000cc bike, albeit a v-twin rather an IL4 with 140bhp (but almost the same amount of torque as the 'blade). If the insurance is cheap enough, do it! :D

I would say 8k is a little expensive though, there are cheaper (and lower miles) ones privately.

Soldato
Ive had a few different bikes over the years, Started on a SV650 move to a Street Triple, Gsxr back to Street Triple and Now a CBR600RR... I only commute 10 miles a day and i love what the 600's have to offer for the road.... The CBR has been my favourite bike and its a totally different ride and power delivery to the Twin...

The way i look at it bud is your only here once so go with what you want :D

Soldato
Seems a little pricey, also check out why it has a bazzaz sticker on it, does it have a bazzaz fuel controller on it?

You're paying for the color and 'anniversary edition', I'd be wanting something with traction control for that kind of money.

Caporegime
OP
I'm pretty keen on the R1, the only thing is that there are way more Fireblades to choose from near me than there are R1s. And everyone says the CBR1000RRs are more road-friendly than R1s.

Have you had a test ride? After a fruity twin, the IL4 might seem a little boring... Although as a commuter supersports they're probably one of the best.

Not had a test ride yet. Is there really any danger of me finding a Fireblade boring?!

Seems a little pricey, also check out why it has a bazzaz sticker on it, does it have a bazzaz fuel controller on it?

You're paying for the color and 'anniversary edition', I'd be wanting something with traction control for that kind of money.

Guessing it's a controller but I haven't confirmed yet.

It does seem pricey but there's nothing private with ABS anywhere near me.

Soldato
Not had a test ride yet. Is there really any danger of me finding a Fireblade boring?!

Absolutely not, but you will need to get used to the power delivery. A litre bike has more than enough mid-range torque to short shift through the gears and make pretty decent progress. However, unlike the SV which has pretty much run out of breath by about 10k, the CBR1000RR actually makes peak torque at about 10k and will continue pulling hard to 13k or so.

The exhaust note isn't very interesting at lower RPM though, compared to a V-twin.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really wanted to post about the misguided views that all IL4s are identical and breathless and without power until you get over 10,000 rpm but I think I've probably made my point on that already.

So I'll limit myself instead to observing that you've experienced a substantial buildup of moss over the past few months. It really needs sorting ;)

Soldato
Oh yeah an IL4 1000cc has bucketfulls of torque from anywhere, both the GSX-S1000 and MT10 I've ridden have more than enough shove from 3k rpm. TBH, if I was looking for a lire sportbike to commute on, the Fireblade would be up there. It's a Honda so it'll run without fault, start every morning, and whisk you to work effortlessly.

Soldato
mqvlh.jpg

I imagine :p

Caporegime
OP
What's wrong with R1s?

I'm pretty keen on the R1, the only thing is that there are way more Fireblades to choose from near me than there are R1s. And everyone says the CBR1000RRs are more road-friendly than R1s.

There are a few Honda dealers right on my doorstep but no Yamaha dealers, for some reason. Also your bike is too old for me.

I'm hearing everyone say it's too much money for what it is, but that seems to be the market from what I can see, unless I'm doing something wrong in my search.

MT10s and S1000Rs aren't faired, aren't supersports, and I don't want that type of bike, so I don't know how relevant that is.

Let's say I can get £3k for my SV PX and get them down to £7.5k for the bike, that's £4.5k to change.

Associate
Go for it! Sounds like you made up your mind from the OP.

Fireblades are a good first 1000cc. In comparison to say the 2004 ZX10 or K5/6 GSXR1000 which require a bit of ballwork and respect.

Only thing to be mindful of (if you're working/servicing it yourself) they're a sod to work on, not impossible, just not home diy friendly.

The CP4 R1 2008 onwards is a good shout too, mate had two of them before getting a Gen 2 2012 S1K. Reckoned it was a very easy bike to live with, if a bit down on power compared to other thou's.

Associate
I think you'd be lucky to get £3k for your SV at a dealer, they've got to get it ready to sell, then offer a warranty on it.

Other than that;
All bikes seem to have increased substantially recently, and with our exchange rate buggered, I can only see prices going up further, this will have a knock on effect for 2nd hand bikes too.

I've no idea on price, but I'd say the best / easiest way is to see what similar bikes have sold for on eBay etc.

Finally, people seem to call the fireblade dull because they find it too capable (apparently), though I doubt you'd get anywhere near its limits.

Quite honestly, I've got 2 1000cc twins (sports bikes) and I'm currently looking for something smaller, that takes more to get the most out of.

Soldato
I went from an SV to a CBR600F and I think you will be suprised at just how much more speed you get by moving to an IL4 sports. Yes you have to get used to the fact there is not a lot going on below 5K revs in comparison but you soon get used to it.

By all means look and go for a 1000cc but just wanted to point out you don't have to go that high to get more performance and power than the SV

Back
Top Bottom