Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Just orderd one of these. I have plenty of time and patience to figure out how I am going to have it set up. Just one quick question, I have about 4tb to move from my PC, what is the best way of doing this? I currently have a bog standard virgin media router which I know doesn't cut it. I want to replace it very soon.

Will getting a netgear gigabit switch give me super fast speeds transferring data? Can you get a all in one wiresless router + gigabit switch?

Soldato
I have about 4tb to move from my PC, what is the best way of doing this?

Once mine was set up I just copied my 5TB across from my PC to the router drives (set up as 3 separate drives in bays 2, 3 and 4. (for photos, videos and general). I have a virgin supa-modem with a TP-link 8 way switch. It took a few hours but just left it for the evening. It's a once off so speed doesn't really matter.

Mel

Associate
how about if I just take the drives out of my PC (that just have files on) and plonk it into the server? then over time copy data onto the 4TB drive from within?
I am installing WS12 on a seperate alone drive.

Last edited:
Associate
I am currently installing WS12 on a WD Blue 160gb I had lying around, HP Provisional sees the drive and I can erase it etc but when in WS setup no installation drive is found :( any ideas?

I am booting off USB.

Associate
What modes the controller in?

I can only put it in raid 0. Tried in AHCI and it got recognized but then would not let me install it on the drive. The drive works fine on my PC, been formatted multiple times now.

Getting kinda frustrated! just want to get ws on the dam thing. Thought I would move on to installing the 2016 service pack, made a bootable usb which took ages, then it wont install it, firefox crashes apprently. bah.. not as easy as I thought it would be, slow learning curve I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had a gen8 set up for a while now with server 2012 (trial version) on an SSD in the drive bay, then hyper V running Xpenology for the NAS.

However I've user the rearm trick a couple of times now and I won't be able to extend the trial period again :( So I'll probably look at moving across to an ESXI host, any tips? Will Xpenology recognise the array once it's all re-installed?

Back
Top Bottom