Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Saw a Gamecube in my local retro shop, was £27.50 a good deal? I forgot to ask if it came with all leads and a pad. I just nipped in there for the Godfather 2.. Saw a NES and games but wasn't selling it atm, but he said £60 - £70 ... had to leave it.

Soldato
Gamecube controllers are silly expensive so if it comes with all the cables and the pad is in good shape its worth it imo.
Also, £60-£70 is pretty fair i think. Ive seen them advertised in pie-key Nottingham for around £100!

Soldato
So mypsp collection is looking fantastic. So many gems for so little money so far. Bought a package on bay for 30 notes kept 3 rare games worth about 25 on there own along with 2 others. Sold on and made my money back....win!

Soldato
Looks great! We literally have the same tv and tv unit set up though your collection is much more impressive :)

Thanks!

It's an ideal TV for the setup, larger would annoy me and it sits there lovely!

Been playing anything of late? Just had a wee session of Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Sega Bass Fishing and Ferrari Challenge on the Dreamcast, Sensible on th Megadrive and Burnout 2 on the PS2.

Good times!

Soldato
I don't want to think of the amount of time me and a friend spent on crash mode on that game!

There was a map where it was an airport queue and I somehow got a bus stuck on the barrier and it glitched about break dancing for about 20 seconds. Score went through the roof and never beat it lol

Soldato
I've been watching the Ahoy and Retro Ahoy youtube channel (it's very good have a look! https://www.youtube.com/user/XboxAhoy) and its made me want to have a look at the 16bit consoles. But I'm not sure whether to get a megadrive or a SNES- which is the most accessible in terms of price, availability and price of solid games, reliability?

I'm not after collecting / mint condition stuff either, just playing.

Associate
Finally got round to taking a pic of my N64 last night, put it on Instagram so might as well fire it here too.

P1010261.JPG

Back in its box it goes till i finally move my stuff into my wee games room. Its the NTSC-J Model so i'll need to mod it for the american games. No games yet, but they'll come. But the console itself is in great condition, only 2 minor scuffs and they rest is immaculate, controllers a little worse, but i know they scratch easy so it could be worse. I've got the gold Gamecube too but no controller. again NTSC-J version, but i'll get a pic up once modded and I've got the controller too.

Soldato
I've been watching the Ahoy and Retro Ahoy youtube channel (it's very good have a look! https://www.youtube.com/user/XboxAhoy) and its made me want to have a look at the 16bit consoles. But I'm not sure whether to get a megadrive or a SNES- which is the most accessible in terms of price, availability and price of solid games, reliability?

I would say Mega Drive is a little cheaper, But you'll end up getting both if you get hooked anyway :p

Soldato
Got my PS2 HD Component cable, how much of a better look can I expect over RCA?

I've seen videos but not sure if it does it justice.

Ah finally got it working, forgot to change the output on the PS2, it's so much better.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

You'll probably pay £10-15 more for a SNES console compared to the MD, plus game prices are on a par if you collect cartridge only on SNES compared to CIB for MD.

Probably depends more on what type of games you prefer. I think the MD has better shmups and arcade games. SNES probably has better RPGs and platformers.

But you will end up with both that some point, no matter which one you start with.

Underboss
Finally got round to taking a pic of my N64 last night, put it on Instagram so might as well fire it here too.

P1010261.JPG

Back in its box it goes till i finally move my stuff into my wee games room. Its the NTSC-J Model so i'll need to mod it for the american games. No games yet, but they'll come. But the console itself is in great condition, only 2 minor scuffs and they rest is immaculate, controllers a little worse, but i know they scratch easy so it could be worse. I've got the gold Gamecube too but no controller. again NTSC-J version, but i'll get a pic up once modded and I've got the controller too.

that N64 looks ACE

Is that an odd colour/special edition or is it the camera
I didn't think they where in that colour

Associate
that N64 looks ACE

Is that an odd colour/special edition or is it the camera
I didn't think they where in that colour

Yeah, as above, its the Gold edition(same colour as the golden eye controller i think). It was only available in America(possibly Canada) and Japan. It looks slightly 2 toned but that's just the light playing tricks.

Soldato
I've yet to come across a copy of Space Taxi, or a copy of The Great Giana Sisters that isn't £600 odd..

Found a boxed copy of Elite - Gold Edition by Firebird. Had manuals, and a chart in it for cheap. Is this rare or just worth picking up?

Edit: I was looking into Commodore 64 modding. I found a port plate (along the right hand side, with the 2 controller ports, and the on/off switch) I found a seperate plate, but can't see any way from the outside at least of how it comes off TO replace it? I'd just like to paint it a different colour.

Sounds silly to some maybe but I want to do something..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom