Fine Dining in London without breaking the bank

Soldato
On the note of good service; went to Hawksmoor Guildhall last night for a last minute booking. They were out of bread, which wasn't really an issue as I didn't particularly want any - the plan was to skip a starter, have a massive steak, plough through a bottle of red and go home.

As there was no bread they told us we could have a starter for free to share. I'm not big on their shellfish starters and my girlfriend wasn't up for anything non-fish, so whilst deliberating, we were told we could have one each on the house. Such incredibly good service in there.

Soldato
We were upstairs. It's annoying as the food is very good, the service is pretty poor though and the seats. Imo they're going for style over comfort with the décor, but the others thought it was to free up the tables faster.

Need to try and find decent dim sum in Bristol now. Big fan after that.

I'm amazed service was poor there, Hakkasan group service is usually incredible!

re: duck and waffle, bit biased but the breakfast/brunch is great. I need to get back soon!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Good stuff, so how would you just do dim sum? That is what I'm interested in. How many dishes each or what? Never had dim sum before. Other than self cooked.

I went there with 3 other people and we ordered 3 dishes each from the Dim Sim menu and a plate of noodles (Beef ho fun). It was too much!

In hindsight 10 dishes and the noodles between us would have been fine. Of course it depends on what you order as you get 2/3/6 portions depending on what you have - hence why we bulked out with the noodles.

All the food was amazing and I was gutted I didn't have room for the patisserie/dessert afterwards.

Must haves:
  • Char siu cheung fun
  • Striploin beef and enoki mushroom cheung fun
  • Venison puff
  • Roasted duck pumpkin puff with pine nut
  • Crispy aromatic duck

BB x

Soldato
Let us know how it is! All this talk of dim sum is giving me the itch again. We went to Phoenix Palace near Marylebone which was great. Not swish or trendy but then again the bill was £25 each and we we absolutely could not eat any more :D

I must check out Yuatcha but I always think it's going to cost a bomb. How reasonable is it if you go for a proper Sunday lunchtime dim sum with tea only?

Also want to check out A. Wong in Victoria. That comes very highly rated and the dim sum looks awesome.

Associate
In London to see David Gilmour in September, was planning to take my girlfriend to Le Gavroche for lunch but she can't come now. Would feel a bit awkward eating by myself in such a formal restaurant but still want to try somewhere good - any recommendations?

Soldato
In London to see David Gilmour in September, was planning to take my girlfriend to Le Gavroche for lunch but she can't come now. Would feel a bit awkward eating by myself in such a formal restaurant but still want to try somewhere good - any recommendations?

plenty of time to find a new girlfriend before September :p:p

Soldato
When I started travelling for work my dad's top tip (he travels a lot for business also) was to find somewhere with a bar/counter you can sit at. Much less self conscious than sitting at a table. And you can alwayschat to the chef's. So, sushi is always good for example.

With that in mind I'd recommend Barrafina in Soho? I've not been but it's supposed to be the best tapas in London. Or maybe the aforementioned Yuatcha has a bar to sit at?

Edit: Two places I've been to in Soho is Mishkins and Spuntino. Not Michelin stars but great food.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I know the thread is from january but one suggestion for anyone else is http://www.trishnalondon.com/ . Not usually a fan of indian but we went there one lunchtime with work and it was very good, nice selection of foods, not just curry... £35 for a four course lunch and glass of wine. Near Baker Street Station and has a Michelin star to boot.

Also the Royal China on Baker street is probably the best Chinese I've need to anywhere. We used to go there regularly and it was always very good.

And as always if you like steak and don't like deciding then there is http://www.relaisdevenise.com Steak and Chip heaven.

Soldato
Let us know how it is! All this talk of dim sum is giving me the itch again. We went to Phoenix Palace near Marylebone which was great. Not swish or trendy but then again the bill was £25 each and we we absolutely could not eat any more :D

I must check out Yuatcha but I always think it's going to cost a bomb. How reasonable is it if you go for a proper Sunday lunchtime dim sum with tea only?

Also want to check out A. Wong in Victoria. That comes very highly rated and the dim sum looks awesome.

Yautcha isn't cheap, but Ive generally found that 40-60 a head you should be ok if you stay off the alcohol and things like lobster. Worth checking out the city branch as they have a Sunday offer at £49 per person which includes drinks.

A. Wong is excellent for dim sum, but excellent in general. Well worth a visit.

Caporegime
I love that place! I often go to branch in The City.

We used to go there way to often when I worked nearby.... (Marylebone one) so tasty, and an excuse to leave for lunch early. If you weren't here at opening the queue was a mile long.

Out of interest is the service also very "Parisian"?

Back
Top Bottom