Is this a good deal?

Soldato
I have no experience with buying new cars, infact I generally find it insane, however part of me has the urge. I got sent this deal in an email.

Screenshot_2016-07-10-23-01-36.png

It seems reasonable with the £1k deposit and monthly payments dont seem too crazy, however 48 months is a long commitment to something I guess.

Anyone kind enough to give an opinion? Thanks :)

Don
No. It's £2k less than list price and you're paying a massive 6.7% APR.
Go to the bank, get a loan and then go to dealers and see what deals they will do you.

Soldato

The OPs deal is £18884 (£17884 on credit) with 6.7% APR.

6.7% APR is quite a lot to be paying over 4 years. Total amount payable shows that you end up paying roughly £6k in interest (£25k - £18.9k).

The advantage of a personal loan (even if the rate isn't much better) is that you can pay the loan off early without much of a penalty and avoid loads of interest.

Last edited:
Soldato
6.7 isn't great but it's not OMGINTERESTZ - unless you have a very good credit rating then a personal loan won't be much cheaper.

Oh and it's a PCP, you can pay it off early and avoid the interest, same as with a loan. And the car is pretty much as the broadspeed price once the deposit contribution is taken off. So seems like a reasonable deal to me? It's not an unmissable bargain but if you're in the market for a new Leon then it looks good to me

Skoda have the Octavia 1.4Tsi on 0% PCP but the deposit contribution is a grand less so for the same monthly payments you need more than double the customer deposit. Goes to show its not always about the headline APR, 0% finance deals are never free money :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah okay, can pay off PCP early as well.

Yeh but that is because the optional final payment is a lot lower. You potentially have more equity in the Octavia deal.

You also end up paying £19k total for a £19k OTR car.

In the OPs deal you pay £25k for a £21.2k OTR car.

Last edited:
Associate
In the OPs deal you pay £25k for a £21.2k OTR car.

Only if he decides to keep it after the 4 year term. With PCP, he can simply give it back, or trade it in for another, or keep it and continue to pay it off.

If he does go for a personal loan, he will be paying a lot more than 224 per month over the same 4 year period.

Soldato
Only if he decides to keep it after the 4 year term. With PCP, he can simply give it back, or trade it in for another, or keep it and continue to pay it off.

If he does go for a personal loan, he will be paying a lot more than 224 per month over the same 4 year period.

Yep, but the OP will have paid 6k interest instead of as in the Octavia PCP, building actual equity in the car.

Associate

6.7% APR is quite a lot to be paying over 4 years. Total amount payable shows that you end up paying roughly £6k in interest (£25k - £18.9k).

The advantage of a personal loan (even if the rate isn't much better) is that you can pay the loan off early without much of a penalty and avoid loads of interest.

The interest is £3780. The rest of that 6k difference is manufacturer contribution.

Soldato
No. It's £2k less than list price and you're paying a massive 6.7% APR.

6.7 isn't great but it's not OMGINTERESTZ - unless you have a very good credit rating then a personal loan won't be much cheaper.

Just to point out it's 6.7% representative, not 6.7% APR. Unless I'm mistaken, this means that the actual APR is higher than 6.7%, but they average the total amount of interest paid divided by the number of years and amount of credit and come to 6.7%

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to point out it's 6.7% representative, not 6.7% APR. Unless I'm mistaken, this means that the actual APR is higher than 6.7%, but they average the total amount of interest paid divided by the number of years and amount of credit and come to 6.7%

Representative just means they've taken into account all the charges - the interest is not higher than 6.7%

You're thinking of "flat" interest rates

Soldato
It IS APR - the Annual Percentage Rate.

The rate MAY be higher than 6.7%

Representative just means that it's the rate most people are offered. Your risk profile may mean that you are charged more and you aren't guaranteed to get the representative rate.

Where credit cards or loans use a representative APR, this means 51% of successful applicants will be given the stated interest rate.

If a loan is advertised as being 7.5% representative APR, this means 51% of accepted applicants have to get 7.5% as their rate. The other 49% could get a different rate (which is usually higher).

Of course, some people will be rejected outright.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/personal-loans-apr-examples

Back
Top Bottom