Do you kiss your child on the lips?

Soldato
One of the plague of our world. Analysing every minutia of every day life, seeking public approval or attention, and getting offended over trivialities. Basically, New Age gossip.

I. Couldn't. Care. Less.

Soldato
I've got lots of friends with young kids, there's been many times when I've been saying my goodbyes mum has said "aren't you going to give James a kiss goodbye" then I'd get a face full of baby / toddler slobber on the lips. None of my friends has ever thought anything of it other than its funny because I now have dribble on my mouth (yuk) Why is this now a big deal to some people?

Its completely innocent at such a young age and actually very sweet they want to say goodbye to me :)

Soldato
We aren't a lip kissing family, so we generally kiss cheeks (mum, sisters, dad etc). I actually don't kiss anyone other than my girlfriend and my 5 month old daughter. I see nothing wrong with lip kissing your children. Overtime, I think I'd stop and have them aim for towards a cheek.

Man of Honour
I think when the child is young it's okay, and never really made me go "huh?".

To be honest, adults, and same sex adults kissing one another doesn't phase me in the slightest either.

I still kiss my parents (not on the lips!), but I think that's a very European thing, certainly back home in France and Cyprus it's absolutely normal.

I don't understand why this is focus for attention. What's wrong with the world?!

Soldato
Mumsnet speak:

DH: dear husband
DC: dear child
DS: dear son
DD: dear daughter
DGC: dear grandchild

I've never seen DC or DGC before but have the others. I'm pretty sure that'll be right.

[edit]and I assume DP would be dear partner

I thought it was 'darling' not 'dear'.

Caporegime
Anyone read the article? The conclusion (in the article) is it's had a very positive reaction. No outrage. No injustice.

Also kissing comes from kiss feeding (proper name: Premastication) where the parent would literally chew food for their children, then pass it to them by kissing. Something a lot of rural (I mean rural rural, like Africa rural) folk still do.

In many cultures kissing (either cheek to cheek like the French, but also lips-to-lips) is done as a greeting. Us folk in the UK only switched to hand-kissing because ladies didn't want to mess with their makeup and/or played the whole bashful-hide-behind-a-fan thing.

Caporegime
It's all personal/family preference essentially and the environment you grew up in. Age also plays a big factor for people, little kids crave it essentially and find it funny, once they get older they become more aware of what kissing 'is' and end up shying away.

I personally don't like doing it but then I didn't have the most family orientated upbringing at times. If I had a child I guess it would be a completely different story.

Man of Honour
It's all personal/family preference essentially and the environment you grew up in. Age also plays a big factor for people, little kids crave it essentially and find it funny, once they get older they become more aware of what kissing 'is' and end up shying away.

I personally don't like doing it but then I didn't have the most family orientated upbringing at times. If I had a child I guess it would be a completely different story.

My Dad wasn't affectionate, my Mum was.

I wasn't affectionate at all until I was a parent. My whole viewpoint shifted entirely.

Back
Top Bottom