Reaction Engines SABRE secures next stage of funding!!

Soldato
I've been following this story for some time now and am really excited to see the progress. This is the sort of science the UK should be investing in. If we can be putting cargo in space at a fraction of the current cost it could open the door to all sorts; including easier travel to neighbouring planets.

Man of Honour
Great news, just wish that it didn't take years for each small next step.
Wonder if its money or just sheer engeenering, wouldn't be surprised if its the former

Soldato
What stage would this be??
I had previously read they had overcome a problem with refigeration so as to not melt the internals. I had hoped that this was the final hurdle.

Anyone know whats holding them back now from putting one in the air?

Man of Honour
It was the last technical hurdle.

They are now into building a ground based spread out version for testing. So all parts of the sabre but not packaged together.

Then a flight demonstration model.

Then hopefully production model.

Caporegime
This achievement alone :eek:

ESA has been closely involved with the development of key parts of the SABRE engine – notably the precoolers that are required to cool incoming air from 1,000°C (1,832°F) to –150°C (–238°F) in just a hundredth of a second, without icing up.

Caporegime
Wouldn't this be similar or an evolution of what the American military want? A way to deliver a payload anywhere in the world in ~60 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom