BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Thanks!

I have to say i completely disagree and i don't see how you can make an opinion without driving both cars.

A car is all about how it makes you feel, look, feel, sound, handling etc - the M2 blows my M135i out of the water for each and every one of these points. The M135i is a good car and there is no doubt about that but to think the M2 is just a slightly quicker version that you would only notice the difference on track is in my opinion completely wrong.

I did over 450+ miles on the Nurburgring in my M135i over the last 3 years and a track day @ Beford (where incidentally i blew the engine, DOH) so i'm in a good position to pass judgement. Not tracked the M2 yet obviously so its impossible to comment track v track but road v road and the difference in the cars is very noticeable :)

Sam

I didn't say it wasn't noticeable, I agree it is very noticeable indeed, but I just don't think it really shows itself up as an issue until you're pushing hard. Whilst I've not driven the M2 yet I have driven the M4 so I know exactly what you're talking about and they are, unquestionably, worlds apart.

My point is that I just don't see it being a problem at the speeds you regularly do on the roads.

Anyway, like I said, it's a lovely car and I hope you enjoy it! What options did you choose in the end?

Soldato
Why are you running around for this guy? Sounds like a bit of a chump!
Great way to mitigate against it is to purchase the bmw insured warranty!

I'm helping him out because he's a good friend. His views on cars dont really align with mine, but it's good that it's not what friendships are about :)

I didnt know if there were certain VIN numbers which were affected, preventative measures etc

Soldato
I didnt know if there were certain VIN numbers which were affected, preventative measures etc

I don't know if there are any possible preventative measures, but as I understand it, it stems from the timing chain supposedly being a "fit for life" part, which is extremely difficult to get to (I think it's an engine out job).

At my previous company we had a few BMWs (mix of E90s and F10s) with the 2L 4-pot diesel, all doing similar miles (between 30-40k / year) and only one of them suffered the problem in the 4 years we had them. I moved on before I'd had mine for 4 years, but it went back on just over 100k miles never having had a problem. My colleague's car did suffer the problem at only 2 1/2 years old at around 95K miles IIRC. I believe the repair bill came to ~£6K, but obviously covered under warranty.

Soldato
I'm guessing the 530D doesnt suffer from it? But those are probably out of budget. What about the 2.0 525D? - there seem to be one or 2 of those around

Soldato
I'm guessing the 530D doesnt suffer from it? But those are probably out of budget. What about the 2.0 525D? - there seem to be one or 2 of those around

the 3L engine doesn't suffer from the problem AFAIK, and I think that the 2L engine in the 525D is a later variant of the one that did have problems, but I'm not sure whether it's a known issue with them or not.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;29777782 said:
The most over-rated and over-priced M car out there. It's a slightly better M3, not a CSL, yet the values of them are getting insane and representing an ever bigger disconnect between M3 and M3 CS for no good reason. It's virtually the same car!

I'd say it is the best E46 M3, but I am amazed at what they are going for. Glad I bought one now! I put mine up for tentative sale on cutters and my PM inbox is full.

Caporegime
I'm helping him out because he's a good friend. His views on cars dont really align with mine, but it's good that it's not what friendships are about :)

Good friend or not he's clearly not listening to someone with sage advice (you). He's scraping for bottom budget f10s whilst not willing to consider the best mitigation against a potentially very expensive issue.
If he's not willing to take your advice, stop advising him!

Sam

Sam

Soldato
I didn't say it wasn't noticeable, I agree it is very noticeable indeed, but I just don't think it really shows itself up as an issue until you're pushing hard. Whilst I've not driven the M2 yet I have driven the M4 so I know exactly what you're talking about and they are, unquestionably, worlds apart.

My point is that I just don't see it being a problem at the speeds you regularly do on the roads.

Anyway, like I said, it's a lovely car and I hope you enjoy it! What options did you choose in the end?

Lets be honest on most peoples traffic filled work commute you could be driving a Mclaren P1 and it wouldn't be dissimilar to a BMW M135i :D My work commute is 4-5 miles of 5-30MPH traffic... fantastic fun.

Thank you, i went for:

M-DCT
Sun protection pack
Heated front seats
Heated steering wheel (yes i did)
Harman Kardon
Folding mirrors

Weirdly for a BMW the car was quite well specced ...

Sam

Last edited:
Soldato

Genuinely sporty drivers see the problem. ;)

If he's not willing to take your advice, stop advising him!

I gave up helping friends who didn't listen very quickly when my sister wanted a Micra CC about 6 years ago, wouldn't listen to me tell her not to buy one, bought one, then I got the blame for it some how 5 years with some very odd revisionist history about me not stopping her, as if I could have done some how... (it was her money and she was 23 years old at the time)

Soldato
Lets be honest on most peoples traffic filled work commute you could be driving a Mclaren P1 and it wouldn't be dissimilar to a BMW M135i :D My work commute is 4-5 miles of 5-30MPH traffic... fantastic fun.

Thank you, i went for:

M-DCT
Sun protection pack
Heated front seats
Heated steering wheel (yes i did)
Harman Kardon

Weirdly for a BMW the car was quite well specced ...

Sam

Good choices, when I spec'd one up I went for similar, though I didn't choose the heated wheel or sun protection pack but had the folding mirrors instead. Generally the proper M cars are well equipped as standard, but for the price they really should be!

Genuinely sporty drivers see the problem. ;)

I prefer to keep that sort of driving to the track. On the road you can't even get close to the limits that you get to on track, and for me it just doesn't have the same appeal. Sure, a bit of a blast through some country lanes is always fun, but the M135i's chassis is more than capable enough for that.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Sorry i also have the auto mirrors, although god knows why you cannot set them to fold upon locking without having to hold the button!

Soldato
So after placing my order with BMW back in September 15 i finally collected my car on Monday and couldn't be more pleased. On a completely different level to my M135i which was a good car but just too much of an "all rounder" which to me left it pretty boring after the first years ownership.
IMG_2060_zpsmzjxtwdy.jpg

IMG_2062_zpsm45tswy6.jpg

IMG_2069_zps9oj4w7zw.jpg

Seriously considering having the car treated with Gtechniq serum light, has anyone else had this treatment as I've heard some pretty good things about it?

Sam

That looks great, I like how they've gone back to the E46 era of giving it wider arches etc, really makes it stand out! I can see why they say it's the spiritual successor to the E46!

Be nice if they make a convertible version for us hairdresser types..

Man of Honour
Its a bit more than his budget but how does this look?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606245218352

Appreciate that it's slower than a 530d without the economy of the 520d, but I cant see any 530Ds that nice at that sort of price

The 525d at least offers the nice refinement of a 6 cylinder. Just low enough miles for the warranty too but I somehow doubt he's going to want to pay 100 quid a month for that..

Unsure I have ever been "genuinely sporty" on the road. :(

It's more something you bang on about over the internet.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29780517 said:
The 525d at least offers the nice refinement of a 6 cylinder. Just low enough miles for the warranty too but I somehow doubt he's going to want to pay 100 quid a month for that..

He wont be getting the warranty, but at least it doesnt have the timing chain issue and the refinement. Any other potential money pit issues with something like that?

Man of Honour
He wont be getting the warranty, but at least it doesnt have the timing chain issue and the refinement. Any other potential money pit issues with something like that?

Yes - many - it's a complex current generation car. Little is known about the longer term reliability of these and few ZF8HP's have begun going wrong yet.

I'm blazing a trail with the oldest F10 you can get and the box hasn't blown up yet I guess :p

Soldato
Thanks Fox, I've been trying to explain the complexity and potential cost of these things but he's pretty determined that it will never go wrong because its a BMW... He's pretty set on not doing the sensible thing and gettting a Mazda 6 or Superb so if I can at least make him aware of the potential issues then he can make his own mind up. Unfortunately he seems to be of the mindset that I own a Saab, so my advice should be taken with a pinch of salt!

How many miles on yours now?

Back
Top Bottom