Which laptop? i7 6820hk vs i5 6600

Associate
Currently trying to decide between two very similar specced laptops, both 980m. The only significant difference is one has a desktop i5 6600 cpu and the other an i7 6820hk.

The i7 is £1409 and the i5 is £1459. The most cpu intensive activity I'll be doing is gaming so I'm leaning towards the desktop cpu, what do the good people of the laptop forum think? Both have a thunderbolt port so would either cpu bottleneck a 980ti, 1070/80 significantly worse than the other?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Think I'll go for the desktop cpu, only gaming at 1080p, doubt it would bottleneck even an nvidia 1080 if I go down the external gaphics card option next year. Not too worried about the extra power drain, will be plugged in most of the time anyway. Just hope the heat is manageable during longer gaming sessions.

Soldato
You will find the desktop CPU systems have larger cooling systems to compensate. The desktop CPU will actually turbo harder for longer so you will see higher gaming FPS unless it can use hyperthreading (pretty rare).

Soldato
Stock performance is similar between them. There are few things to also consider. The 6820 is able to turbo all cores at max MHz. It is also very overclockable. I have this in a gaming laptop and it quite happily sits at 4.1GHz which is a lot faster than a 6600. It also uses less power which is important in a laptop. The 6820 also has hyperthreading.

Soldato
Both chips are the same so power will he identical at the same frequency and voltage. The 6820hk clocking will depend on the system but under truly stressful situations the desktop cpu will turbo harder for longer.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah I have been considering tdp, but surely the power draw increases or at least varies when turbo is being used. I discounted it a bit because the battery life isn't really a feature I'm worried about. Not going to be using it out and about, it's just I spend my year in 3 different places in France and UK so just don't want to move a desktop and monitor around each time I move.

Back
Top Bottom