Do you kiss your child on the lips?

Soldato
I dont have children,But if i did would i kiss one of them on the lips?..not really it just wouldn't feel right to me,a bit weird.

A kiss on the lips vs the cheek is completely different i think.

Associate
I find it weird that others think kissing their children is something taboo... I was always kissed on the lips by my loving family (mum and dad) until I was old enough to decline as most kids will at some point.

It's a pretty clear distinction in both mentality and physical contact between a sexual kiss and a loving peck on the lips, even kissing my wife goodbye in the morning for example isn't sexual either. I kiss all my family in my household because I love them.

It seems like those who don't understand that must obviously have lacked much physical affection in their own upbringing.

Caporegime
It seems like those who don't understand that must obviously have lacked much physical affection in their own upbringing.

Lol, generalisation much?

I used to hate getting lip kisses from my gran as a kid, but got plenty of hugs, cuddles and other forms of affection from my loved ones. Since when did a kiss on the lips become the grand high poobah of love and affection?

Maybe I only want to share saliva with the person I regularly do so :p

Soldato
Sounds like a Lannister family reunion.

I had coffee come out my nose reading this.

Personally, I reserve lip kisses for people I am romantically involved with only, everyone else gets cheek pecks. I will do the same when I have children.

Kissing is a pretty weird biological and societal thing when you think about it. Some theories are that the reason we like snogging is due to some sort of low-tech genetic sampling process when we were cave-people :D

Once you have children, you'll change your story ;)

Soldato
Hmm, I always got a peck on the cheek or forehead myself, think maybe remember the odd kiss on the lips but barely so must have been exceptionally young. Wouldn't say a little peck is something I would see as inappropriate if I saw it in the street etc but to a point maybe un-necessary?

Strange how people dismiss people who do find it inappropriate or odd when clearly it is split and to do with upbringing rather than automatically associating it with sexual activity. And both sides consider each other weird :p

Man of Honour
Strange how people dismiss people who do find it inappropriate or odd when clearly it is split and to do with upbringing rather than automatically associating it with sexual activity. And both sides consider each other weird :p

However many of the 'no' camp are associating it with sex such as 'I kiss my wife/girlfriend on the lips' or 'I only swap spit with ......' etc.

It is something that has been normal to me and different people get a different style of greeting even though Moses thinks I'm trolling.
For instance I have 4 Sister in Laws, one gets kissed on the lips while 2 get kissed on the cheek and the other one gives a greeting of squeezing the top of my arm.
My guitarists partner gets a kiss on the lips while the other 3 band members partners get a peck on the cheek.
To be honest it's something I've never thought about before.

Caporegime
I don't have children (yet) but I think I'd find it weird to kiss them on the lips. The only people I've ever kissed on the lips are sexy-times partners, oh, and a French girl I knew who kissed everybody on the lips when she was drunk but only other continental types on the lips when she was sober. I had a Spanish friend who said she was looking forwards to going home because no-one touched her in the UK and she found it really cold.

I find it very strange that people are so tightly bound to their upbringing that they'd be freaked out, or think it was wrong in some way, that other people behave with different norms.

Associate
I will continue to kiss my son on the lips until he decides he does not want to do it anymore (he's currently 4). Don't see anything wrong with it personally.

Soldato
My ex has a son who is now 3 and I have been there for him since he was 6 months old and he kind treats me like dad and when I say bye I ask him for a kiss and he kisses me on the lips.

Nothing wrong with that, he is showing affection. I am sure as he get's older it will stop naturally and it will be a kiss on the cheek and hand shake after that etc.

People need to grow up if they feel anything socially awkward about it.

Back
Top Bottom