Brighton and Hove

Soldato
This area is one im considering moving to in the relatively near future and was wondering if there are any members about that live there?

Am i right in thinking brighton is a bit younger and active and hove is more of a family area? loads of flats in brighton, more houses in hove etc?

Any areas that should be avoided? :o

Soldato
I lived in Brighton for a year last year whilst at uni. It's easily my favourite city I've ever visited by far. Just like any city you see a wide variety of people living there and visiting.

Hove I've only been to a few times. Had two buddies that lived there and as a whole it wasn't as nice as Brighton IMO. Still has just as many flats too so don't worry about one having more houses or flats than the other.

You get a lot of houses in Brighton when you get away from the city center. But the entire city isn't that big. I lived in a place called Coldean pretty much one of the first areas as you come of the M3? (can't rememeber of the top of my head. The road that links the m25 to Brighton). And it took my 10/15 minutes to drive from there to the seafront. (A lot of brighton is a 20mph speedlimit too.

Like all cities though too it has its rough areas as well although even the rough areas in brighton arent that bad. Especially compared to Nottingham where I moved to this year.

I'd recommend Brighton, I loved it so much just a shame the Uni wasn't good for my course.

And in this weather you can go down to the seafront and sit at all the clubs and have a drink (they open up as bars during the day).

It really depends what your moving for, what you enjoy doing and who you're moving with (family or on your own etc)

Soldato
Lived there for many years!

Areas to probably avoid would be Coldean, Moulsecoomb, Bevendean and Whitehawk but tbh, they're not exactly the Bronx. Lots of students will live around the Lewes Road area (along the 25 bus route) so if you want to avoid studenty areas avoid there.

Hove is a little less "young" but to be honest the city is so small and the buses can get you around so quick. I preferred Hove as I preferred living somewhere quieter but having the vibrancy within a short bus ride or walk. Hove IMO is nicer than Brighton, if I was to move back to the city I would choose Hove over Brighton 100%.

Property is very expensive down here, and quite a lot of the properties are old and can have damp issues where the landlords really don't care as they'll still be able to rent their flat.

Parking is an absolute nightmare in the inner city areas. The city is well known for it's parking enforcement and most of the place is residents only permits and you're likely to have to wait a few months before you can obtain a permit due to it being oversubscribed.

Brighton and Hove bin collectors also like to strike every now and then, that's never pleasant.

More information about you would be useful, if you're wanting to rent a flat, buy a house etc. etc.

Soldato
Lived there for many years!

Areas to probably avoid would be Coldean, Moulsecoomb, Bevendean and Whitehawk but tbh, they're not exactly the Bronx. Lots of students will live around the Lewes Road area (along the 25 bus route) so if you want to avoid studenty areas avoid there.

Hove is a little less "young" but to be honest the city is so small and the buses can get you around so quick. I preferred Hove as I preferred living somewhere quieter but having the vibrancy within a short bus ride or walk. Hove IMO is nicer than Brighton, if I was to move back to the city I would choose Hove over Brighton 100%.

Property is very expensive down here, and quite a lot of the properties are old and can have damp issues where the landlords really don't care as they'll still be able to rent their flat.

Parking is an absolute nightmare in the inner city areas. The city is well known for it's parking enforcement and most of the place is residents only permits and you're likely to have to wait a few months before you can obtain a permit due to it being oversubscribed.

Brighton and Hove bin collectors also like to strike every now and then, that's never pleasant.

More information about you would be useful, if you're wanting to rent a flat, buy a house etc. etc.

I was one of the young students but obviously I enjoyed the city more for that reason. :p

But I second what has been said about the areas he has listed. All very studenty but being a student I never battered an eyelid. Although there are students pretty much everywhere.

Rent was expensive enough for a student and I know a friend that bought a quite gross house in Bevendean that was 3 bed for just shy of 300k if i remember correctly. That was only in September.

Soldato
I live quite close to Brighton - It's a great place for younger people. As you've mentioned in the OP, Brighton is younger and more active, Hove is more family orientated.

Man of Honour
You can't just go parking your motorbike anywhere it must be crammed into one of the Solo M/C only bays!

That's what I've learnt from visiting a friend that lives down there.

Also I don't care what anyone says if there's no sand it's not a beach :mad:

Associate
Like mentioned above, avoid moulscombe, white hawk, mile oak, pyecombe.

It's very expensive, depending on your budget/expectations -

Brighton centre/Laines are very expensive, small but right in the best parts. Don't buy a big car or better yet, ride a bike and learn to like falafals :p

Upper end areas include around Hove Park, West hove/Withdean or Roedean.

Cheaper suburbs within 20 mins include Shoreham, Ovingdean, Portslade, rottingdean which are all family orientated.

I wouldn't live anywhere else in the UK.

Hope this helps!

Soldato
Brighton is great. I lived in Shoreham-by-Sea (goes Brighton - Hove - Shoreham on the train line) for 6 years and loved it. It's worth checking out Shoreham btw - quieter, pretty, slightly cheaper - the only reason I moved back to town was for work. The beach is a nature reserve, which means no deck chair salesmen and space for the family on a sunny day, and it's the kite surfing capital of the UK if you fancy that. I plan on moving back when I've made my fortune :)

Soldato
Peacehaven is worth a look, not much out there but considerably cheaper and it's a straight run along the seafront into Brighton.

avoid white hawk,

U wot m8, ill cut u.

Kidding, but it's really not that bad here. It's 15 mins walk from the seafront, 5 minutes from views like this: http://i.imgur.com/dbOxM.jpg

Even it's rough by Brighton standards it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Peacehaven is worth a look, not much out there but considerably cheaper and it's a straight run along the seafront into Brighton.

U wot m8, ill cut u.

Kidding, but it's really not that bad here. It's 15 mins walk from the seafront, 5 minutes from views like this: http://i.imgur.com/dbOxM.jpg

Even it's rough by Brighton standards it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation.

Noooo don't live in Peacehaven, unless you want to feel about 80 :D:p

There is literally nothing there, it's also far too close to Newhaven which is not a good thing

Soldato
not sure that's what you'd call a view, just a picture of a fence and grass path?! :confused:

It's 220 acres of protected countryside literally at my doorstep with loads of wildlife etc. not something council estates generally have.

I don't have many decent pics, I'm at work so all I can find is one from ages ago when it snowed:

4CxxVZD.jpg Click for bigger.

Noooo don't live in Peacehaven, unless you want to feel about 80 :D:p

There is literally nothing there, it's also far too close to Newhaven which is not a good thing

Like I said, nothing there. but it's cheap and takes no time to get into Brighton.

Caporegime
I know a couple of people who commute from there to London, though they bought large terrace houses near the station over a decade ago... these days it looks like you'd pay a couple of million for the same sort of thing - so price wise not too far off some areas of London (zone 3 etc..)

Soldato
Hove feels like going back in time compared to Brighton. The town centre is full of chain shops that I thought had closed down years ago. There's plenty of new flats near the station though.

Isn't Whitehawk up and coming, with its hipster football team and all? :p

Soldato
used to love Brighton and was going to move there myself a few years back, but after a couple of visits a while back I swore I would never go back, and I didnt.

begging, muggings, immigrants, drugs, house prices, tourist trap prices, garbage restaurants, just all too much in the end.

Hove on the other hand seems quite peaqcefull and far enough away to avoid the dross when you want to.

Tea Drinker
Don
I've worked in Croydon by Sea for the last two years and I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than move there. It's foul and if the council didn't constantly clean it it'd be disgusting in three hours.

However Shoreham and Hove are nice. East towards Newhaven is a bit like gods waiting room till you get to Newhaven then it's very industrial.

Soldato
OP
I will be looking to buy somewhere, nothing massive but hopefully something nice. Maybe a two bedroom flat..Although saying that, already living in a seaside town, im about ready to kill myself for lack of parking so might be a good idea getting somewhere bigger that has a drive :o

At present it will only be for a couple of years but who knows, if i like it maybe ill stay for longer.

Im not a massively social person so im not too bothered about clubs and pubs etc, im just a nerd who wants a good internet connection :o

Its good to see an overwhelmingly positive response from people living in brighton. sounds like a good place

Back
Top Bottom