Best Dev Environment for Front End Work?

Soldato
One thing that annoys me about Dreamweaver is that it is incapable of displaying the code as you would see it in the browser.

As in the WYSIWYG editor?

I love using it but can't understand why they haven't just implemented Webkit, Gecko, Trident, Blink and allow live switching between them.

Associate
Personally I like to just use Visual Studio 2015, though I also do a lot of development for desktop.

I hear lots of good things about Visual Studio Code which is essentially a cut down version of VS aimed more towards web development,it gives syntax highlighting, intellisense, Git support etc. Notepad++ is also a good option.

Associate
I've moved to Visual Studio Code from Atom / Notepad++ and it's pretty good so far. I use Visual Studio for major projects but Code is working well for everything else.

I guess it depends on what features you are looking for, there is a large number of extensions that add additional functionality to visual studio code but it won't give you WYSIWYG functionality. It does have good git integration, syntax highlighting and intellisense though!

Associate
Personally am a big fan of VS2015 (paid), it's just a nice and intuitive IDE. But Sublime Text is also very good with an unlimited amount of plugins and is somewhat free.

Associate
Yeah JetBrains make great IDEs. Forgot about Webstorm. It is good if you want an IDE rather than just a text editor for front-end development.

Associate
I Love Atom, But then I write all my frontend code and just refresh the browser where it will show you a "correct" preview.

I always found things like Dreamweaver add in so much bloat code that just made stuff act oddly, Then this was many many years ago.

Soldato
I use PHP Storm for most of the projects I work on, Sublime for little things. For the rest of the env, I use homestead for the bigger projects where I need to match the production sever, or MAMP and CodeKit for the day to day stuff.

Back
Top Bottom