should i upgrade to win 10 ??

Associate
Hi,

Just wondering eather to upgrade or not, im on Wind 7 at the min.

I mainly use my pc to surf the net and play games and i am quite happy with win 7 at the min and was worried about the ball ache in upgrading.

Is it worth it for me do you think??

many thanks
Damian

How old is your PC (what are the specs)?

Do you have a lot of older hardware/software?

If your PC is old and you have a lot of older hardware/software then I would say no. If your PC is newer and you run newer software then the answer is probably yes.

Soldato
I wish Intel and AMD had organised their release schedule and released a new motherboard chipset by now.

If I upgrade to W10 then is it possible to re-use Window 8.1 key on new build when I replace system? It's retail key as retained licence from upgrading Vista retail to 8.0, then 8.1. And can I revoke W10 key from old motherboard before I sell it on?

Soldato
Agree with linktoinsanity

(@Bane , NO, NO, unless you roll-back from 10 in the 30/31 days your transferable/retail 8.1 is lost and the 10 would be tied to mb - hypothetically if your 10 mb broke and new system had mostly same components maybe they would authorise a new mb, if you had the 8.1 retail key noted ? )

Soldato
Yep go for it, btw my brother did a upgrade on his old Lenovo laptop, almost 10 years old and it was very smooth upgrade from Win7, all his old software works as well, so even if you have an old PC/Laptop you should at least try your luck.

As always you should have all your important software backed up regardless and that goes for any OS you use ie Vista,Win7,Win10, or even Linux.

Associate
tl;dr

Is that the range of settings that are other features, but happen to allow 'tracking' all over again? The features that are also in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 ?
The features they allowed you to turn off since well before the actual release of Windows 10?

Man of Honour
tl;dr

Is that the range of settings that are other features, but happen to allow 'tracking' all over again? The features that are also in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 ?
The features they allowed you to turn off since well before the actual release of Windows 10?

Not quite sure what you are saying but 7 and 8.1 don't have the kind of telemetry, etc. tracking that 10 does (there are some more recent optional updates that include some of that kind of stuff but easy to avoid).

It is obvious with 10 that MS long ago left behind any consideration of the end user and that aspect alone should give people pause to consider whether they want to use it it or not.

Man of Honour
DirectX 12 will not be available on earlier versions of Windows. So if you have decent hardware and are gaming it's time to upgrade.

That is true sadly and why I will end up dual booting, fortunately looks like Vulkan is gaining a fair bit of traction which does work on older OSes.

Man of Honour
Yes, of course. You're going to be stuck on 7 forever otherwise.

Aside from DX12 what do you really lose out on if you are stuck on 7? :p the new start menu system maybe if they ever spend the time to develop it properly into what it should be.

If you list any of the things that people are most likely to use in an OS like one drive, networking, multi monitor support, windows explorer, aesthetics, compatibility, themes/colour control, control panel, device integration, drivers, etc. all of them are a step backwards from 7/8 or poor implementations while a lot of time has been spent on features that either no one wants or hardly anyone uses and would have been better provided through the Windows store maybe via a sponsored 3rd party developer rather than integrated at OS level (none the least causing a lot of extra time, storage space, downloading, etc. for updates for people who don't use them).

Sure can mention things like future security updates/support :S and there are some nice kernel level performance/threading and stability improvements (often undone by the shell layer however).

Associate
That's not for at least another four years though. OP - steer well clear for the time being, it's a complete cackshow.

I decided to grab the free upgrade figuring I could always just roll back to win7, so I prepped out the arse just to be safe - backed up all my files, downloaded copies of all the vital system drivers for both win7 and win10. I started at 9am yesterday morning, and only just now managed to battle my way back into a functional(touch wood) win7 install.

First I wasted hours trying to get the bloody upgrade tools to work and run the upgrade all the way through; next you have to dig in and try and find all the little hidden ways the OS is going to try and spy on you and disable them, those you can anyway; then you try and figure out how to not make it look like arse and find out they've inexplicably disabled the dark theme and the supposed regedit fix doesn't work, so you have to download third party themes, enjoy another wasted hour; then you find out win10 has some really stupid flaw that causes non-windows app programs(ie all the ones you care about) to have really blurry eyestrain-inducing text and spend another hour fannying about trying to fix that without success; and finally you say f-it and decide to roll back to win7.

But wait! For some inexplicable reason, rolling back has broken your network adapter! So now you have to spend another five hours ****ing about with USB sticks, diagnostic tools & drivers, and your crappy old laptop(for internet access) to coax it back to life.

If you really think you'll need the free upgrade(ie, if you intend to upgrade your OS before you next upgrade your motherboard, since doing that invalidates your free key for win10), trust me - take an image of your boot drive, run the upgrade-then-rollback process, and just immediately overwrite whatever twisted mutant you get back at the end with aforementioned image to save you the bother of trying to get it functional again.

I genuinely thought after a year win10 would be if not a welcome upgrade then at least a tolerable inconvenience, but I think now win7 will be my new XP and I'll just have to hope they get their crap together before they stop security updates for it.

Man of Honour
I dunno why MS don't just implement a privacy slider (from off to basic through to everything) to control all those settings in one go - while I'm not overly bothered by generic telemetry/usage logging I generally disable most privacy related stuff but I'm forever finding that new privacy stuff that needs disabling appears in updates or previous settings become reverted to default states, etc.

Back
Top Bottom