Google Navigation & Speed Camera Alerts

Associate
Hi,

I use Google Maps for my Sat Nav in my car on my andriod mobile.
As far as I can tell there is no option for speed camera alerts !

Is there a plugin or add on App for speed cameras while using Google maps ! ?

Many thanks

T

Soldato
I believe Sygic do an overlay that can be used with Google Maps.

I've just swapped over to Waze to give it a go, so far i've got mixed opinions. I do like the speed limit feature, but you can't tell road congestion on Waze unlike with Google Maps - Waze just has one big purple line to show the route you're taking - at least with Google Maps you can see the red/yellow for congestion.

Also, although i've not paid too much attention yet, i don't think the directions interface is as good as Google Maps.

They could do with plugging the Waze API directly into Google Maps.

Edit: Another feature i do like with Waze is the ability to set a stop within your route - i.e. a service station stop.

Soldato
I keep ending up back with tomtom , it might be £15 a year ( or £35 for 3 years) but it just does it all so well. That has free maps, hd traffic and speed cameras with some of the best routing and ui out there.

Each to their own, I use waze occasionally although far less once I realised I could share my Tomtom subscription between devices.

Soldato
I believe Sygic do an overlay that can be used with Google Maps.

I've just swapped over to Waze to give it a go, so far i've got mixed opinions. I do like the speed limit feature, but you can't tell road congestion on Waze unlike with Google Maps - Waze just has one big purple line to show the route you're taking - at least with Google Maps you can see the red/yellow for congestion.

Also, although i've not paid too much attention yet, i don't think the directions interface is as good as Google Maps.

They could do with plugging the Waze API directly into Google Maps.

Edit: Another feature i do like with Waze is the ability to set a stop within your route - i.e. a service station stop.

The roads go red on Waze just like on Google maps. Google own Waze so they share data, but on Waze there are things that don't always make it to Google.

Soldato
For a free app, I'd go with Waze.

TomTom's free speed camera app will run in the background with other apps and give spoken alerters about cameras.

Waze has let me down , giving stupid routes a few too many times. Most of the time I use TomTom Go. It's worth paying for, IMO, although that may change if Google and Waze continue to improve.

Soldato
The roads go red on Waze just like on Google maps. Google own Waze so they share data, but on Waze there are things that don't always make it to Google.

Yep well aware that Google own Waze. And they may share data but it's likely their API's are completely different.

Two rough examples i could find - close to what i mean:
mAlY6sM.png

As you can see on the Waze route - it's all purple, whereas on the Google Maps route you can see there's a congestion spot (yellow block).

Soldato
Yep well aware that Google own Waze. And they may share data but it's likely their API's are completely different.

As you can see on the Waze route - it's all purple, whereas on the Google Maps route you can see there's a congestion spot (yellow block).

Not sure why on those examples Waze isn't showing traffic but when I use it , it shows traffic and speed of the flowing traffic.

Soldato
Can you not just pay attention to signs and the cameras themselves?

After a few years of driving, this tbh. I used to use speed camera alerts, but it's pretty much useless and just annoying. So have turned it off.

Camera's aren't exactly difficult to miss, massive yellow boxes with lines on the road. If you are, then you have other concerns.

They do help with red light cameras, but I never go through a red light anyway.

Soldato

I've just tried the same on Google Maps and Waze on my phone. I think Waze does what you are asking for:

Yuy72eIl.png.jpg

saEUtitl.png.jpg

Associate
Not answering the question at all but another vote for TomTom Go, everything already has been stated above but the brilliant traffic avoidance makes it well worth the £15 a year. It's never let me down yet and it's saved me a ton of time, even if it only saves me an hour it's practically paid for itself already.

Soldato
TomTom speed camera app (free isn't it?) with the overlay on top of Google Maps..

I only use it in one of the vans that doesn't have the clocks/speedo wired up as it also has a GPS speed overlay, other than that I generally pay full attention and would be able to spot a speed camera.. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom