Seems like car dealer assigned incorrect license

Associate
Hi all,

I purchased a new car 10 months ago and the dealer assigned me a license number. This was confirmed in an email and on the order number. I purchased insurance and GAP with this insurance. VW sent me a roadside assistance card with the registration number. The physical plate on the car is actual different to this. I'm not sure why I hadn't picked up on this, I guess I just trusted the paperwork and cards.

When I do a registration search on the number that is physically on my car it comes back with a Ford Transit van. When I search for the VW assigned number it comes back with nothing. I'm very surprised that I haven't been pulled over by police via ANPR.

I'm assuming the car dealership has registered the incorrect license number, or given me the wrong plates for the car. I'm planning on heading to VW in the morning as they're closed, to find out what can be done, but it looks like I may incur fees to change license numbers on my insurance products.

Has anyone had this before? Appreciate I probably should have coined sooner but guessing VW may well have to compensate me for the change of details?

A.

Caporegime
Not quite the same, but when my mother bought her last Fiesta, it had a different plate front to back (one character) that went unnoticed for a few months.

I can't imagine you'll have many problems, assuming all your documents and insurance details are correct, with the actual numberplate associated with the VIN, then the plates on the car are just pieces of plastic that can (and should) be changed.

Granted it's lucky that you've had no issues thus far, but swapping over to the correct plates isn't going to take long.

Associate
Not quite the same but a similar thing. Mam got a parking ticket for a place she never was on a ~3 month old car, appealed a few times, called a liar a couple of times on the phone etc. Finally got the photos and it was a completely different car, Nissan Navara (rather than a Nissan Juke), even to the point that the Taggarts logo was visible on the reg plates. Obviously Taggarts Nissan denied this was possible and the Police took over the case and we haven't heard a word since, so either some Mechanic in Taggarts is on the wind up or they have put the wrong plates on one of the cars. If you're going to clone a reg you're surely going to pick a car of at least the same model.

Caporegime
Back when I was a motoring noob, I took my Corsair to Kwik Fit for an MOT (I know right?) and one of the things they failed it on was an "illegible front plate" which they of course replaced for £35. Except that they swapped two numbers around. It was only picked up on at the next MOT. Never had any issues but I did wonder why it never registered on the congestion charge :eek:

Back
Top Bottom