Looking at a new build... what to recycle from my 4 year old rig?!

Soldato
So I am looking at going for a new gaming build at the moment, probably spending about £1500 on it and just wondering what I should be keeping from my old system. I suspect it will just be the hard drives but if there is anything I can salvage from it then it is money saved I guess. The remainder of the items I am going to use to make a little media machine to live in the living room to stream all my music, films etc on the TV.

So really simple is there anything worth keeping from the following:

Corsair Force GS 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbs Solid State Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache
MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti OC Twin FrozR II 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Akasa 1000w AK-P100FG PSU

I will probably be making a return to these forums quite a bit to start trying to get back up to speed with the latest components etc after taking a 2 year break from PC gaming (gotta quit that WOW addiction some how).

Cheers in advance!

Caporegime
The CPU is still OK, you can also overclock them to 4.5GHZ minimum once a £20-30 cooler is fitted.

So grab a GFX card (1070/1080 etc).

Fit a bigger SSD as game installs are getting larger.

You will probably want the motherboards BIOS to be up to date.

What monitor do you have? maybe consider a nice new Gsync one 1440P+ resolution.

Caporegime
So get a big ass monitor/Gysnc/IPS (maybe)/1440P/16:9/21:9 etc.

A GFX card and SSD and see how you find that.

Then if you are still not happy then do the cpu/board/ram exchange.

P.S what OS do you use? maybe upgrade to Win10 for the newer DX12 stuff.

Soldato
OP
Actually just looking at upgrading to Windows 10 today so hopefully that will make a difference... Having a hard drive clear up today as well as I currently use an old 10,000RPM Sata hard drive for my games, so going to go through all of that and delete anything I don't use. Only really playing a couple of FPS games at the moment but it makes me sad I can't play them at the highest specs!

Now this is where my ignorance is going to really show so bare with me, as i've been out the game for a while. But if I was to get a rather wonderful graphics card (i'm thinking mid-high end range) what is going to be the biggest bottle neck to the system? The CPU/RAM or Mobo. Just thinking if I upgrade the GPU I could hold off on the rest of the system for a little while.

Caporegime
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £979.97
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Do something like this.

Or spend even more on the screen for an IPS panel (better colours/blacks)

Check the card fits in the case without hitting any HDD cages.

Put an overclock back on the CPU and that should help the bottleneck there. And this CPU/board/RAM would be the bottleneck.

Even a GTX980ti would make an excellent gfx card to save money (it was top end before the 1080 came out) - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...s-graphics-card-06g-p4-4993-kr-gx-288-ea.html

Soldato
OP
Stulid - you are a gentleman I appreciate all the help here! Loads to look at now and gives me a great idea of what I need etc.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom