• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which is a better deal? 5820k vs 6800k

Associate
I was looking at the Intel Extreme CPUs for quite some time now, but when the time has come to decide which one I should buy, I can't.
What would you guys do? Buy 5820k or 6800k? Differences between them are very small only 22nm vs 16 nm; +100Mhz; +£80 basically.
I'm just curious if the newer CPU would be worthy of the extra price as those +100 Mhz could be easily reached by overcloking the older one. In some review I've also seen that it (6800k) doesn't really performane that much better in real-life situations.
Also, would it make any difference in a choice of a Motherboard as I'd like to go with the ASUS Strix Gaming, but it seems that both CPUs are running on the same 2011-v3, or is there actually any diffeeence?

Associate
Both chips use socket 2011-v3, there's no difference in the socket at all. In my opinion, I'd get the 5820K, as it will work with any X99 motherboard. Be aware that some of the older X99 boards may need a BIOS update to recognise the Broadwell-E CPUs. As far as I know, the Strix Gaming was released for Broadwell-E, so any CPU will work.

If you can OC the chip anyway, is the additional cost worth it?

Associate
Broadwell-E has had minor IPC improvements, it's about 2-4% faster clock for clock. Due to lack of refinement however, it clocks worse, uses more power and runs hotter.

J batch 5820k would be a much better choice imo.

Soldato
Broadwell-E has had minor IPC improvements, it's about 2-4% faster clock for clock. Due to lack of refinement however, it clocks worse, uses more power and runs hotter.

J batch 5820k would be a much better choice imo.

This unless they improve Broadwell-E with newer stepping's if you overclocking then Haswell-E is the better bet. Broadwell-E only if you have very deep pockets and really want/need ten cores!

Associate
I would take the whole 'J' batch thing with a pinch of salt , i own 2 j batch 5820k's, one will only hit 5.3 and thats with hefty voltage (1.278) the other needs 1.35v for 4.5, so while the J batch might increase your chance of a better clocking 5820k its still a lottery.

On the other hand my 6800k will only hit 4.3 and thats at 1.4v but it clearly out performs my 4.5 ghz 5820k by quite some margin and thats with the cache at 4.2 with the cache on the 6800k running stock.

I cant comment on power consumption but the 6800k runs a good 10 degrees cooler at max load compared to either of my 5820k's. (custom loops).

Price aside the 6800k makes the 5820k redundant but weather or not its worth the extra £s is up to you, personally given the choice and after spending time with both chips i would pick the 6800k , you get near on skylake performance and a cooler running chip.

Associate
Unless he's OCing them on LN2 that is...

I have a J batch 5820K, but for some reason I can't get it stable over 4.2GHz. I have a feeling it's a memory controller issue. I now have a J batch 5930K off the MM and that baby hits 4.2 at stock volts, plus it runs cooler.

If money isn't an issue, then Broadwell-E is probably the best bet, but the 5820K is very capable, particularly if you have a good cooling setup and a decent OC.

Associate
I have a L batch 5820K which can do 4.5Ghz @ 1.195v passed one hour asus real bench stress test. Now I just increase the voltage to 1.205v to make sure it doesn't crash for day to day task and gaming.

Caporegime
If buying now id personally go for the 5820k. The latest ones seem to be clocking very well. As the 16nm manufacturing process matures, we will likely see a similair pattern with broadwell E. But it might take a while. L443C361 chip here, bit of a lemon though tbh.

Associate
5.3Ghz...:eek:

Am guessing you really mean 4.3ghz

Yeah sorry lol

What people have to remember is that the lowest end x99 cpus are the failed bins of the higher ones, it really annoys me that people rant on about getting an easy 4.5 from any J batch 5820k , its simply not true.

The only truth is that the later in a cpu's production span the better the process so the chances are better of getting 5820k's that arnt just bined higher tier cpus.

Associate
If buying now id personally go for the 5820k. The latest ones seem to be clocking very well. As the 16nm manufacturing process matures, we will likely see a similair pattern with broadwell E. But it might take a while. L443C361 chip here, bit of a lemon though tbh.

Thats exactly the kind of info i was talking about, i have 2 of the latest 5820k batch and neither of them clock very well, what you mean to say is that you have a better chance of a good clocker in the latest batches, it only takes 1 duff core to make it a poor clocker and thats not taking into account a weak imc or rubbish cache.

This is why Intel's mainstream i7 k's have better overclocking average, its the highest tier product and your only contending with 4 physical cores.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom