• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3570k vcore vs GHz

Soldato
Wondering what I should do now.

I've been woking on getting my 3570k stable at 4.5Ghz... Long story short it has done stretches of around 30hrs of gaming then I will get a blue screen.

I am currently sitting on 1.33v in bios with LLC on extreme. Under Prime 95 it hits 90c. Gaming however it doesnt go beyound 70c.

When Prime 95 is running and load is at 100% vcore hits 1.356v high but I'm not too concerned as gaming temps dont go above 70c.

I've kind of been stubborn to lower the frequency to 4.4GHz as for the most part it is fine... :rolleyes: and my plan was to keep bumping the vcore 0.1 until it stabilises.

What do you reckon I should do. Keep increasing if I encounter more instability or just lower it to 4.4GHz as it will be easier to get stable?

Last edited:
Caporegime
if you can get 4.4ghz stable then i wouldnt worry too much about getting 4.5. you are not going to be breaking any records and what difference will you notice ? none.

4.4 is fine for anything anyway and its still a great processor.just enjoy it and do your thang.:D

Man of Honour
I've found with Ivy Bridge and closely related CPUs it isn't uncommon to hit a wall that just needs far to much voltage to get past for everyday running. While not often the problem make sure your vcore, VTT and IMC voltages are (while within safe limits) somewhere between 100 and 300mv of each other as in rare cases the delta between them can cause hard to narrow down problems.

Associate
Pretty high temps there. My 2500k at 1.38v was mid 70s load temp. What cooler you using mate? Maybe consider reseating so you can try higher volts

Associate
Is there a reason for the LLC levels? That'll be pushing way more than 1.33V through sometimes, especially when dropping back to idle from load. If you back that off you'd be able to increase the main voltage while still actually decreasing the max volts your chip is facing.

Even MSI when advertising their LLC tech say you probably don't want to max it.

Last edited:
Associate
I've found with Ivy Bridge and closely related CPUs it isn't uncommon to hit a wall that just needs far to much voltage to get past for everyday running. While not often the problem make sure your vcore, VTT and IMC voltages are (while within safe limits) somewhere between 100 and 300mv of each other as in rare cases the delta between them can cause hard to narrow down problems.

Found the exact same thing, my chip hits a solid wall at 4.4Ghz at around 1.32v, trying to get 4.5 takes 1.4v + and even on watercooling the temps go up past 80.

Soldato
Found the exact same thing, my chip hits a solid wall at 4.4Ghz at around 1.32v, trying to get 4.5 takes 1.4v + and even on watercooling the temps go up past 80.

Mine hit a wall at 4.8 took lot of volts to get 5ghz

I can run 4.7 @ 1.35v 24/7 still hits 90 under intel burn test though even with the big phanteks on it.

epu

epu

Associate
if you can get 4.4ghz stable then i wouldnt worry too much about getting 4.5. you are not going to be breaking any records and what difference will you notice ? none.

4.4 is fine for anything anyway and its still a great processor.just enjoy it and do your thang.:D

This.

Pretty bad luck on the cpu, my 3570k runs stable 4.8ghz at 1.32V :) but i settled at 4.6.

Soldato
OP
Is there a reason for the LLC levels? That'll be pushing way more than 1.33V through sometimes, especially when dropping back to idle from load. If you back that off you'd be able to increase the main voltage while still actually decreasing the max volts your chip is facing.

Even MSI when advertising their LLC tech say you probably don't want to max it.

Just to add some context to the conversation, I had previously tried overclocking the CPU where I left the LLC on default and just used the vcore. It was fine at 4.5Ghz for about 8 months untill I upgraded to Win 10 and it all went pear.

I then ran it for about a year at stock but then a few months ago I decided to try again as my 3570k at stock was holding back the 970.

This time round I thought I'd try again using LLC.

I've monitored it using cpu z and hwinfo so I know even tho extreme LLC is on it isn't doing anything ridiculous to the cpu.

I think I'll just have to back it down to 4.4GHz as 4.5Ghz seems to be requiring more and more voltage.

Last edited:
Associate
@OP, just go for 4.4GHz, bumping it to 4.5GHz wont make any noticeable difference.

Personally, I always overclock less than the CPU can handle as I really don't think its good to push a CPU to its max and run it for many hours on end with very high heat. Surely its more likely to burn out sooner if you push it to the limit on voltage and heat all the time.

Soldato
1.25v-1.3v is likely the max you can go on Ivy before temps become insane. I have a delidded custom water cooled 3770k @ 1.34v, that's as high as I can go before the temp hits the 70's during stress testing. IMO 70c for extended of periods of time while gaming isn't good. I would back off the voltage a bit and aim for 4.3-4.4GHz.

Soldato
I have a similar thing for mine. It'll do 4.5 on 1.2V but 4.8 is an absolute no go under any volts it seems.

Admittedly I never played around with it much but honestly 4.5 is great anyway so I am not going to complain!

Associate
As the others have said 4.4Ghz seems to be the "magic number" on my 3770k which requires 1.265v. For the system to even consider booting at 4.5Ghz I needed about 1.31v and it wasn't stable. I figured when you hit such sudden diminishing returns of clock to volts it's not worth going further.

Soldato
OP
Yea, I've lowered it to 4.4GHz and done a few Prime 95 runs and a 3 hour gaming session at 1.26v and it seems good.

May get a crash in the future who knows but hopefully 1.27v-1.28v will eradicate this completely.

Soldato
OP
Q. So the PC is stable, it's not blue screening at this overclock. However can instability manifest it's self in other ways.

For example Dragon Age inquisition seems to be crashing to desktop a lot. The PC it's self is stable no blue screen just the game quits occasionally.

I managed a three hour play session in Fri fine but today it's crashing to desktop a lot.

What about stutter? I swear the game is stuttering a bit.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently running mine at 1.325v / 4.6ghz, completely stable. However, for me to break the 4.7+ barrier, requires a ridiculous jump in voltage. 4.7 is around 1.4, 4.8 is around 1.45 and 5.0 isn't stable, even shoving 1.55v up its jacksy.

As said, I can get stable at 4.8, but I just don't see the point in it (I game at 3440x1440 so i'm nearly always GPU bound)

Back
Top Bottom