Running network, type of cable?

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just got the keys to our new house and it's time for me to run my network. I'm a electrician by trade, but have very little experience with networks (other than running what's in client spec.)

I'm planning running a plex server in the future and have picked a spot for everything to go back too.

The main route will include a trunking that will also contain some power cables.

I was thinking cat5e cable should do the trick? Is there any real benefit for cat6 in a home network?

Shielded cable or won't it matter too much?

Associate
Only real benefit atm would be to future proof when it comes at time to say, stream 4k content for example.

Recommend shielded to cut down on electromagnetic interference.

Good brand such as Excel.

Don't treat it like twin/earth when running it can't take the abuse.

Try not to run it alongside power cables.

Associate
There's no major advantage of CAT6 over CAT5e. The advantage is it's rated to 55 metres at 10 gigabit vs 45 metres for 5e. CAT6 is less flexible and is a lot easier to de-rate it to 5e specs by poor installation (e.g. crimping, folding, bending, trapping etc.).

Don't run ethernet cables alongside power cables. Don't bend them too much. If it's damaged in any way, then re-run the cable.

You shouldn't need shielded cable if you keep it away from power.

Try and get cable which uses pure copper rather than CCA.

Run at least two cables to each point (buy multiple boxes of cable).

Soldato
I'm doing this at the moment and I'm running cat6. cat5e would have been fine; but since it's such a hassle I went with cat6 for futureproofing (I do have a home network / centralised storage now so for me personally it's more likely that I will use the benefits of cat6 over cat5e.

just weigh it up for your likely usage scenarios.

keep in mind that cat5e is quite easy to work; it's light, flexible and if I recall correctly has a better rated bend radius. Cat6 is reasonably stiff and is more difficult to work with but not impossible.

cat6A is shielded if you want that - but that's even stuffer.

there's nothing wrong with running a mix of cables either if you're doing a lot of it. I have a reel of cat6 that I run for workstations and connected devices, and a reel of cat5E tha I'm running for CCTV since it's cheap and plentiful.

just make sure you keep track of what's what - I name my ports 601, 602, 603, etc for cat6 and 501, 502, 503 for cat5 and I can keep track of it that way when it's burried in walls and floors. get a dymo label printer if you really want to go to town!

Excel are a decent brand to stick with; get yourself a patch pannel and a load of butterfly keystone jacks (excel again) - you can make your terminations very quickly. you shouldn't be making male RJ45 terminations anywhere really; just female sockets.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, my longest run should be about 30-35m and that's just to the kitchen. Living room and bedroom are about 10-15m away from server point.

Plan was to run two cables to each point and will be using face plates.

So I'm thinking cat5e shielded made by excel is the way to go?

It's not a very large house.

I've not even looked a patch panels, switches or anything of that nature yet.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, my longest run should be about 30-35m and that's just to the kitchen. Living room and bedroom are about 10-15m away from server point.

Plan was to run two cables to each point and will be using face plates.

So I'm thinking cat5e shielded made by excel is the way to go?

Yup, sounds good :)

Back
Top Bottom