• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** TODAY ONLY: GTX 1070 DELIVERED FOR £359.99 Inc. VAT !! **

Caporegime
or exchange rate excuses!

It isn't an excuse. It is simple economics.

If we had 900 series release gbp/usd rates then we would have near £300 1070's and £500 1080's.

Instead we have a rate of 1.3 making everything about 20% more expensive.

Do you think the uk retailers are going to subsidise the rate difference for us or something, or that Nvidia will reduce the MSRP just to help the UK out :confused:

Associate

If we had 900 series release gbp/usd rates then we would have near £300 1070's and £500 1080's.

Do you think the uk retailers are going to subsidise the rate difference for us or something, or that Nvidia will reduce the MSRP just to help the UK out :confused:

The pound is at 30-40 year lows against the dollar. Things that are bought in dollars and into this country will cost more, that is just how it works.

nah, Nvidia ( or AMD for that matter ) couldn't care less about UK and our issues. They want to satisfy US market first and can't really blame them for that.

Caporegime
nah, Nvidia ( or AMD for that matter ) couldn't care less about UK and our issues. They want to satisfy US market first and can't really blame them for that.

I know. I was being flippant.

The amount of times i see people just laughing off the exchange rate difference as not the issue is seriously annoying. It IS the main reason this generation is more expensive than the last ones.

As has been pointed out many times on this forum, the 670 and 770 both had a higher base MSRP than the 1070 but our exchange rate with USD was loads better ( or at least around or above 1.5) then, making them cheaper (for us, comparatively).

Soldato

Sigh...............do you really think Nvidia suddenly pay for this GPU stock when you buy it in the UK :rolleyes: its been paid for months ago before exchange rate issues this is pure n simple price gouging.

Caporegime
Sigh...............do you really think Nvidia suddenly pay for this GPU stock when you buy it in the UK :rolleyes: its been paid for months ago before exchange rate issues this is pure n simple price gouging.

You might want to get Gibbo to explain how this works to you :D

or just do a search for his posts on the issue so you can get informed :)

Associate

agreed, Gibbo already explained this several times, we are quite well informed on the inner workings of OC UK, prices, when payments are made, heck we even have sales numbers :)

Soldato

Or you can realise that a £680 1080 would not be £500 if we stayed in, They would be £600 still as there is low stock every where.

Oil prices have gone down but the petrol stations still charge us £1.10 odd a litre, is that down to the exchange rate too?

Caporegime
Or you can realise that a £680 1080 would not be £500 if we stayed in, They would be £600 still as there is low stock every where.

Oil prices have gone down but the petrol stations still charge us £1.10 odd a litre, is that down to the exchange rate too?

The 1080's started at £525 on release when there was even less/no stock.

Now they start at £600

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-1080?sPage=1&sSort=3

Also, oil prices - yes because whilst oil prices have gone down, the exchange rate has gone down too, so we haven't benefited :confused:

As i said, ask Gibbo kindly to explain it to you if you are struggling to grasp the situation, or simply search for his posts on the matter :).

Here you go if you cant be bothered to look yourself-

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29836560&postcount=101

The cards would be 20% cheaper at 1.55 (the commonly forecast rate if we voted to remain)

Last edited:

AJK

AJK

Associate
mine should hopefully be arriving tomorow, it's replacing a 5770 which is just a makeshift in a new build i did last week so cannot wait to see some proper gaming beauty

Ba ha, me too! My current PC is an i5 750 with 5770, built October 2009.

Going to a 6600k, 1070 with SSD. I get the feeling this is going to be a proper upgrade...

Soldato
When you see deals like this, you have to wonder what the heck is going on in Asus' collective mind when they are selling a 1060 for $326? And no doubt that is a good price from OcUK. May as well get the the 1070.

Associate
Ba ha, me too! My current PC is an i5 750 with 5770, built October 2009.

Going to a 6600k, 1070 with SSD. I get the feeling this is going to be a proper upgrade...

3d mark score with the 5770 which turned out to be a 5670 so only 512mb of ram = 906 thats with an i5 6500 in their

3d mark with the 1070:12918
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13702822

that's all stock. no OC attempted.

bit of an increase alright :)

Caporegime
When you see deals like this, you have to wonder what the heck is going on in Asus' collective mind when they are selling a 1060 for $326? And no doubt that is a good price from OcUK. May as well get the the 1070.

Asus have just gone bananas. I think they think they are becoming the 'Apple' of pc components.

Caporegime

That is what Gibbo has said, and why wouldn't they?

There is no point sticking your head in the sand thinking the exchange rate doesnt matter and hasnt affected things quite a bit.

The GBP value to the USD is the lowest it has been in probably most of our lifetimes (apart from the real oldies :p) and unfortunately almost all of these cards are bought by UK retailers in USD.

Caporegime
I know Gibbo is good but even he can't predict future exchange rates.:D

He wasn't predicting anything, just stating what the prices would be if the GBP/USD rate was 1.55.

This was around where it was predicted to be by most analysts if we voted to remain (we got a glimpse of this as it shot to 1.51 briefly, the day before when everyone thought remain had won).

Before all this brexit stuff came in to view we have been at around 1.5-1.6 for the last 5+ years

Back
Top Bottom