Bass null in rectangular room - how to improve?

Associate
Hi all

I am suffering quite a bad bass null from my primary viewing position in my home cinema. It's bugging me but I do understand the concepts as to why it's happening. The room is almost square and the primary viewing spot is centred, along with the TV. Sub is mounted in one corner and is of a tapped horn design.

There really isn't anywhere I could move the sub (and it look reasonable). If moving the sub could make a signification improvement (of which I am unsure of), then I could consider a different box. Originally I was going to have a 2 metre long version of this box under the TV with it venting towards the right of the floorplan (kitchen door, not shown).

Any thoughts? :)

Here is a diagram of the room:

2NtFqBm.png

Red = Primary viewing spot - worst perceived bass performance
Green = Good bass loading
Yellow = Somewhere inbetween

Soldato
Standing waves, sitting on the back wall isnt going to help when the sub is located at the back. Sub at the front under the tv is a great idea, should have done that:p

No, seriously though, as your sitting on the back wall, trying moving the sub around up front somewhere and make use of the boundary reinforcement. My living room is the same as your, except my sub on the left of the tv. not much bass in the yellow position but red and green is sweet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you not have a knob on the back of the sub for adjusting phasing?

Edit: Wait, ignore me. That's not relevant for this situation.

Soldato
Unfortunately no room for the sub up front in its current enclosure. It's got a four metre long path length!

Well, you're going to have to. or move the sofas like basspunk sofas but by the looks of the scale of the plan, you havent got the room to. That just isn't the right place for the sub.

If in doubt, move that sub around. even if you've no intention of keeping it there, move it around and sit in that central spot and listen. You'll find the best place for it. Then it's up to you how you shoehorn a sub in there. I'm lucky in that sense - our rooms are laid out practically identically but my tv is mounted on a chimney breast and just to the left of the breast is enough space to fit the subwoofer behind the unit that sits under the tv.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom