• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Caporegime
Think I'll just wait another month for some more 4GB AIB 480s :p

Or two months. Or 6 months.

Sod it, the next time a 1070 goes on special offer, I'm buying that :p

Associate
I do think paying customers deserve more information on order. You can't seriously be telling me that multi million £ businesses don't know that there will only be such low supply. Also they knew there wouldn't be any today.

The post says "This is a totally awesome card in every aspect, we have 2000 incoming for delivery middle too end of July and we expect them to sell out!".

So obviously Gibbo was lied to, and they "expect them to sell out" so OCUK know well that 200 cards is pathetic as they predicted 2000 wouldn't even be enough!!

Associate
Hi there

Update from Sapphire on RX-480 is no shipments this weekend, next shipment is scheduled to leave Hong Kong next weekend, as to how big that shipment will be is unknown, I am just being told it will be big.
how big was the last big shipment? and is this valve talk? say big and is only 5? hehe :D

Associate
I am in the 8gb nitro line. Ordered ages ago it seems. I agree with you all that the lack of info is frustrating. I have made up my mind that if I don't here anything by next Friday I am going to stick another £150 in the pot and get something for £400. Any ideas whats the best card I could get for that. And will it be worth the change from the rx480.

Soldato
I am in the 8gb nitro line. Ordered ages ago it seems. I agree with you all that the lack of info is frustrating. I have made up my mind that if I don't here anything by next Friday I am going to stick another £150 in the pot and get something for £400. Any ideas whats the best card I could get for that. And will it be worth the change from the rx480.

GTX 1070, Fury Nitro, or Fury Nano. Up to you which suits your needs more.

Caporegime

Since AMD have nothing (current) in that price bracket, you're looking at a 1070 or a 1070. Or if you want something a little different, you could go with the 1070.

Fury/Nano is in that price bracket, but it's hotter, more power hungry, less vram and less performance... Nope, AMD have nothing until Vega that you might consider over a 1070.

Associate
Feel really lucky to get mine when I did now. (I think I did manage to order the day the pre-order went live).

I think amd and Shappire has been taken a little bit off gard with how popular this GPs would be, it is a bit of shame that the custom boards were'nt given hirer priority and now I get the feel the ref boards will be hard to shift.

Not to rub it in, but I have to say it's worth the wait, surprise by the leap it's given me over my 7970 1ghz, VR for the masses is what this was highly advertised as, and I can confirm that, I got an oculus and elite, adrift, and project cars really struggled to run and I felt a bit sick in adrift jittyness, it was certainly not reaching 90frames before, now its feels smooth as butter and totally different. GTA 5 another fav of mine is running amazingly smooth know matter what in 1080p now! And my PCs power usage has halved! So will be saving more money :)

So thanks to amd, Shappire and ocuk for a great board, hopefully some lessons can be leart from this pre-order I think best option for Ocuk would not even give out a date for pre-orders, that way people would'nt be able to moan quite as much as least. Still best of luck with the rest of the orders Ocuk, back to my gaming!

Associate
If I knew I was to wait that long not sure I would have preordered. they said they get 2000. but they get batch delivery of only 50 card every week? I cancelled another order to get this one and I start to regret it. i was 43rd in the list and my order didn't get ship today... I guess I will have to look for another option.

Associate
I got desperate enough to start WoW on the on-board graphics (Intel 530). It was more an experiment, I didn't think it would even run.

To my amazement at 2560x1080 on graphics setting level 4 (it auto-selected this) it's running at 75+ fps - I barely managed 60 fps on the old "10" setting using dual 6970's in crossfire at a slightly lower resolution (1920x1080).

I'm sure I could find settings to tweak upwards that wouldn't affect the FPS too much too, but to be honest it looks great. I've always been impressed with how WoW caters graphically for low end & high end hardware. I just hadn't tried it out for a while, and I can see nothings changed :) 75 FPS on what would have been the old level "6" graphics setting is very smooth, and very good looking.

It will be very interesting to see how close I can get to 10 using the RX 480 when it comes (cough, eventually).

Associate
So its looking likely its going to be another 2 weeks? or there abouts? :confused:

Not happy about OCUK having my money that long. And no update via email...oh well "customer is king"

Associate
Hi, I'm wondering: Gibbo says the shipment will leave Hong Kong on August 12. But will it be leaving by ship or by cargo plane? That would make a big difference. Also, when is it supposed to get here?

Associate

A lot of folks say 1070... funny thing is that there are few options for the 1070 under £400. However... if you go for the much better priced 980ti, then you can get some of the best custom 980tis for that £400.

Speak with your wallet, if you don't like the nonsense that has occurred with this new generation of GPUs... don't buy one. Buy a previous gen GPU and feel smug that you saved a lot over it's original RRP. The 8GB Nitro seemed like one of the better price to performance cards this gen, a shame about the stock.

Think I'll just wait another month for some more 4GB AIB 480s :p

Or two months. Or 6 months.

Sod it, the next time a 1070 goes on special offer, I'm buying that :p

I hope that was a joke... I know you feel the same that this generation has been terrible in terms of pricing. Giving up your beliefs and buying a 1070 at 980 prices... well that's up to you. As I said above, speak with our wallets. Even though tons of people have already bought those cards and made them a success. A £500 1170 is on them.

One big question I must ask about the custom 480s, what are the coolers actually like? I.e. what are the temps and noise levels? Which custom cooler is the best for temps and which is the best for noise? I still have a couple of months to wait for a 4GB custom 480. Despite the terrible prices... (might as well buy an 8GB one at this rate).

Caporegime
I hope that was a joke... I know you feel the same that this generation has been terrible in terms of pricing. Giving up your beliefs and buying a 1070 at 980 prices... well that's up to you. As I said above, speak with our wallets. Even though tons of people have already bought those cards and made them a success. A £500 1170 is on them.

Sadly the £250 1060 and the £250 480 make the 1070 look like a good value for money card.

But nah, I will stay strong :p Currently you'll find me in the MM looking for 2nd hand 290s, 780s, etc.

Sold my 280x a couple months ago, and I don't want to downgrade, so there's a very limited amount of cards I can look at.

Associate
I wasn't in any hurry to begin with but once you go ahead and order something you get kinda twtichy ;). So I'm afraid I couldn't resist and I did go 1070 instead. I agree with FoxEye above, when the 480 is £250, a 1070 is perfectly good value at £400 or less, I'm not so sure about some of the crazier models. I was always slightly torn with my 480 preorder anyway, I really think AMD should have aimed a little higher when it designed the chip, a slightly higher core count would have made Nvidia's job that little bit harder.
I find the complete lack of any stock of custom designs from any manufacturer really quite worrying at this point. There is a huge range of 1060 and 1070 cards ranging from behemoths to ITX compatible solutions. Mid-range cards don't really have any business being 30CM+ long.

Soldato
Some folks think I'm mad for ordering a Fury X over the 1070, but I have a FreeSync monitor, and in the games I usually play the FuryX is either ahead or on par; with the main exception being the Witcher 3. Plus I got it for £356 new.

Should last well enough.

Back
Top Bottom