2016 FA Community Shield … Leicester City v Manchester Utd … Sunday 7th August *** spoilers ***

Man of Honour
Mata took a knock, Mourinho wanted to waste time and also bring off the smallest player due to Leicester having a few inevitable late corners etc.

Not sure there's much in it.

Soldato
Mata took a knock, Mourinho wanted to waste time and also bring off the smallest player due to Leicester having a few inevitable late corners etc.

Not sure there's much in it.

Mata certainly looked angry when he came off, just going off the highlights - but Murphy is also trying to make headlines (which isnt hard in this particular case)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Even if he was going to sell Mata he wouldn't do that to him. There is just absolutely no point to it and would just make him look like a **** which I assume he would want to avoid so early in his time as our manager. He spoke to Mata as he came off and it looked like they made a concerted effort to explain why he was taken off.

We would be silly to sell Mata with the current options we have for the no10 position as well. Rooney is just complete gash and I hope Mourinho has the balls to drop him. Mata was at his best under Mourinho at Chelsea as well.

Soldato
Even if he was going to sell Mata he wouldn't do that to him. There is just absolutely no point to it and would just make him look like a **** which I assume he would want to avoid so early in his time as our manager. He spoke to Mata as he came off and it looked like they made a concerted effort to explain why he was taken off.

We would be silly to sell Mata with the current options we have for the no10 position as well. Rooney is just complete gash and I hope Mourinho has the balls to drop him. Mata was at his best under Mourinho at Chelsea as well.

Miki and Pogba not good enough for you as the options for No 10 (not to mention Ibra as No 10 and Rashford ahead of him)

Personally dont see why keeping Mata makes any difference at all

We are light on strikers however, if Ibra is at No 10 then we really only have Rashford to go ahead of him.

Have a little wiggle room with the likes of Lingard, and Herrera to come in depending on who moves where ahead of the formation

Associate

I agree. A case of just making headlines when there isn't anything there. It was not good for Mata but Mourinho was not being malicious - he just wanted to make sure he won.

Caporegime
I don't think Pogba is being signed as a 10, and I still think Miki is going to play mostly on the right (unless you think Lingard should be first choice?) It's clear Mata should be starting where Rooney is.

Soldato
I don't think Pogba is being signed as a 10, and I still think Miki is going to play mostly on the right (unless you think Lingard should be first choice?) It's clear Mata should be starting where Rooney is.

Maybe not this season, but in the short term I would be surprised if Pogba isnt there within the next year or two.

As nearly everyone has said, the team loses a lot of productivity the further back he is used. Nearly all the commentators during the Euro's said he was a really decent 6 or CM/Box to box player, but his qualities really shine as a No10.

Given yesterday, I honestly dont know whats going through JM's mind but I would expect Miki to play wide right also, but I think the stats from Germany show he is equally good in No 10 and personally think him there and Lingard wide right is a much better more balanced side than introducing Mata at No 10 (who really has done ******* at No 10 when deployed there for Utd)

Don
He's a cm not a number 10. The only time he'd ever play there would be, like with Fabregas at Chelsea, JM was setting up with 2 dm's.

Soldato
He's a cm not a number 10. The only time he'd ever play there would be, like with Fabregas at Chelsea, JM was setting up with 2 dm's.

Also fair to say that currently Utd do not have a Willian / Hazard either

This season Pogba is most likely to be a CM (as Ive said numerous times before) but in the future it would be barking mad for Utd to pay that much for a player and not use him where he is best , and build the team around him.

Its impossible to do for this season given how long the deal itself has taken, as well as the shortened summer because of the euros not to mention it also gives JM another headache in what to do with Rooney, but once thats dealt with it would make a lot of sense.

Are Utd / JM going to totally ignore what he has done in advanced positions for Juve after spending that fortune? I highly doubt it

fez

fez

Caporegime
As nearly everyone has said, the team loses a lot of productivity the further back he is used. Nearly all the commentators during the Euro's said he was a really decent 6 or CM/Box to box player, but his qualities really shine as a No10.

He was played really deep in the final. I think he was actually the DM. This is for a manager who consistently brought on Gignac instead of Martial when they needed a goal.

Given yesterday, I honestly dont know whats going through JM's mind but I would expect Miki to play wide right also, but I think the stats from Germany show he is equally good in No 10 and personally think him there and Lingard wide right is a much better more balanced side than introducing Mata at No 10 (who really has done ******* at No 10 when deployed there for Utd)

Mata, like most of our team was completely shackled and rubbish under LvG. He had some great games there but I don't think we can take anything from the past 2 years under that oppressive football that was trying to break down an opposition with 10 men behind the ball 90% of the time.

Soldato
He was played really deep in the final. I think he was actually the DM. This is for a manager who consistently brought on Gignac instead of Martial when they needed a goal.

In the final that they lost......not really something we should focus on

He is a good DM, but Im not sure how you are proving anythig other than what Ive said all along, this isnt his best position.

(Im not suggesting France would have won if he was at No10 but it didnt help that he was so deep)

Mata, like most of our team was completely shackled and rubbish under LvG. He had some great games there but I don't think we can take anything from the past 2 years under that oppressive football that was trying to break down an opposition with 10 men behind the ball 90% of the time.

Fair enough, and I partially agree with you

I still think we can deploy better choices without Mata than with him and make for a more balanced side

Soldato
In this thread, only defensive midfielders and Number 10s exist apparently.

Neither of those positions are his best, BaZ is right.

Soldato

So you would make him an out and out striker? Or on the wing perhaps?

nah - lets just make him a Centre half :eek:

Lets go the whole hog and kick out De Gea from goal

Soldato
So you would make him an out and out striker? Or on the wing perhaps?

nah - lets just make him a Centre half :eek:

Lets go the whole hog and kick out De Gea from goal

You ok :confused:?

fez

fez

Caporegime
In the final that they lost......not really something we should focus on

He is a good DM, but Im not sure how you are proving anythig other than what Ive said all along, this isnt his best position.

(Im not suggesting France would have won if he was at No10 but it didnt help that he was so deep)

Oh that was my point, he isn't a DM and is better a bit further up the pitch. Frances tactics for quite a lot of the Euros were dire. The manager cost them the competition plain and simple. That being said AM isn't his best position either. Either way, we will be able to see how he is used soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom