Summer Transfer Window 2016/17 - Rumours & Signings

Soldato
Well ~£50m gets you:

Sterling
Luiz
De Bruyne
Hulk

Pogba is already considered one of the best midfielders in the world and is very young and has bags of potential. Given the market right now and the amounts we could spend, the amount we are paying is about right.

I think we will see some big transfers from the likes of Chelsea and City before the end of the summer that will make you realise that prices are just that high now.

That fee is about right ?

Oh dear.

Don
It is, just that some places are still getting their numbers from the reported figures earlier in the window plus mixing up euros and pounds.

The fee, reportedly, doesn't include his agents fee which, reportedly again, is in the 10s of millions.

Soldato
It's a bargain. That money will be earned back with all the marketing and sponsorship deals he will get now at United.

People dont realise that football has moved on and is now in a huge marketing business as well.

He has not even come close to his peak he is still 23 years old. Great investment from United and i'll be sad to see him leave us this season.

Caporegime
Pogba is an excellent player, he has been outstanding at Juventus. He had moments at the European Championships, but was often playing a different role (which was a mistake, imho).

Soldato
Pogba is an excellent player, he has been outstanding at Juventus. He had moments at the European Championships, but was often playing a different role (which was a mistake, imho).

No no. Sissoko, an anonymous, one in 50 game player, so poor that his fans clapped with glee at the thought of Real Madrid paying any money at all for him — is better.

Soldato
It's a bargain. That money will be earned back with all the marketing and sponsorship deals he will get now at United.

People dont realise that football has moved on and is now in a huge marketing business as well.

I think you don't realize how marketing works :p especially when it comes to football.
Go ahead and explain how they are going to make back the 90m plus his wages just on marketing.
You can go ahead and rule out shirt sales as Adidas recoup 90-95% of those sales and the deal was already in place. (besides the ones at Old Trafford which will be minimal on the grand scheme of things)

Soldato
I think you don't realize how marketing works :p especially when it comes to football.
Go ahead and explain how they are going to make back the 90m plus his wages just on marketing.
You can go ahead and rule out shirt sales as Adidas recoup 90-95% of those sales and the deal was already in place. (besides the ones at Old Trafford which will be minimal on the grand scheme of things)

You ever hear of a thing called image rights? He is going to get big sponsorship deals with his new move to Man United and will be the face of many products.

He will easily pay back 50% of the transfer fee if he will see out his contract.

Soldato
Depends what percentage of his image rights they'll get, and how much they'll pay him for the privilege of exploiting them... then how much more companies and people will give Manyoo than they would have anyway (eg. a kid who gets a Pogba mug for Christmas might've just got a Zlatan mug if Pogba wasn't there, or a Martial one if neither was there, or a Rashford one if the previous three weren't there, etc).

It won't just be United products he will have his name on. He has a sponsorship deal with Adidas and i'm sure he will get many more in the coming years.

He is one of the most marketable players in world football now that he's the most expensive player and playing for probably the most marketable club.

Don
This fee, reportedly, is potentially a sell-on clause also — rather than one for brokering the deal.

Really? Where's this come from? I've only read that as part of his move to Juve, his agent brokered a deal where by he'd get x% of any future transfer fee and it's subsequently been reported that Juve have told Utd they must pay it.

He has not even come close to his peak he is still 23 years old. Great investment from United and i'll be sad to see him leave us this season.

As I've said previously, this is utter nonsense. In a year or so's time we'll take a look at Utd's accounts and see whether their commercial revenue has grown over and above the rate it's grown in previous years. And then I'll tell you I told you so.

Soldato
Why do people always talk about t-shirts and mugs when mentioning football and marketing in the same breath?

This isn't the 80's and 90's any more!

There is huge money made in marketing the Manchester United brand around the world. Commercial revenue currently sits at what £500-600 million? Their brand image is based on them being one of the most successful football clubs in the world (both on and off the pitch). If they stop competing at the very highest level then the brand value will begin to drop.

The truth is that for a club like Man U, paying £100 million is really not that much in terms of the money which can be made globally over the next few years, if the club remains successful on the pitch, compared to being just another average side. So from that point of view, if Pogba (and others) are able to bring success on the pitch and win major trophies - then the money will be earned back relatively easily.

Don't get me wrong, it's insane that such a vast sum can be attributed to the acquisition of one individual. But that's the world of football these days, success and profile brings an extraordinary level of financial reward.

Soldato
Really? Where's this come from? I've only read that as part of his move to Juve, his agent brokered a deal where by he'd get x% of any future transfer fee and it's subsequently been reported that Juve have told Utd they must pay it.

Apologies — reading back my quote I can see how it was unclear, that's what I was referring to. (I actually removed a load words in a rush and didn't read it back properly.)

Rather than it being he's getting the ~£20m fee for just being part of the deal.

I didn't say he's better. I was illustrating that Pogba can blow hot and cold. Clearly he's worth a lot. I said you could probably argue anywhere from £40m to £80m... but defending £100m is very difficult. It's hard to argue he's worth that, and it's not just something like that to price Real out of the market/or a 'Manyoo have loads of money/Woodward is a ****' tax. Don't cry.

What was Hazard's transfer price?

Last edited:
Soldato

As I've said previously, this is utter nonsense.

5 million if he's sold for more than 50 million and 5 million if he signs a new contract at United.

Those are the bonuses I seen so potentially taking the deal to 115 million Euro.

Soldato
Of course I have. He already has big sponsorship deals with adidas etc and is moving to the worlds biggest club who already have some of the biggest deals set up.
And now it's moved to 50% of the fee?

Not to pick on you or anything, but I've seen quite a few people mention that, when it's actually not the case at all. Will it help recoup some of the money, yes definitely (which is inked into his contract as a percentage anyway). But those deals were going to be on the table regardless., Man Utd is still one of the biggest clubs globally.

Don
5 million if he's sold for more than 50 million and 5 million if he signs a new contract at United.

Those are the bonuses I seen so potentially taking the deal to 115 million Euro.

Those are potential payments to Juve, not his agent if I'm not mistaken.

From what I understand it's €105m + those bonus's and Utd have to pay his agent's cut on top of that which is being reported at anything between €20m and £30m.
Apologies — reading back my quote I can see how it was unclear, that's what I was referring to.

Rather than it being he's getting the ~£20m fee for just being part of the deal.

Ok well my initial post was in relation to how much Pogba's costing Utd. You can't just look at the fee they're paying Juve when they're having to pay £20m or there abouts to his agent too.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It also gets you other players - you're intentionally avoiding mentioning good players who go for that ballpark figure, unsurprisingly.

What players have been bought for that ballpark figure lately who are top class? I rate De Bruyne very highly as well. That was just players that were in the rough area of your valuation. I was ignoring the very recent price of Higuain as well.

Yet was outperformed by Sissoko/was anonymous in the biggest match of his life. One of the best? How big is this class which you label 'the best midfielders in the World'? Are the others going for £100m?

And yet no one is paying huge sums for him? Astounding. Its almost as if he played out of his skin for one game and is normally bang average. Sissoko outperformed Greizmann in the final as well and he was actually playing in his preferred position so what does that tell us?

Back
Top Bottom