The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

fez

fez

Caporegime
Moyes was a (big) mistake, but I still feel it was the right thing to do at the time. IE United HAD to TRY to bring through another homegrown manager. As you said, Fergie hid a lot of deficiencies in the squad he left, he was just biding his time until he walked away (from being manager).

His bigest crime imo was leaving the squad in such a mess. We had a highly experienced 1st XI that really were well past their best in most cases.

I didn't think Moyes was the right thing at all when he took over. He didn't play good football. Never looked comfortable and had nothing to suggest he could succeed at the top level. The fact we gave him such a long contract is a sign that we assumed that it would be a simple transition as well which was madness.

Fergie did leave the squad in a mess as well. It wasn't a horrendous squad, it was just very old, had won enough to not be hungry anymore and Moyes was not likely to be able to motivate them. He also seemed scared or unable to splash the cash on the right players and his fear manifested itself in giving a waning Rooney the contract of a lifetime when he should have been sold.

I don't know about other United fans but I had been frustrated by Fergie for years before he left because he didn't seem to care so much about the type of football we played or that fact that other teams were improving at a much faster rate than us. I can only assume that the glazers were not sanctioning huge spending at the time as they prepared for his departure and the inevitable turmoil it might create. He squeezed every last drop out of his squads but he could have done so much more in Europe if he spent more money.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So how optimistic are we all feeling for the coming season?

We have signed what appears to be 4 top players for the first XI and bar perhaps RB we haven't really got any glaring issues in the squad.

I think it will take a little time to get everyone up to speed and we can still see the hangover from LvGs negative football but we have a lot of creative players in Martial, Pogba, Mhikitaryan, Rashford and Ibra.

Bailly looks really good in all areas apart from his rashness but that can be trained out of him. Its not rash tackles he is making, its just stupid pushes etc.

I don't think we will win the league this season without getting a really good start and I think that is unlikely. Top 4 shouldn't be too hard with the talent we have. The biggest indicator of how we will do will be Rooney in my opinion.

With him I think we will struggle and he will bring down the whole team a few notches. Without him I think we will be free to play much better and fluid football.

Man of Honour
OP
Very optimistic. I think depending on availability, we may end up signing another player or two, as well as letting a couple go.

Darmian and Valencia aren't the worst right back options in the world (nor the best).

Jose won't be afraid to drop Rooney if he's messing up the team, he'll put winning ahead of anything else.

I'm not sure we'll win the league, but it will be very interesting.

Soldato
Jordan Ayew for £20.5m says more about the ridiculous money in football than the Pogba transfer. Signing PP is significant for a few reasons.
1. It shows real ambition from United to compete at domestic and European level. they haven't looked to do this for a number of seasons. They have panic bought players that were past it or clearly a level below that of team that purports to challenge for the top honours.
2. The guy is 23 years old and clearly has the potential to be a very significant fulcrum for a side in the future. In truth United have struggled in CM since Keane ran out of legs and was exited. Think about the CM combinations we have seen since then. Fletcher, O'Shea, Jones, Giggs, Djemba-Djemba, Cleverly, Hargreaves, Park, Gibson, Anderson, Carrick, Jones, Hererra, Fellaini (even Alan Smith was tried).
Its hardly inspiring - no-one can argue that Pogba has not shown World Class potential.
3. Pogba is a big physical, athlete that can complete with anyone. I can see him being as important as Viera, Yaya. Its Mourinho's way to buy players like this that can physically dominate the middle of the pitch - its also increasingly the modern way.

Paring him up with someone will be interesting. I just hope he clears out plenty aswell. Schwienstiger, Carrick and Fellaini have nothing to offer in the quest for CL spots. I'd graciously thank them and move them on. At least now with Mourinho he looks to have a vision/plan for the short and mid term. As he refers to his "spine"
De Gea, Smalling, Bally, Pogba, Zlatan - not bad. when you think we also have the chance to bring on Martial, Rashford, Lingard. It won't be pretty at times but one thing that will change is our ability to rescue matches by stepping up the pace of play and physical completion.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Very optimistic. I think depending on availability, we may end up signing another player or two, as well as letting a couple go.

Beyond this right back we seem to keep getting linked to I think we are done on the buying side of things. We will probably sell 3-4 players though.

Darmian and Valencia aren't the worst right back options in the world (nor the best).

They are both passable and perhaps Darmian will still come good. He looked good to start with but dropped off quite a lot. I place little weight on any players form under LvG as he would drop Darmian for long periods without warning and never let him gain any form.

Jose won't be afraid to drop Rooney if he's messing up the team, he'll put winning ahead of anything else.

This is my biggest fear. I don't think he will. I simply can't believe that Rooney was playing last season because of his form. There is a reason Rooney is the first name on the teamsheet every season despite his **** form and its not the manager.

I think LvG made him captain to try and make the best of a bad situation. Gives him an excuse for why he always plays and I don't doubt that Rooney is a decent captain. It would be hard to explain why he wasn't captain yet still got a pass to be as **** as he wants.

I think we are going to see a lot of him this season and I think that if we are not careful we will lose players because of it. Either because they are not getting game time because of him or because he is limiting the improvement in the squad.

I would keep Carrick because in certain games he is still immense. Schweinsteiger is an odd one and I imagine there is more to that story than we realise. Fellaini should be sold or at least relegated to an impact sub.

Associate
I'm optimistic. Pogba is a fantastic signing and adds some thrust and goals to the centre of the pitch. Massively lacking since the days of Keane and Scholes in their pomp.

A new RB would be good but I'd like to see Darmian and Fosu-Mensah chance to make the position their own. We also have Jones, who when fit (big if), can play well there. I don't rate Valencia. Hes not the most solid defensively and has lost all ability to beat a man or put in a decent cross.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Similar to the lineup in that link but hopefully without Rooney and with Mata where he was and perhaps Schneiderlin instead of Carrick. Hard to say at this point. Whatever the formation, with Rooney interfering just before the attack we are pretty shackled.

Caporegime
It is going to be interesting to see how Manchester United line up with Pogba, as he (in my opinion) does not suit a 4-2-3-1 particularly well (He has the ability to adapt) but his best performances for club and country have always come in a 4-3-3 where he is allowed to push forward.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd play Pogba next to Schneiderlin, then add in Herrera/Carrick if we need more in midfield. We have plenty of options for the front four.

Caporegime
de Gea

Darmian - Bailly - Smalling - Shaw

Herrera - Schneiderlin - Pogba

Mkhitaryan - Ibra - Martial

Could easily become 4-2-3-1 if you push Herrera or Pogba forward in to a central midfield attacking role.

Man of Honour
OP
That looks a very decent 11. Especially as there are big question marks over the effectiveness of both Rooney and Mata.

Caporegime
Darmian is the best right back at the club, Valencia is not good enough defensively.

Schneiderlin is a good holding midfielder, he played that role well for Southampton and if he can do that role for United it gives the midfield a platform. Pogba and Herrera like to push forward and movement/passing/creativity in midfield has lacked for Manchester United.

Ibra needs runners near him basically, as long as Pogba and Herrera support the attack (undoubtedly they will do) and Martial continues his form/development that is an excellent attack. Not to mention Mkhi, who is a wonderful creator of chances / assists machine.

Mata, I like him, I liked him at Chelsea, but he does not do enough defensively for Mourinho, and I understand why he is often overlooked. Rooney is in decline and is poor. Neither deserve a starting place.

Caporegime
There is a pretty good 'second' line up too.

Romero

Valencia - Jones - Rojo - Borthwick-Jackson/Blind

Blind/Schw - Fosu-Mensah

Lingard - Mata - Depay

Rooney/Rashford

Soldato
Unfortunately we won't play either of those, because Rooney is going to play 100%.

I'd be happy for that not to be the case but I think any line up that doesn't have him in, at least for now, is wild fantasy and false hope.

Associate
I keep hoping a Chinese side come in with a mega bid for Rooney and he can be offloaded without causing too big an upset.

Undoubtedly he'll have a better season surrounded by better players, but for me he is on the decline and limits the team.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Isn't the chinese transfer window closed so Rooney isn't going anywhere. Thats ignoring the fact that the only place Rooney would go is America and that would mean a pay cut.

Hes here for a few more years. I just hope and pray that Mourinho does a Casillas on him and drops him like a stone. Casillas seems undroppable due to lack of competition and he was a fan favourite. Rooney seems undroppable for some inexplicable reason.

Back
Top Bottom