Shoulder Surgery Driving

Soldato
I had an OP 6 weeks ago for shoulder instability. I was told by the surgeon I can return to driving 6 weeks after the op.

Do I need to get anything to prove I can drive or just go for it?

Man of Honour
I'd try and get a check up just to make sure everything is healing as expected but apart from that you should just be good to go.

Soldato
I've had a few elbow surgeries and have driven afterwards.

You don't need anything as such. However if you drive the day after surgery, have a crash and the insurance company finds out then it may cause problems.

I drove 2 weeks afterwards. I would say 6 weeks is more than enough time as long as your movement isn't restricted/too painful etc.

Soldato
I would imagine if you contact your Dr they will say something along the lines of "If you feel up to you you should be fine" as if they say categorically yes and you have an accident they could find themselves responsible.

I waited a month after a knee operation and felt that was too long (I had erred on the side of caution), would think a couple of weeks you should be fine if you feel ok with regards to movement in your shoulder.

Only you can really judge if you feel ok to drive though and if you feel it's too soon or you haven't got the required movement then I would say you need to say no.

Soldato
Well technically you can get fined if it was found that your injury results in dangerous driving and be prosecuted if it results in an accident, if you did not inform the dvla.

Though the doc said 6 weeks, you are meant to get the all clear as that was a predicted estimate of your recovery and not confirmation that you are okay to drive. Obviously no one actually does ring up the dvla and to tell them you got a bad elbow or leg or whatever but that is what you are supposed to do.

TBH, if you are unsure if you should drive, then you probably shouldn't. If you go to the doctor, he will just ask you if you feel okay. In the end, its your decision either way.

How to tell DVLA
Check if you need to tell DVLA about your condition to find the forms or questionnaires you need. The address you need is on the forms.

There are different forms for different conditions and disabilities.

Contact DVLA if you’re not sure what to do.

You could be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a condition that might affect your ability to drive safely. You could also be prosecuted if you have an accident.

Associate
I had an OP 6 weeks ago for shoulder instability. I was told by the surgeon I can return to driving 6 weeks after the op.

Do I need to get anything to prove I can drive or just go for it?

I had immobilizing shoulder surgery a few years ago, i was off work for 6 weeks and told i could not drive. When I felt i was better after 4 weeks, I got checked by the doctor and got a note saying I was okay too. I carried this with me for a few weeks after just to be safe.

Do you not have a follow up / check up post surgery?

Associate
I had a shoulder op earlier this year and was told 2-3 weeks by the surgeon, but if I did all the physio exercises, used the ice to reduce inflammation it could be earlier if I felt up to it.

I had a follow up physio appointment two weeks after the op and was given the all clear.

I was told they err on the side of caution, as some patients don't follow the recovery instructions. Whilst they aren't concerned that you might damage the shoulder, if you were in an emergency situation, you might not have the strength or feel sudden pain taking avoiding actions and might be considered partly to fault by insurance. Hence I waited until I got the all clear by the physio, even though I had felt fine to drive for at least a week.

Soldato
I think you only need to tell the DVLA if it's something long term, not for something only lasting a few weeks. Otherwise you'd have to tell them about things like having the flu, or a bad case of the trots as well :p

But obviously if you have been told by a doctor not to drive for X period and you do, you will be in big trouble if you get found out.

After all, you do have to be medically fit to drive and that will be part of your insurance policy as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom