BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
Are your maps not perhaps out of date?

Bmw maps are out of date anyways. My car is a 2012 and it still shows a petrol station near me that hasn't existed in over 15 years. I managed to blag the latest map update when I bought the car in 2014.
Near me as well there's a farm track that leads to a bridle path that the nav for some reason thinks is a road. No other sat nav has this issue!
That's on top of more recent roads that were in place before the nav was updated but still don't show on it.
Whatever data source bmw use seems to be the problem.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This is the reason why if I ever bought a new car, it would have to have Android Auto so I can run Waze, or at least have a dash design where a phone can be tucked into a corner or something without being distracting/ugly.

OEM addons for navigation are almost always rubbish compared to applications whose sole business model is to be experts at helping you navigate more efficiently.

Man of Honour
Bmw maps are out of date anyways. My car is a 2012 and it still shows a petrol station near me that hasn't existed in over 15 years. I managed to blag the latest map update when I bought the car in 2014.
Near me as well there's a farm track that leads to a bridle path that the nav for some reason thinks is a road. No other sat nav has this issue!
That's on top of more recent roads that were in place before the nav was updated but still don't show on it.
Whatever data source bmw use seems to be the problem.

Your current map is 5 versions out of date...

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29881716 said:
I stand by my views :p Looks good, feels good, plastic trim sucks :D

How are you getting on with yours?

It's great, no problems, except ones i've caused myself (which LLoyds have sorted FOC for me too, great service!). Took it to France last week and drove ~2000 miles with no problems, then when i returned to my car on the ferry, i had a warning about ignition was switched off to save battery, and one of my dipped bulbs went at the same time too, one of the expensive ones that BMW put in for me in November!

Fortunately, BMW had the sense to have a little port above the headlight to replace bulbs, unlike Audi, where i had to remove the air filter lol.

Other than that, it's still one of the best looking cars on the road and i love it. I'm in no rush to change yet lol. (HK would have been nice though, as would Apps for spotify integration.)

Soldato
This is the reason why if I ever bought a new car, it would have to have Android Auto so I can run Waze, or at least have a dash design where a phone can be tucked into a corner or something without being distracting/ugly.

OEM addons for navigation are almost always rubbish compared to applications whose sole business model is to be experts at helping you navigate more efficiently.

RTTI on the M5 is practially Waze. The two have never been in contention with current road issues. In fact, today, the BMW told me about a road closure on part of the A40 that Waze didn't even detect which I thought was a bit odd.

Soldato
Can someone point me in the direction of the latest BMW map data for the CIC-HIGH (NBT) iDrive? Assuming it's allowed.

I probably could direct you to the correct place, but it's something like a 30+ GB download (at least it was last time I did it), and it doesn't work without an FSC (I think) code. Which are near £200 from BMW, or can be found for around 50 Euro elsewhere.

However, you can buy the discs from BMW for around the £20 mark I think, rather than download the file. But you will still need the code.

nas

nas

Associate
[TW]Fox;29880744 said:
Fox new car post

oh so the M Sport bling is worth it then..? Thought SE's was fine as long as it had iDrive etc.. lol

Think with an enthusiast mindset, regardless of SE spec the M Sports are still the typically desired trim, they're aesthetically far nicer.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Has anyone here tried to "bulk claim" on the BMW Insured warranty? My boot roof storage tray has finally broken (they all do that, sir...) which is really annoying and will have to be fixed. I also have the very beginnings of the wastegate rattle issue and I'm pretty sure my injectors are on the way out as cold starts are getting lumpy to the stage where I'm not sure I want to ignore it going into the winter. My USB port in the armrest is also broken and I'm sure I can come up with more stuff as well.

Question is, will they fix these things that are below the usual claim limit (providing they would otherwise qualify) as part of a really big claim or will they treat each issue as an individual claim?

Caporegime
I probably could direct you to the correct place, but it's something like a 30+ GB download (at least it was last time I did it), and it doesn't work without an FSC (I think) code. Which are near £200 from BMW, or can be found for around 50 Euro elsewhere.

However, you can buy the discs from BMW for around the £20 mark I think, rather than download the file. But you will still need the code.

That's fine, I have a 64gb usb stick and I know I'll need a code. Not paying BMW for it....

Link?

Soldato
Has anyone here tried to "bulk claim" on the BMW Insured warranty? My boot roof storage tray has finally broken (they all do that, sir...) which is really annoying and will have to be fixed. I also have the very beginnings of the wastegate rattle issue and I'm pretty sure my injectors are on the way out as cold starts are getting lumpy to the stage where I'm not sure I want to ignore it going into the winter. My USB port in the armrest is also broken and I'm sure I can come up with more stuff as well.

Question is, will they fix these things that are below the usual claim limit (providing they would otherwise qualify) as part of a really big claim or will they treat each issue as an individual claim?

I've had a few things fixed under warranty during a single visit to the dealer. Paid a single excess.

Associate
Thinking of getting a 13 plate or newer M135i soon in 5 door, automatic. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on them and if there is anything I should look out for.

Is the Pro nav and HK system really worth hanging out for? I won't be using the car very much for commuting but I do want some nice features for when I do drive it on journeys etc.

Is it wise to get the BMW warranty on these things? What sort of common issues or expensive maintenance issues should I be looking out for when browsing? I've seen a few that look like they need new discs, some as low as 15k miles. Definitely don't want that kind of expenditure in the first year at least, my wife is already against it I'd be chucked out :p

Do they all come with DAB as standard and blue tooth connectivity for streaming music from a phone app like spotify or just a USB connection?

Soldato
Thinking of getting a 13 plate or newer M135i soon in 5 door, automatic. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on them and if there is anything I should look out for.

Is the Pro nav and HK system really worth hanging out for? I won't be using the car very much for commuting but I do want some nice features for when I do drive it on journeys etc.

Is it wise to get the BMW warranty on these things? What sort of common issues or expensive maintenance issues should I be looking out for when browsing? I've seen a few that look like they need new discs, some as low as 15k miles. Definitely don't want that kind of expenditure in the first year at least, my wife is already against it I'd be chucked out :p

Do they all come with DAB as standard and blue tooth connectivity for streaming music from a phone app like spotify or just a USB connection?

The N55 is pretty complex and I wouldn't be comfortable running one without a warranty. That said they are still a fairly new engine, though just in the process of being replaced by the new B48 engine and I'm not aware of any major issues with them.

As the for car itself I wouldn't consider one without pro nav. HK audio I've not experienced in a 1 series but it's pretty good in the 3 series, definitely an improvement over the BMW advanced option, but that in itself is a decent improvement over stock audio.

Mine is only 17 months old but I have done 37k miles in that time. Brake discs are still fine on it and I've only just had to replace the rear tyres (4K miles ago).

They can be very frugal if driven steadily (I've averaged over 34mpg from mine since new), and with the adaptive suspension are plenty comfortable for long journeys.

Be aware that the LCI introduced in April 2015 gave the car LED headlights and the slightly more powerful version of the engine (as used in the M235i), plus some significant cosmetic changes as well, which IMHO make the car much more attractive.

Associate
Thanks for the info, I think for the price of the warranty and how good it apparently is when making a claim, I'd more than likely get it.

What make the pro nav so much better, I thought it was just a bigger screen but I'm presuming there's more to it than that?

This BMW advance option audio, is that optional on the 135i's as well or is it either that or the HK system? Do you know about the USB/bluetooth thing...I love music and being able to stream from spotify through the car audio is an absolute must have. It's the one thing I hate most about my current Civic R.

I've seen a video saying the adaptive suspension in 'sport' mode is the same as an M135i without adaptive suspension, but of course in comfort it's a lot nicer ride. Is that true do you know... I'd probably add it to a nice to have list if true.

I've seen the LCI version, it's nice but they're out of my price range unfortunately; unless something dramatic happens with the M140i coming out (which I think has already happened tbh)

Back
Top Bottom