Summer Transfer Window 2016/17 - Rumours & Signings

Soldato
I think JM is trying to trim the squad by 3 or 4 before buying a centre half by all reports which kind of makes sense.

Problem is Rojo doesnt want to move

At least McNair going effectively gives the space to Pogba, and then hopefully when Schweinsteiger is waved off into the sunset JM will start lining up a defender (if there is enough time in the window)

How does McNair have any relationship with 'giving a space' to Pogba? He hasn't been involved for weeks and his been clear he isn't in the plans, and JM has said for some time he likes to have a squad of 23 and that he had 22, and Pogba would make it 23.

It's unlikely that even if Schweinsteiger leaves it means there's a space open for another CB. It's only likely if Rojo or another actual squad CB leaves.

Soldato
No he isnt injured, but he has a 1 match ban from the FA Cup final which is why he hasnt played in the last few matches, so he wont play vs Bournemouth in the opening weekend

I don't understand why the ban carries on from last year. It's new season, everything else starts from scratch. Fair enough if the ban was for something serious but for 2 yellow cards that just makes no sense.

RB: Darmian, Valencia, Fosu-Mensah, JOnes
LB: Shaw, Rojo, Blind, B-J
CB: Smalling, Bailly, Jones, Blind, Rojo

Could so with another good CB and offload Rojo

Fosu-Mensah and B-J can cover CB as well, and dare I say Carrick? :) But I agree someone slightly more experienced for cover would be nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
How does McNair have any relationship with 'giving a space' to Pogba? He hasn't been involved for weeks and his been clear he isn't in the plans, and JM has said for some time he likes to have a squad of 23 and that he had 22, and Pogba would make it 23.

It's unlikely that even if Schweinsteiger leaves it means there's a space open for another CB. It's only likely if Rojo or another actual squad CB leaves.

Because its a squad space , not a specific CB space. If a manager wanted to (just to be extreme) they could have 20 defenders in their squad, there is nothing stopping them from doing this in the EPL squad size rules

There are currently 28 (after McNair has left) listed on the BBC in the squad, including Rashford and Fosu Mensah , being U21's I dont think they count towards the size though but thats including 3 gk's.

JM also said he might be "forced" into having 23+2 gk when he would normally have 22+3.

Obviously ideally if you want a defender, the manager wants to get rid of one first (in an ideally balanced squad, but who's to say the numbers in each area are balanced?) - that makes complete sense but it doesnt HAVE to be.

Obviously thats going off last season's squad plus this summer's changes - but unless they are loaned or sold its highly unlikely Utd are going to just exclude someone on whats likely to be £100k/week or more , even though this is an option (ie keeping them on the books for contractual purposes etc, but not putting them in any squad).

Last edited:
Don
McNair is 21 so wouldn't have taken up a squad place. It's only over 21's that count and as I've said previously the majority of clubs don't use up their full allocation anyway - it's a pointless rule.

edit: For example, last season Utd only registered 21 players in their 25 man squad.
edit2: Just looked at Utd's squad on the BBC and they only have 24 players over the age of 21 so they can still add another player without selling anybody. Again though, McNair made no difference as he wouldn't have taken up a spot in the PL's 25 man squad list.
I don't understand why the ban carries on from last year. It's new season, everything else starts from scratch. Fair enough if the ban was for something serious but for 2 yellow cards that just makes no sense.

Of course bans should carry over or else there would be no deterrent stopping people from getting sent off at the end of last season.

Soldato
McNair is 21 so wouldn't have taken up a squad place. It's only over 21's that count and as I've said previously the majority of clubs don't use up their full allocation anyway - it's a pointless rule.

Fair enough - but I cant see anyone else in the current list thats U21 apart from Rashford and Fosu Mensah , so unless United are going to be paying for 26 players and not putting them in the squad then a few have to loaned or sold before a CB can be bought (unless we get an U21 player of course, but thats kind of pointless given Utd need an experienced leader at the back)

apoologies forgetting that Januzaj and Shaw are also only 21 so they dont count either

Fosu-Mensah and B-J can cover CB as well, and dare I say Carrick? :) But I agree someone slightly more experienced for cover would be nice.

JM wants an experienced leader at the back so the first two can be ignored and while Carrick can play there I wouldnt say he was a leader in that position (and cover for a few games vs hull or someone is one thing, a leader to turn to vs Chelsea or City is something else entirely).

Last edited:
Caporegime
CpghazLWgAAEe8_.jpg

Soldato
I'm very surprised Swansea allowed themselves to get shafted in the Williams deal.

£12 million for a defender as good as him is peanuts considering he's been the best defender in the league for the passed few years.

Even though he's 31 they should have held out for at least £15 million or more as Everton have got themselves a top class defender for the next 3-5 years depending on how long he can last.

£12 million is not a lot especially with the new tv deal, add to that Everton's new rich owner and the fact they just got nearly £50 million for stones it really is a bargain for Everton imo.

Caporegime
Mustafi contract agreed, transfer fee to be decided apparently.

Lewandowski to Arsenal?

Hahahahaha.

You've got more chance of me signing for Arsenal than you have Lewandowski.

:D.

Happy if we get Mustafi. But if Wenger can surprise us all with Lewandowski or Griezmann, that would be awesome :D

Hahahahahaaaaa.

Arsenal's squad needs an overhaul, however there is no chance either of those would sign for Arsenal, let alone the fee's would be enormous.

Back
Top Bottom