The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Soldato
I wouldn't quite say it's inexplicable.

He's been the face on Man United for many years, and statistically is one of our most successful players, in addition to being our captain. It's difficult to phase that out, especially when until now we didn't really have any replacement on any of those fronts.

I'd expect the club to start moving forward with Pogba in a prominent position and we can start phasing out Wayne.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I wouldn't quite say it's inexplicable.

He's been the face on Man United for many years, and statistically is one of our most successful players, in addition to being our captain. It's difficult to phase that out, especially when until now we didn't really have any replacement on any of those fronts.

I'd expect the club to start moving forward with Pogba in a prominent position and we can start phasing out Wayne.

He has been the face of United for years now but part of that is that we haven't had the success to promote the whole team on its merit. There are other players that could easily do that.

He is one of our most successful players but that success was in the past and he has been hindering any future success for a few years.

He is our captain mainly due to his seniority and the fact that he must play so it makes sense to make him captain as a bit of an excuse as to why he is still in the team.

I think this season will prove whether he is there due to marketing or by the managers choice. We now have Martial, Pogba and Zlatan who are all bigger players than him for various reasons and who are all deserving of their places in the team on merit.

Soldato

Varela's already out on loan for this season (Tuanzebe might be also )

Could be a very good team in a few seasons time though

(question marks over Memphis and Pereira though, would like to see the latter given more chances)

He has been the face of United for years now but part of that is that we haven't had the success to promote the whole team on its merit. There are other players that could easily do that.

He is one of our most successful players but that success was in the past and he has been hindering any future success for a few years.

He is our captain mainly due to his seniority and the fact that he must play so it makes sense to make him captain as a bit of an excuse as to why he is still in the team.
I think there is a bit of sentiment within the club about him breaking the scoring record aswell, as he is so close (4 to go?) , if he was forced out now it might appear a little harsh by the club in wider circles (especiallly after a few things the club have messed up recently, like how LvG was fired etc etc)

As it stands he is still the biggest marketable star in the squad - admittedly Pogba will surpase that soon, so it might also appear a little drastic to go straight from one to the other (rather than a slow phase )

Last edited:
Associate
The club owe Rooney nothing. He's tried to force a move himself in the past.

I probably wouldn't sell him yet, but equally I probably wouldn't start with him

Caporegime
As it stands he is still the biggest marketable star in the squad - admittedly Pogba will surpase that soon, so it might also appear a little drastic to go straight from one to the other (rather than a slow phase )

He's marketable because England and Utd keep playing him, nothing more or less. Beckham, Ronaldo, frankly any players that don't look like shrek and can actually speak even in a ridiculously girly voice, are significantly more marketable. Ronaldo, Beckham and others are real stars that clubs/companies exploit for marketing, Rooney is a player that companies and clubs have turned into a start via marketing, there isn't much inherent value in Rooney.

Dump Rooney and make any other player in the squad the 'star' and they'd be valuable very quickly. Honestly Rashford looks far more exciting for an English striker if they want to make another player in the team a star.

Soldato
Dump Rooney and make any other player in the squad the 'star' and they'd be valuable very quickly. Honestly Rashford looks far more exciting for an English striker if they want to make another player in the team a star.

depends on all the contracts really, which we can only guess at (not just with the players but with the big sponsors etc)

At the end of the day Rooney right now is a much more "recognisable" name than anyone else from a marketing perspective, and it takes time to build a new profile that big - it cant be done over night

Just like some media and on here are suggesting that JM might be under external pressure for a while to keep playing Rooney for off-field reasons.

Associate
A team cannot keep playing a player who is underperforming badly no matter who they are. Part of the reason there was a backlash from fans against LVG was the fact he kept sticking with Rooney when he was such a big liability.

Soldato
A team cannot keep playing a player who is underperforming badly no matter who they are. Part of the reason there was a backlash from fans against LVG was the fact he kept sticking with Rooney when he was such a big liability.

r8e49x.jpg

Permabanned
Pogba apparently on a 1 match ban for getting 2 yellows in the Coppa Italia last year. It doesn't matter much as he was unlikely to play this weekend anyway, it's just a bit weird.

Back
Top Bottom