• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

780 gtx won't post

Associate
I had a 500w Corsair PSU cx500m. Zotec GTX 780 and I5 cpu (1150). Sometimes the Graphics card would play up as the 500w corsair was not really powerful enough. I bought an ACE 700w psu off an internet auction site, seller suggested it was Antecs budget brand. £15 brand new delivered seemed a bargain.

Plugged it all in and it booted fine. Clicked on the Mechwarrior icon and BANG! smoke came back out of the psu and now even with the old Corsair 500w psu back in the 780 won't work.

Also without the 780 in and running with on board graphics the pc's fans spin but I don't get a picture on the monitor. I know the monitor is ok as I have hooked up my Xbox One to it and that's ok. Is a better PSU likely to make it work?

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks.

Soldato
This is a prime example of why you should never skimp on the PSU..

If you heard a bang, chances are it took out something in the machine with it.

Have you tried a different PCIe lane?

Try the GPU on another machine?

Check in hte BIOS that display is going from the iGPU as it could be turned off.

Soldato
Hate to say it but something more than likely died considering it went bang, why not check reviews before buying a PSU? I would kind of understand if the system was just a old 8800 GTX with say a Pentium in it but you actually have a nice machine, or did. I'd get a new and better PSU now and then test with the GTX 780 but I'd hazard a guess and say it is dead. Nice excuse for a GTX 1070 though :)

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Hopefully it'll be OK but thank you Jony27 and Doogles and LeMson, wow read some reviews of the ACE psu, it's rubbish.

b9apop.jpg

Seems like the ACE is anything but..

Associate
OP
I think the card might be a bit damaged. Works fine in normal mode but with Firestorm, apply the boost and games crash with 'Display driver has stopped working'...

Meh.

Back
Top Bottom