AOC G2460V - New owner, my thoughts.

Caporegime
I have had this AOC Screen for about a week now and i thought i would write down some of my thoughts on it.

The screen it replaced in an LG IPS226V which is 5 years old and has started to develop some slight yellowing down the left hand side of the image.

I'll start with look and feel.
I was not expecting a lot of quality from it because of it low price but was pleasantly surprised on handling it, it is heavy and feels pretty solid, it has black brushed alloy effect plastic casing and bessel, pressing it on the outer edge of the bessel the plastics don't move much, they do and push into the screen on the inside of the bessel, the red trim on the bottom of the bessel looks nice and is well fitted, the stand does wobble the heavy screen a bit if you shake the table but its really not bad, it would take some rigorous mouse action to get it moving and if you do mange it what damping it does have stops the wobble pretty quickly, it also depends a lot on how stable your table is.
The buttons are a little awkward under the bessel but again feel solid, they don't push in like many others do.

Image Quality.
I have to say when i fist turned it on i had my doubts about it, i should say that i had come from an IPS screen even if it was 5 years old the contrast and colour of the Image was gorgeous and i did have reservations and preconceptions of the image quality of TN screens , given that i came from a TN screen to the IPS screen and was blown away by the image quality.

First time looking at this screen to my eye it was very washed out and muddy, muddy it literally had a greenish brown hue that to me just looked awful, but read on.

I was not just going to give up on it because i actually liked the unit its self.
So i set about playing with the controls to see if i could better the contrast and get rid of its muddy tint, first deliberately without the old IPS screen running next to it, to see if i can get the colour to a level that i like in it own right, that didn't really work as well as i hoped, i had managed to improve it but not to a level i was happy with, on using tweaked setting there was always something that popped up which didn't look right during use. so i gave in and setup the IPS screen next to it, then it was obvious, the differences between the two screens was stark, but with the old screen parked next to it i would see what was changing in relation when making adjustments, i quickly realised that there is a lot of blue missing from the new screen, after pushing the blue up really quite far compared to red and green suddenly the colours normalised, what a relief, this screen has that "Anti Blue Light" safety thing, maybe that has something to do with it and i have just thwarted that by cranking the blue right up.... after some more fine tuning i actually managed to get the colours to look almost the same as the old screen, about 95%, which i'm happy with. the intensity of those colours is still not quite there but close enough and pretty good in its own right.

So to sum up out of the box this screen looks horrid, but with tweaking it can and does display a pretty nice picture with those gorgeous blues and yellows ecte...

The image settings i used...

user1.jpg

user2.jpg

Other Things.

The brightness, much to my surprise despite having the same rating as the Old IPS screen (250 cd/m2) the new one is much much brighter, the old one set at full brightness is dark compared to this one at 70%, as a result there is more detail in the dark areas.

Response Times

The old IPS screen had a response time of 4ms, that is apparently very good for an IPS screen of that era, IE one of the first.

This one is 1ms.

However there is a visual difference, i'm seeing a lot more micro stutter at low Frame Rates, thats not down to some problem, its actually because the pixel refresh rate, in reality is much much faster than it was on the old one, the old IPS screen had a motion blur effect on moving objects that obscured the micro stutter, the AOC screen stays pin sharp during motion so you see the stutter. fantastic, or is it? :D

The pixel response and real time input lag actually rates very high on this screen, much to my surprise. see spoiler.

18_response.png

COLOR].png

Anyway, this post is getting too long.

So to sum up in numbers.

Build Quality: 7/10
Looks: 7/10
Image quality: 'out of the box' 4/10
Image quality: 'after user tweaking' 8/10
Value for money: its gotta be 10/10.

Overall i'm very pleased with it, i would like to congratulate AOC for making what it a pretty good screen for such a low price.

I should also add that this is a Free-Sync screen, how good it is or what the range is i don't know because i don't have an AMD GPU, according to AMD its 48 to 75Hz, some reviewers say its 35 to 75Hz. all i do know is its a 75Hz screen.
I have tried to overclock it in Nvidia control panel but at 76Hz already i get the "No Input Signal" warring so either i'm not doing it right or AOC looked it, or something...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One thing I do like about AOC monitors is that they make them a little chunky and robust feeling - separates them from the obviously cheap feel of similar priced models.

I've been a little put off them due to some OSD/powersaving gremlins in some models and that they often have higher actual latency than alternative models (doesn't seem to be an issue here though).

Caporegime
OP
One thing I do like about AOC monitors is that they make them a little chunky and robust feeling - separates them from the obviously cheap feel of similar priced models.

I've been a little put off them due to some OSD/powersaving gremlins in some models and that they often have higher actual latency than alternative models (doesn't seem to be an issue here though).

Yeah, there nothing fancy about it but it is made well enough, it does look and feel more premium than than its cost.

Input lag does indeed not seem to be a problem for this one, its one of AOC's "Gaming Range" while i'm a synic enough not to take any notice of things like that it does seem like with this screen AOC have worked on the one or two things important to gamers, Input lag and pixel refresh rate, which to give it credit rates high.

I have realised that OcUK's over active profanity policing software has caught-out my image link so here is the link Toms Hardware page..

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/aoc-g2460pqu-144-hz-gaming-monitor,review-32991-9.html

We shot 10 sequences rather than five because we wanted to be sure of our findings. The G2460PQU does indeed have the lowest input lag we’ve tested, and by a big margin. If responsiveness and speed are the most important factors in your monitor-buying decision, your research may very well end here

Soldato
Looking forward to Vega myself, I find I don't really notice freesync playing cs go, I guess it's so fast paced I don't get chance to think about graphics but running doom with valkan and freesync is a treat

Soldato
I'm not so sure about cs go as was still getting 200 fps even when I limited the framerate to 74 but apart from that I would say freesync worked with every game I've tried, can't say about old games as Ivery been playing rise of the tomb raider, doom and gta v mostly

Caporegime
OP
I'm not so sure about cs go as was still getting 200 fps even when I limited the framerate to 74 but apart from that I would say freesync worked with every game I've tried, can't say about old games as Ivery been playing rise of the tomb raider, doom and gta v mostly

Thanks, apparently G-Sync doesn't, altho Nvidia say it does, yet in the same sentence go on to say you should to turn it off for some games because of issues.

Another thing Tech Journalists apparently missed and failed to test for.

Its got me thinking if there is some sort of compatibility need with Adaptive Sync technology, if the screen has a V-Blank scaler i don't see why there would be as that scaler is simply awaiting instructions from the GPU's Driver, nothing to do with the game.

Caporegime
OP
Not quite done fiddling with it yet... i found a slight pink hue in some greys so i had another play with it, i turned to Blue down a fair bit and turned the brightness up, it removed the pink from those greys while maintaining the vibrancy of the rest of the colours and those deep black and crisp whites.

Another good thing i found with this screen it turning the brightness up does not saturate the contrast resulting in a washed-out image, its very nice and bright while maintaining pure black and white and everything in-between.

Its growing on me more and more the and more i use it.

user3.jpg

user4.jpg

Associate
hello humbug

i also have this monitor for few days now and it really rocks like u say :)
here is a little review if u didn't see it already

http://www.sweclockers.com/test/21088-aoc-g2460vq6-freesync-i-instegsklassen/7#content

i used google translate

i used it on stock mostly and now i did try ur colours and must say it's way better now so thanks for that.
just one thing i dont understand is how can u use so high brightness of 80!! :D i know its personal but unless ur under the sun its too much :p
i have it set at 0 - 20 and looks good for me (give it a try for a day)
also i think that contrast of 70 is too high if u check this picture
http://www.equilter.com/help/calibration
if i set it at 70 all colours are too saturated especially the last three from bottom, and around 50 u can see all squares .

so lets keep tweaking and have a nice day

Last edited:
Associate
:) you wont be disappointed.
If you need any help making adjustment let me know.

Hi.

I got this screen and when i bought i didnt enjoy the colours then i google around for setting, i found your and loved it.
Dunno what happen but the specs reset and your pictures are not working anymore, can you get me a picture of your setting if you still got it.

Associate
Hi, have just picked up a used g2460 and am now looking at calibrating it. Unfortunately your images aren't showing up on this thread, any chance you could forward them to me if you still have them? I'm also looking at the refresh rate, it doesn't seem to be able to support 1080 @ 75hz, so am I correct in thinking the only way to use 75hz with this monitor is to reduce your resolution to 1024?

Caporegime
OP
Contrast 50
Brightness 100
Gamma 2
Colour Temp User:
Red 40, Green 40, Blue 52

Gamer mode off, shadow control 50, Game Colour 16, Blue light off, overdrive off

You may not like it but those are my settings ^^^
I'd use CRU for overclocking the monitor.

Copy the 75hz profile and up it slowly, testing with the frame skipping test on the UFO test site.

How far did you get it overclocked?

Back
Top Bottom