*** Sky Q Thread ***

Don
Cheers.

I had Q installed at 8am this morning. I managed to get the engineer to fit a hybrid lnb so I could still hook up my old boxes to use for freesat. He had a slight problem connecting the mini box to the silver box - live tv was streaming fine but when he went to update the mini box it was painfully slow. The room that the mini box was being set up in had an ethernet cable available, connected to a homeplug but the engineer said that it wouldn't work as the mini box could only connect to Sky equipment. I suspected that was bs but he dug out a Sky wifi booster and connected the mini box to that and all is working fine.

I watched the football in UHD this afternoon and while it's certainly an improvement on HD, the quality isn't as good as some other 4k content I've seen but then again it wasn't true 4k, was it?

Had a couple of issues upgrading to Sky Go Extra. When I went to upgrade the only option I was getting was 2 months free then £5 per month so I had to give Sky a call and they activated it over the phone and said the £5 issue would be fixed before my bill is due.

Big thanks to MarkeR for sorting me out with a F&F code.

Soldato
How many connections from the dish to the Sky Q box are required, I was previously told my existing shotgun cable would be fine and just needed new connectors at either end - is this still the case as my cable is burried?

Also, do the engineers carry the hybrid LNB's by default as I will still need 4x normal feeds to my sattelite amp/distributor for Freesat HD still.

Soldato
Same as Sky +, 2 connections. So your siamese cable is good to go.

Nope, not all of them carry hybrid LNBs. If they do, they are under no obligation to fit one.

Soldato
I tried a webchat for this to see if there are any existing customer offers available. They wouldn't budge on price, so I might have to give BT a punt who are vastly cheaper, albeit for a more limited service and you have to use cashback and their £100 prepaid mastercard to bring the average down.

Still, you get a youview+ box at the end of it all.

Soldato
There may be existing customer upgrade offers coming in the near future if you want to hold off for a few weeks?

If I negotiated a reduction in the price of my existing package and fibre broadband today is that likely to compromise my ability to upgrade in the future using any offers that might be available?

Associate
Sky don't care as its a new product, I will try and get a deal of some sort when my contract is up in December.

I have 50% off though being an ex Virgin customer, no way I am giving that up.

Associate
Sky changed all the prices today, take a look at the website :p

So I did! I didn't think my current 50% off would still be valid if I moved to Q, it was the 'standard' 50% off I got when I cancelled earlier in the year. Also for 60 quid I get a 2TB and 1 mini boxes (shame an extra mini is £99). Hmm, I'd be tempted if I knew I could get the 50% off again at the end of the 12 months. Are the existing customer deals likely to better this? Any clues what deal they'll be yet?

Associate
So I did! I didn't think my current 50% off would still be valid if I moved to Q, it was the 'standard' 50% off I got when I cancelled earlier in the year. Also for 60 quid I get a 2TB and 1 mini boxes (shame an extra mini is £99). Hmm, I'd be tempted if I knew I could get the 50% off again at the end of the 12 months. Are the existing customer deals likely to better this? Any clues what deal they'll be yet?

Some people on other forums are stating their discounts are carrying over with the £60 install fee. login and have a look. You might be pleasantly suprised.

Associate
I did - I continue to get the current discount but my point is when the new 12 month contract expires whether I'd be able to negotiate a discount again then. Not sure Sky is worth full price.

Associate
Recently got a 4K 50" TV and have noticed the poor quality of standard Sky HD now. Even the HD stuff looks lacking.

Will it be worth upgrading to Sky Q? Any picture difference for standard SD content? Guess HD is full 1080p now? And 4k is pretty nice?

Soldato
Recently got a 4K 50" TV and have noticed the poor quality of standard Sky HD now. Even the HD stuff looks lacking.

Will it be worth upgrading to Sky Q? Any picture difference for standard SD content? Guess HD is full 1080p now? And 4k is pretty nice?

HD is still the poor excuse it always has been, 720p/1080i with a bit rate of an .mpg from 1997.

I've heard the 4K is much better than Sky's excuse for HD however. :)

Associate
@Phoneis: The new R014 firmware (which is now available on the DR Stream) does improve the picture quality, but obviously not enough to compare against a 4K picture.

The transmissions are still the same, whether you're using Sky+ HD or Sky Q for HD content. The only real improvement will be for those items which are available in 4K UHD.

As for the flickering picture issues, this is being worked on. I don't have a time scale, but something should be fixed soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom