Variable Compression Engine

Soldato
http://jalopnik.com/worlds-first-variable-compression-ratio-engine-could-ki-1785295848

This looks amazing. This combined with pneumatic valves would just be incredibly efficient and powerful.

It's about time that something revolutionary came of the ICE, not just the bits around it (direct injection, hybrids etc)

There was a concept some 30 years ago for a variable capacity engine which I thought was pretty good and might have provided similar benefits.

(Basically once off idle, the engine would match capacity to load ensuring high load factors, and therefore high efficiency, throughout the power range)

Unfortunately, all these "revolutionary" concepts tend to to go hand in hand with vastly increased complexity and vastly increased construction and repair costs.

ECU controlled valves sound nice in theory because of the potential improvements in performance and efficiency. Unfortunately it would only take a momentary glitch to stuff all the valves into the pistons and (for a modern vehicle) write the car off completely.

Perhaps I am somewhat jaundiced by my role as a mechanic (I only see stuff when it goes wrong after all) but I dont think anything has improved much since the early 90's (And in many ways much has gone backwards! :( )

Man of Honour
There was a concept some 30 years ago for a variable capacity engine which I thought was pretty good and might have provided similar benefits.

(Basically once off idle, the engine would match capacity to load ensuring high load factors, and therefore high efficiency, throughout the power range)

Unfortunately, all these "revolutionary" concepts tend to to go hand in hand with vastly increased complexity and vastly increased construction and repair costs.

ECU controlled valves sound nice in theory because of the potential improvements in performance and efficiency. Unfortunately it would only take a momentary glitch to stuff all the valves into the pistons and (for a modern vehicle) write the car off completely.

Perhaps I am somewhat jaundiced by my role as a mechanic (I only see stuff when it goes wrong after all) but I dont think anything has improved much since the early 90's (And in many ways much has gone backwards! :( )

Koenigsegg have developed a valve train system that is entirely camless and uses actuators, Pneumatic failure in their system means the valves open

Soldato
Koenigsegg have developed a valve train system that is entirely camless and uses actuators, Pneumatic failure in their system means the valves open

Surely "Open" valves would hit the pistons. (Bit like a timing belt failure)

(Unless the engine is designed to be free-wheeling (IE Even when valves are fully open the pistons cannot hit them))

Man of Honour
Surely "Open" valves would hit the pistons. (Bit like a timing belt failure)

(Unless the engine is designed to be free-wheeling (IE Even when valves are fully open the pistons cannot hit them))

Sorry meant closed, failure means there's no risk of damage.

Been a while since I watched the video but I think they claimed 30% improvements in power and economy when retrofitted to a run of the mill engine

Soldato
Sorry meant closed, failure means there's no risk of damage.

Been a while since I watched the video but I think they claimed 30% improvements in power and economy when retrofitted to a run of the mill engine

I am not talking about failure as such, more a software glitch or wiring problem.

Remember, it only has to happen "Once"!

Soldato
OP
Well the Jalopnik headline is

The World's-First Variable Compression Ratio Engine Could Kill Diesel Forever

A 14/1 compression ratio doesn't help the engine at all load and RPM ranges, variable will, so yes, it could feasibly beat a diesel once it's dialed in properly and designed for efficiency and not both power and efficiency

Caporegime
Wow, a whole 27% more efficient than a large displacement N/A V6. That's well worth the investment, production and maintenance costs.

Now compare it to a cylinder on demand turbo 4-pot.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder how big an improvement an engine with this and the camless valve tech would be over the current conventional stuff. I'm guessing quite a lot.

They say this engine would actually be cheaper than equivalent turbodiesel engines? Please let this be true and end the dagdag menace. :p

Soldato
Wow, a whole 27% more efficient than a large displacement N/A V6. That's well worth the investment, production and maintenance costs.

Now compare it to a cylinder on demand turbo 4-pot.

If real, a 27% improvement is huge. There's nothing stopping them combining this with cylinder deactivation either.

Caporegime
What? How is it "huge"? If it was a 27% improvement over a comparable "traditional" 2.0 4-pot, then yes, I'd agree. Comparing it to a different layout, with a different cylinder count, a different breathing method, and a massively different displacement is hardly ground-breaking.

Simply by buying in a Gen 3 EA888 VAG 2.0 petrol TFSI engine they could have had 48% fuel efficiency over the same 3.5l V6.

Back
Top Bottom