When are the new top-end MSI/Asus laptops going to show?

Associate
Do you guys think it's worth going for a 4K screen?

This is my main question now as the answer affects the choice of card so much.

I've not used Windows with a 4K res. I have heard that it can negatively affect desktop scaling and general use of Windows, but obviously is great giving you proportionally more screen real estate and video / gaming quality.

However, full HD is still OK for me and has plenty of benefits. Windows works well at this res, the 1070 graphics would be more than sufficient, file sizes for full HD content are less (streamed and downloaded) too, this is important as I'll travel with this machine.

Guess I need to see a 4K screen on a laptop somehow at work...

Caporegime
4K on a laptop screen is pretty pointless TBH, you just end up using scaling to make everything bigger, it reduces battery life and if you want to run games at 4K you're going to be running out of GPU grunt much sooner.

Better to have a decent quality FHD panel and run things comfortable for the next few years.

I've got an XPS13 with a 3200x1800 panel and at native res it's laughable, everything is tiny - so I end up using 200% scaling. Should have just had a full HD panel, run at native res and had 2 or 3 more hours battery life.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
This is my laptop of choice at the moment. One of my concerns would be noise at idle. My Asus is virtually silent and I would be extremely disappointed if the MSI was a lot louder. How efficient is the MSI cooling I wonder.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-intel-i7-6820hk-gaming-laptop-lt-24a-ms.html

I did have a MSI prior to the ROG and it was certainly excellent and on par with my Asus, even with a lesser spec.

Associate
4K on a laptop screen is pretty pointless TBH, you just end up using scaling to make everything bigger, it reduces battery life and if you want to run games at 4K you're going to be running out of GPU grunt much sooner.

Better to have a decent quality FHD panel and run things comfortable for the next few years.

I've got an XPS13 with a 3200x1800 panel and at native res it's laughable, everything is tiny - so I end up using 200% scaling. Should have just had a full HD panel, run at native res and had 2 or 3 more hours battery life.

Thanks for the feedback!

Man of Honour
OP
I see the Asus ROG is now online too. Quite a beast. I'm interested to know how this will compare with the MSI. Something I spotted in the details. It appears to use the Intel® HD graphics 530 in Windows and will switch over to the Nvidia in games. I guess that will mean the laptop will be quieter doing everyday stuff but it can also be somewhat problematic. I have had a few games that don't switch out properly, let alone detect it, especially during Alt-tab.

Back
Top Bottom