Induction Hobs

Associate
OP
looks like plenty of feedback!

Many thanks guys - its a no brainer for me considering things around my place - a minor investment for a sizeable upgrade!

Soldato
£14 is supposedly based on induction 0.504 kw/h per use 424 uses per year
so use sounds like a single plate for 20mins or so. (someone on their own boil in the bag ? )
with any kind of complex cuisine(&several meals) multiply by at least 3 ? so maybe nearer £40 benefit for gas ? plus the premium for buying the induction ?
[need someone with a smart meter to give a breakout]

I do not think gas hob is hard to clean, with ceramic vs gas time spent on carbonized stuff on ceramic plate and frequently stuff burned at base of pan is non negligible, never had that with gas.
But maybe iinduction is better, with even heat distribution, no catching.

when you turn off the gas have an air gap around pan base => cooling fast, which you do not have with inductions / ceramic.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes and 30% of the gas energy is wasted and not directed to the pan.

Induction is far more efficient and cheaper to run all the energy is in the pan, its not just about the basic numbers i am afraid.

Associate
I miss my induction hob. Cant wait to get the kitchen done at my new place and get rid of the gas.

I'd definitely recommend the neff hob with magnetic dial. No faffing with finicky touch buttons but easily removed for cleaning / locking hob. I guess other manufacturers probably do this now also.

Soldato
The article acknowledged induction is more efficient but the Kw/hr of gas is cheaper than electricity (indeed they are burning the gas at the power station to make the electric :cool: ... thankfully they are rethinking the £98 MW/hr we were going to pay the French too )

Soldato
OK we forget operating cost, I can also forget wok :

I am in - providing model has many power levels so that I am genuinely able to simmer something (long cook meat dishes, porridge etc)
(some earlier models provide low power levels by turning the plate on and off every second or so, which is no good)

[ I believe some of the higher end models also have multiple smaller coils for more even heat distribution - but have not investigated much, too many $$ ]

Soldato
I miss my induction hob. Cant wait to get the kitchen done at my new place and get rid of the gas.

I'd definitely recommend the neff hob with magnetic dial. No faffing with finicky touch buttons but easily removed for cleaning / locking hob. I guess other manufacturers probably do this now also.

Yippee a knob induction hob !!!!

I have had my Siemens now for 6 years and have always said the touch controls are hit and miss - So now I will look at changing it out as other things have probably improved on them as well. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes and 30% of the gas energy is wasted and not directed to the pan.

Induction is far more efficient and cheaper to run all the energy is in the pan, its not just about the basic numbers i am afraid.

Proven to be incorrect by every article I can find on gas v induction due to the losses involved in producing the electricity in the first place. The cheapest and most efficient way to heat 1L of water on a hob is gas, then induction then traditional electric halogen/element.

Gas remains the most efficient option, although I agree the cost difference is negligible in the scheme of thigns.

Soldato
Yes touch controls are imprecise on washing machines too, neither seem as good as tablets&phones.

(IOT - Is there not yet an induction hob or oven with bluetooth control from your phone, oven could be programmed from online recipe)

Associate
I have an IKEA Induction hob fitted by my brother (qualified electrician) - the model is FOLKLIG.

Very reasonably priced as well - just checked the site and they are only £249.

Had no issues at all and really enjoy using it.

Just watch the power supply requirements - we had to run a separate supply in from the consumer unit - they can have a very large power draw if all the rings are on at full pelt - there is also a boost function that increases the power draw as well.

Back
Top Bottom