What was your first (PC) computer, 286,386?

Soldato
AMD Duron something or other. Had several more AMD chips before I finally had an Intel. Felt like I'd sold out.

Sinclair ZX81 in 1981 - with extra 16KB (yes, KB - not MB or GB) RAM pack :D

Followed by BBC model B - which I stupidly junked several years ago when we moved house :(

Electron, BBC Master, Acorn A3000. None of these were PC's though. :p

Soldato
A Cyrix 233 was the heart of my first proper PC. Had a 3DFX Voodoo 2 Banshee and a 800x600 monitor :D Was pretty pants for gaming, coped ok with Microsoft Motocross Madness but fell to it's knees with the first Alien vs Predator game lol. Gave me the platform to the knowledge I have today so in a way it's the best PC I have ever had :)

Soldato
They most certainly are PCs, just not IBM compatible PCs.

We didn't use the term PC for them then, only IBM PC's or compatibles used that term and were strictly for business/office use only, IBM coined the term PC as I recall. They were generally technically inferior to what we colloquially termed home computers the only reason the office folk used them was because the software was compatible across a wide range of hardware.

Apple most certainly did not refer to their machines as PC's either iirc and were sold in direct competition to what were recognised as the IBM PC or compatibles.

Last edited:
Associate
Long time ago, Apricot PC, with 166mmx cpu, within hours of getting it the hood was off and overclocked it to 233 and solid as a rock with stock h/s and fan ... I felt like king of the world !!!!

Soldato
My first PC that I owned was a 486 that I wrote my PhD thesis up on. I remember at the time it was the absolute dogs danglies (in my eyes at least). I managed to get my supervisor to buy me a "huge" HDD, which I think was a mighty 1Gb and cost an absolute fortune.

similar to me.

bought a 486 dx2 66MHz with 8mb of ram (yeah i splashed out!) - got it to write my thesis as i didn't know anything about computers at the time (never had one at school, barely used one in my degree).

Hitman
Soldato
I had some kind of Atari with loads of games. Later had some kind of eMachines with Windows 98 or ME on. Can't remember the specs exactly but vaguely remember it being a 450MHz Intel CPU, 32MB RAM and 8GB HDD or something similar.

Associate
Pentium II 233mhz
32mb RAM
2GB hard drive

I remember playing Quake 2 after installing a Voodoo 4mb graphics card and switching to Hardware Acceleration. I nearly fell out of my chair.

Last edited:
Commissario
Bunch of n00bs :D

My first computer was an Acorn Atom. It came with 1k of memory on board and a 1MHz processor. I upgraded it to the maximum of 12k on board and BUILT a 24k memory expansion board. From scratch.

Here's the computer itself.

atom-1-20160309-183547.jpg

And here's the bottom of the memory card. Lots of soldering there!
atom-2-20160309-183824.jpg

The inside of the computer. See that toggle switch hanging on a bit of wire at the top? That overclocked the processor to 2MHz.
atom-3-20160309-183938.jpg

And the top of the 24k memory card which I built.
atom-4-20160309-184031.jpg

I fired it all up in 2011 and it still worked - It got sold on eBay for a decent sum.

Soldato
I've spent the morning reading about my first computer - an Amstrad CPC464. I come onto OCUK and immediately spot this thread :o

I went from an Amstrad CPC464, to an heavily modded Atari 520STE, then onto a 486-SX33 that I equipped with a maths co-processor to turn it into a DX beast!

Somewhere down the line some random game called Doom arrived and I struggled to run it. Ended up buying a 586 CYRIX processor instead....great idea that was! (They had crap floating point performance that FPS titles relied on).

Associate
Oh mine had the Soundblaster AWE-32 card in it , my god that card was long !

Had one of those too. Kept it for years

Always been a bit of an AMD loyalist, and started out with this

33Mhz 486DX
4MB RAM
160 MB HDD
3.5" FDD (no CD of course)
VESA Local Bus graphics card (don't remember which make, but also very long)
VESA Local Bus Disk controller (added some extra cache on the I/O)
Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse

It cost about £1500 if I recall...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom