Introduce Land Tax or similar reform so super rich can't avoid Inheritance Tax

Associate
**** that.
Government already tales our hard earned money by force, I won't vote to give them the power to take any thing else.

Man of Honour
I can only see this backfiring and largely hurting middle class people the most while those at the upper end find ways around it anyhow.

Caporegime
not sure I like the idea of a land value tax 'or similar' from an ideological perspective - IMO you tax income on a regular basis but assets you already hold you tax upon their transfer/sale... see usual objections about cash poor old grannies who happened to buy a modest townhouse in say Islington several decades ago etc..

what I would like to see is a further clampdown on trusts which seemingly can exist perpetually for the benefit of multiple generations of 'heirs' and keep on growing while avoiding rather large tax bills

Caporegime
I can only see this backfiring and largely hurting middle class people the most while those at the upper end find ways around it anyhow.

There isn't much you can do to avoid such a tax, doesn't matter if you wrap things up in trusts or own things at arms length via offshore companies if the asset itself is taxed the owner is irrelevant... the asset is in the UK, it has a market value that can be approximated fairly objectively and action can be taken for non payment.

I think it could be quite robust if implemented and have no arguments against it from that perspective I just don't don't agree with it ideologically. I think if you are objecting along those lines then perhaps you ought to give an example of how you envisage it being avoided otherwise the objection is just empty hand waving.

Soldato
what I would like to see is a further clampdown on trusts which seemingly can exist perpetually for the benefit of multiple generations of 'heirs' and keep on growing while avoiding rather large tax bills
Trusts which were set up using money you already paid income tax on?
Long as that same income tax is paid on any interest the Trust earns, I don't see a problem.

Caporegime
Trusts which were set up using money you already paid income tax on?

yes, or indeed older trusts that contain assets that have simply been inherited and passed on for multiple generations

Long as that same income tax is paid on any interest the Trust earns, I don't see a problem.

I do but it is simply a difference of opinion, I don't think dynastic wealth over multiple generations is a good thing, I don't think some trust owning the prime areas of London for the benefit of multiple male heirs of one family is a good thing and if that sort of thing were to become more common we'd have an even more unequal society than we already have.

Would you change your view if, for example, all of the capital was owned by a few trusts set up for the benefit of a few heirs and no one could buy any freehold property as a result? How about if we went further and all of the country got consumed by them (obviously this is an extreme and unrealistic example)?

Back
Top Bottom