*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
For people with £25 for the complete package. Check your account, if you click on u upgrade to Sky Q, you can get the Silver for £37 for the complete package +30 setup fee. Wow, theyre really pushing it. So tempted with this price but no 4k TV

Caporegime
I finally got Sky to budge on Sky Q as an existing (albeit with a cancellation in) customer.

Already had discounted unlimited BB as an existing deal, but got everything including the Sky Q multi room for £73 all in.

Installation = £30, cost of the Mini = £30.

Couldn't grumble at that to be fair, that's the deal I wanted 3 weeks ago.

Sky are back in my good books now :p (For 12 months at least ;))

Last edited:
Man of Honour
New prices are good, but I don't have a 4k TV and I barely use the Sky box except for sports as it is so I doubt I'll upgrade.

Perhaps once I buy a 4k OLED and the current OLED goes in my bedroom.

Associate
@Phoneis: The new R014 firmware (which is now available on the DR Stream) does improve the picture quality, but obviously not enough to compare against a 4K picture.

The transmissions are still the same, whether you're using Sky+ HD or Sky Q for HD content. The only real improvement will be for those items which are available in 4K UHD.

As for the flickering picture issues, this is being worked on. I don't have a time scale, but something should be fixed soon enough.

Thanks for info. My 4k TV upscales 1080p signals apparently. Because the Sky HD box only ouputs 720p or 1080i I don't get the upscaling. Wonder if it would make a difference to non 4k Sky Q content as the box outputs 1080p?

Associate
@Phoensis : Good question and one I don't have the ability to check for myself.

However, perhaps its worth noting that if you set your Sky+ HD STB to work in 1080i mode all the time, it will automatically upscale 576P content to 1080i. Whilst the US sends over 720p content for some of their shows, it is all broadcast at 1080i, with upscaling done at the broadcaster end I believe.

With this in mind, it is possible to set the Sky Q Silver STB to work in 4K UHD mode. I now wonder, if like the Sky+ HD STB, it will automatically upscale any content to 4K?

I am aware that 4:3 content, such as broadcast by gold, is stretched incorrectly still and people are complaining about this, so who knows.

Associate
I rang Sky earlier - they confirmed I'd keep any existing discounts but I'd have to pay £297 installation costs - this covers one Sky Q Silver and two Minis.

I did have a free installation (F&F) code but they said that's expired.

Think I'll pass :)

Soldato
I may be asking a stupid question, but how do you find UHD content?

Go to either Cinema, Sports or Box Sets from the main menu and there's an Ultra HD sub-section. Cinema and Box Sets are all on-demand downloads whereas Sports will show you upcoming live UHD stuff. With live broadcasts you can tune into the regular channel then use the red button to switch to UHD or use the above menu. The above menu is also the only way you can schedule a UHD recording.

Soldato
What's the best deal with Sky Q under the following circumstances:

I've been with Sky for 15+ years, I have purchased all the new equipment and do not have any contract with them in that regard. I presently have Sky+ with multiroom.

I am moving in the next 2 months and now I know what Sky Q is I'm considering it :)

Anyway am I better off cancelling my sky package and then trying to get a new customer package when I move or is there some deal for existing customers etc?

Back
Top Bottom