To tell or not to tell.

Associate
In short, there is a very scummy sneaky attendant at a local garage. I am 95% sure he is stealing money from there by not ringing through scratch cards and taking the money, I have noticed this twice before.

Now, I am wondering should I get intoch with the owners of the garage, pretty sure its a family owned business, and tell them to pay closer attention to their scratch card counts.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Catch the scummy attendant out of work and threaten him with a 40% of the deal he has going for himself or else.

Caporegime
No, not your problem. Imagine if he doesn't do it and has to go through an investigation or people catch wind of it, it'll instantly ruin his job for him and his colleagues may not trust him.

Soldato
Yes, defiantly try and let the owners know even if your not quite 100% sure. They will have CCTV and will be able to find out for sure.

I really really hate these kind of people. Get him fired / arrested and get an honest person in need of a job working there in his place.

Associate
OP
Well hes a real ** Fully star swearies please - EVH ** as well. So ye, he actually made me wait to cash out a scratch card to clear the queue so he could pocket £10, I am pretty sure I wouldnt have to say "hes stealing" I could just mention that they need to check their scratch card counts.

I would normally just let it be but this guy is a real scumbag

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Well hes a real ** Fully star swearies please - EVH ** as well. So ye, he actually made me wait to cash out a scratch card to clear the queue so he could pocket £10, I am pretty sure I wouldnt have to say "hes stealing" I could just mention that they need to check their scratch card counts

If he's a dick then dob him in. A hard working, nice employee? Could need the money, stay out of it.

Nobody disrespects a GDer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
I'd raise it as a concern if I was completely sure there was something to investigate. The "not your problem" attitude doesn't help the owners trying to run a business. They'll have all attendants on camera and the float would be out so I'd wonder why the owners haven't already spotted this.

Short version, yes, tell but only if you're very confident that there's an issue.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;29917239 said:
I'd raise it as a concern if I was completely sure there was something to investigate. The "not your problem" attitude doesn't help the owners trying to run a business. They'll have all attendants on camera and the float would be out so I'd wonder why the owners haven't already spotted this.

Short version, yes, tell but only if you're very confident that there's an issue.

Till systems tend to be full of loopholes. someone with a decent level of intelligence and a good level of computer knowledge could easily work one out.

Caporegime
In short, there is a very scummy sneaky attendant at a local garage. I am 95% sure he is stealing money from there by not ringing through scratch cards and taking the money, I have noticed this twice before.

what do you mean exactly by this

as in you don't think he's scanned them

or as in you've topped up with £40 of petrol and bought £5 of scratchcards, he's asked for the correct amount, £45, but the amount on the till still shows £40?

I mean you say you're '95% sure' what specifically is that based on observing?

Associate
OP
OK, first time, I purchased £19 worth of goods including a £5 scratchcard, the till shows £14 but on that till the screen is kinda hidden so you dont notice without looking. Second time I cashed in a £10 scratch card a few weeks later, he puts the £10 cash win on the till and pays it out on the till, give me the card and says thanks, and strangly waits to open the till, I kinda walked away slowly and I am pretty sure he just pocketed the £10.

I worked in retail for 6 years as assistant manager of a supermarket, we had a guy doing the same thing, but we actually had a card count so we knew earlier, some small garages might not do this.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, first time, I purchased £19 worth of goods including a £5 scratchcard, the till shows £14 but on that till the screen is kinda hidden so you dont notice without looking. Second time I cashed in a £10 scratch card a few weeks later, he puts the £10 cash win on the till and pays it out on the till, give me the card and says thanks, and strangly waits to open the till, I kinda walked away slowly and I am pretty sure he just pocketed the £10.

I worked in retail for 6 years as assistant manager of a supermarket, we had a guy doing the same thing, but we actually had a card count so we knew earlier, some small garages might not do this.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about and are pretty sure. You should let the owners know. Make sure you have the time and date down so there's no risk of them think you mean someone else.

It's a shame when people look the other way to crimes like this, to one person stealing from another. Also sounds like you'll be happier with yourself if you say something, too.

Soldato
Till systems tend to be full of loopholes. someone with a decent level of intelligence and a good level of computer knowledge could easily work one out.

absolutely zero computer knowledge required - just a bit of common sense and understanding of how the day to day operations work which anyone who has been working there about a week can suss out. I worked in a bar and off licence, albeit a few years ago now, and it was a nightmare trying to make sure takings were correct/staff weren't on the rob

Soldato
absolutely zero computer knowledge required - just a bit of common sense and understanding of how the day to day operations work which anyone who has been working there about a week can suss out. I worked in a bar and off licence, albeit a few years ago now, and it was a nightmare trying to make sure takings were correct/staff weren't on the rob

Yeah, but I mean anyone who is brought up with computers will understand how the tills work and how to take advantage of the system, where as the older generation probably wouldn't have the smarts to do that.

Associate
This reminds of a scam that caught me out a few years ago at a petrol station. I had just filled up from near fumes, bought a couple of packets of cigs, a drink and whatnot. I had a rough idea what the bill was but didn't question it, paid it and left. As I was driving out out the forecourt a bloke wearing the station's uniform (who was positioned on the edge of building out of sight of the cashier) flagged me down.

He asked to see my receipt and low and behold the woman had rung through 3 packets of cigs rather than 2, but had only given me 2. I got the impression it wasn't her first time and they were watching her. She either sells the appropriated cigs or keeps them for herself.

Robbing ******** everywhere.

Caporegime

I'm not following the second example very well but either way it does sound like you know what you're looking for here so you probably should report him :)

Back
Top Bottom