To tell or not to tell.

Caporegime
This reminds of a scam that caught me out a few years ago at a petrol station. I had just filled up from near fumes, bought a couple of packets of cigs, a drink and whatnot. I had a rough idea what the bill was but didn't question it, paid it and left. As I was driving out out the forecourt a bloke wearing the station's uniform (who was positioned on the edge of building out of sight of the cashier) flagged me down.

He asked to see my receipt and low and behold the woman had rung through 3 packets of cigs rather than 2, but had only given me 2. I got the impression it wasn't her first time and they were watching her. She either sells the appropriated cigs or keeps them for herself.

Robbing ******** everywhere.

there was a kid I went to school with who'd brag that he'd robbed money from the till a few times in his petrol station job, only he'd apparently waited until a new person had started then stopped immediately after they'd left.

Soldato
there was a kid I went to school with who'd brag that he'd robbed money from the till a few times in his petrol station job, only he'd apparently waited until a new person had started then stopped immediately after they'd left.

Oooh cheaky

Soldato
Unless your paid to supervise no!

It has nothing to do with you, why should you care if one employee is ripping the firm off.
Sod all to do with you mate, that's supervisors and managements job.

I know I made a very grave mistake when I was young and it cost a lot of people there jobs, including my own.
I was just trying to be an honest employee!:rolleyes:

Remember school "Never Grass" ;) ( Unless paid to do said observational job)

Soldato
Yeah, but I mean anyone who is brought up with computers will understand how the tills work and how to take advantage of the system, where as the older generation probably wouldn't have the smarts to do that.

You'd be surprised. One of the worst offenders where I used to work turned out to be an older guy. Old guy, just wanted a few hours part time (think he had a decent pension from early retirement or something) his till was always bang on to the last penny. Which in itself was a bit weird as we always allowed for a certain amount over/under. Did a spot check on his till one evening before end of shift and it was 40 odd quid over, turns out he was 'forgetting' to ring or scan the odd item through then just giving the customer a revised total after opening the till, come the end of shift he tallied up his till leaving it spot on and pocketied the rest. If his till hadn't regularly always been spot on previously we'd have never suspected a thing. Crafty sod!

Soldato
OK, first time, I purchased £19 worth of goods including a £5 scratchcard, the till shows £14 but on that till the screen is kinda hidden so you dont notice without looking. Second time I cashed in a £10 scratch card a few weeks later, he puts the £10 cash win on the till and pays it out on the till, give me the card and says thanks, and strangly waits to open the till, I kinda walked away slowly and I am pretty sure he just pocketed the £10.

I worked in retail for 6 years as assistant manager of a supermarket, we had a guy doing the same thing, but we actually had a card count so we knew earlier, some small garages might not do this.

What garage was it? Our garage ( Esso run by eurogarages ) has a sign off sheet for instants every shift so you write your start and end figures down. This should tally with what your till says you've taken on instants.

Payouts are different. If youre using it to pay for goods and present the card AFTER your goods are scanned the card is validated and the cash amount keyed into the till and knocked off the bill. This is then put thru the till as a paid out before the next customer is served. If you present the card before the transdaction its validated and youre given the cash. Again the till knows what you've paid out and it should tally with the validation slips printed from the machine.

If you think you have a genuine concern find out who runs the garage and maybe email the customer care department.

Soldato

It has nothing to do with you, why should you care if one employee is ripping the firm off.

I know I made a very grave mistake when I was young and it cost a lot of people there jobs, including my own.

Theft is illegal.

People should be reporting theft to the relevant people.

I suppose you wouldn't want me to "grass" when someone steals your car or burgles your home?

Soldato

Curious as to what you did that caused a lot of people including yourself to lose their job if you were only trying to be an honest employee?!

Soldato
Curious as to what you did that caused a lot of people including yourself to lose their job if you were only trying to be an honest employee?!

I told the boss who was an absolute nutter and mean gangster so to say, not no normal employment here.
That one of his employees was pregnant before her probation period had expired, the poor kid only had a month to hide it then he would have to have paid maternity leave.

She got fired, her manager got fired, I got fired... lets just say he was a I*DONT*WANT*ANOTHER*BAN.

He was brutal but I was naïve and young, am talking 19 years old and trying to make an impression. But hey stuff happens.

Caporegime
It is amusing that you feel telling a boss that someone is pregnant is somehow a similar scenario to telling a boss that someone is stealing

Soldato
It is amusing that you feel telling a boss that someone is pregnant is somehow a similar scenario to telling a boss that someone is stealing

Why did I need or feel the need to tell him? :confused:

I was young and very far from the wisdom I have now.

Bad call on my behalf looking back, but I was young and just trying to make an impression on the boss. :( (Or just gossiping as teens do) :confused:

Soldato
I told the boss who was an absolute nutter and mean gangster so to say, not no normal employment here.
That one of his employees was pregnant before her probation period had expired, the poor kid only had a month to hide it then he would have to have paid maternity leave.

She got fired, her manager got fired, I got fired... lets just say he was a I*DONT*WANT*ANOTHER*BAN.

He was brutal but I was naïve and young, am talking 19 years old and trying to make an impression. But hey stuff happens.

What in gods name has that got to do with 'grassing' someone up for stealing. In you case you were just trying to be the smart arse brown nose. In the OP's case he's talking about 'grassing' a thief.

Soldato
I'm not following the second example very well but either way it does sound like you know what you're looking for here so you probably should report him :)

Must admit, i'm still confused by the second example. If you cashed in your £10 scratch card, and he's paid it out of the till, and then he takes another £10 out just as you're leaving the shop, then surely the till would register as £10 down?

If that's the case, then it's not really anything to do with the cashcards, he's just pocketing cash as and when he feels like it.

Soldato
If hes also on the phone whilst serving 100% yes.

If not 90% yes

This made me laugh.

At work , part of my job is to offer IT support to forecourts within our network, the amount of times operators and retailers call while serving customers is too damn high! Why not just clear the queue first?

It means I sit there listening to them serve and the customers probably find it a bit rude that the person serving has a phone pressed to their ear.

Back
Top Bottom