Most likely damaged my processor maybe more?

Associate
Hey guys,

I've been on a 4.6ghz overclock @ 1.175v for a while now on my 4690k with an MSI Mpower Z97. Today I started playing Blade & Soul and I got a BSOD in character creation. This hasnt happened before and Ive played much more intensive games such as Witcher 3 etc.

I assumed it might be because of the Win 10 Anniversary update causing a slight instability with the overclock which has happened to me before when going from Win 7 to Win 10. So I thought I would bump up my core voltage to 1.18 or restore to default if it still happened afterwards. Now this is when my habit of not double checking comes in and I put the core voltage to 1.8 instead of 1.18 without double checking.

Im back in character creation at 1.8v (at this point I didnt know I was at this stupidly high voltage) and I get another BSOD a bit later this time. Error message Driver Overran Stack Buffer. This was a different message than my first BSOD. At this point my PC wont even post the A2 message in the bottom right corner at boot up before MSI logo screen and the LED display on the MB displays a bunch of numbers in sequence which means early cpu intialisation and north bridge early initialisation and is at a boot loop at this point.

At this point I tried slow mode switch first which sets the processor to 1ghz and 0.8v (I still dont know the voltage setting is at 1.8v). Im able to get into the bios and windows with slow mode on and this is when I realised I made an all mighty **** up. I reset to default settings hoping I have not fried the processor and try booting into Windows with slow mode off. Unfortunately the boot loop from earlier is still happening. RIP my 4690k you were such a good clocker :(

Apart from the story I would like to ask whether my motherboard could also be damaged from my core voltage being too high? Or is it safe to just buy a replacement processor?

Associate
OP
I've also tried removing the CMOS battery for 15mins and putting it back in. Still the same thing.

Looks like the motherboard is fine but the processor wont run unless at a low voltage and clock speed. Now it is time to try and find a reasonably priced replacement 4690k or maybe even an excuse to upgrade to a 4790k.

Thanks for trying guys.

Back
Top Bottom