bought a cheap server

Associate
You're not using FreeNAS properly if you're using hardware RAID mirrors. It uses the ZFS file system which is software RAID and you lose some of the benefits if you present it with logical disks from hardware RAID.

If you can create logical disks for each of the physical disks and present them to FreeNAS individually that would be OK.

Soldato
If its looping network boot then its likely the disk array isn't set as a bootable device or if it is, the OS/array is already ******.

RE: power draw, your gaming PC unlikely draws close to 800w most of the time and in addition, are you likely to leave that running 24x7 as you are with a server?

Associate
OP
You're not using FreeNAS properly if you're using hardware RAID mirrors. It uses the ZFS file system which is software RAID and you lose some of the benefits if you present it with logical disks from hardware RAID.

If you can create logical disks for each of the physical disks and present them to FreeNAS individually that would be OK.

hard disk's have to be set in a RAId of some type by Raid card BIOS, to be able to be recgonised..
Apparetly, these servers dont support JBOD.. So unless the drives are in RAID, they are not recognised at all by freeNAS

Associate
OP
Okay figured out the DHCPREQUEST loop issue..
Random... Because i had the server set to 192.168.1.70 for static via my router settings..
As soon as i stop it being STATIC, it boots just fine.. and automatically assigns itself to 192.168.1.111 and has no problem...

Associate
OP
OKay.. finally got it all completely sorted :D

Anyone know how long it takes for Freenas to auto rebuild array?
i have it set to RAID 1, so that ive got file safety incase of drive failure..
So, just as a test, still with the poo hard drives, i copied a file to the NAS, and then removed one hard drive, just to see if it would still let me access the file.
(as it should have the data on both hard drives of course)..
and sure enough, it works fine.. But when i put the second hard drive back in, it comes up with "rebuild automatically started"... and the caddy activity lights are blinking in sync with eachother.. but its taking FOREVER!
i only put one short video file on there!

She's now ready for the nice box of brand new 6x 1tb drives to be put in and setup :D

Associate
FreeNAS is not aware of your RAID 1 logical disk. You are putting RAID on top of RAID. As I said, you are doing it wrong.

Try creating two single disk RAID arrays in the PERC controller and see if FreeNAS will see them as two disks. Then create a ZFS mirror in FreeNAS across these two disks. If you have more than two disks, then use RAIDZ1 (or 2 if you have four disks).

Associate
OP
FreeNAS is not aware of your RAID 1 logical disk. You are putting RAID on top of RAID. As I said, you are doing it wrong.

Try creating two single disk RAID arrays in the PERC controller and see if FreeNAS will see them as two disks. Then create a ZFS mirror in FreeNAS across these two disks. If you have more than two disks, then use RAIDZ1 (or 2 if you have four disks).

freenas is aware of my hardware RAID 1 array though mate. because when i pull one drive out, im still able to access the data, due to it being mirror'd onto both drives, like RAID 1 should.. and then when i insert the drive back in, it automatically comes up with "rebuild automatically started".. does its job, then says "array rebuild finished"...

Back
Top Bottom