Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct (New Album)

Associate
Its...ok.

Like many have said, the lyrics arent great and Hammett hasnt put in a solid solo since god knows how long, but its not offending me as much as anything off St Anger or Magnetic was so its got that going for it.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
If you dust off Live **** Binge & Purge and listen to it in its entirety, each concert is full of those odd im-promptu bits, riffs, jams and solos - the things that Newsted, Hetfield and Hammett used to do every 15 minutes between songs, to ether let the others change the gear, have a sip of water etc. Those jams and riffs, have often better melodies and feel that anything the band recorded since Load/Reload.

I love metallica, it was once my number one band. I want them to be great, but whatever made them the legends they are now back in the 80ies and 90ies, is irreversibly broken. I don't know whether the key to success was alcohol, hunger for money or just youth. Whatever it was it's quite clear by now it is not coming back. It's not going to be one of those Iron Maiden scenarios - you know - good album, so-so album, experimental carp, weird album, what, how, when, album, good album again.

It's going to be a trail of litter, garbage and trash with occasional bottom moment for some "I am the view, I am the table, I am the beetroot" project, paused every few years for that ray of light - yet another live recording of some gigantic undertaking where the highlight are the old songs shouted out at the audience in increasingly odd and squeeky ways and all of us crossing fingers to white knuckles every time guitarists start chasing drums with drunken wah solos almost always tripping up and ****** them up royally by the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you dust off Live **** Binge & Purge and listen to it in its entirety, each concert is full of those odd im-promptu bits, riffs, jams and solos - the things that Newsted, Hetfield and Hammett used to do every 15 minutes between songs, to ether let the others change the gear, have a sip of water etc. Those jams and riffs, have often better melodies and feel that anything the band recorded since Load/Reload.

I love metallica, it was once my number one band. I want them to be great, but whatever made them the legends they are now back in the 80ies and 90ies, is irreversibly broken. I don't know whether the key to success was alcohol, hunger for money or just youth. Whatever it was it's quite clear by now it is not coming back. It's not going to be one of those Iron Maiden scenarios - you know - good album, so-so album, experimental carp, weird album, what, how, when, album, good album again.

It's going to be a trail of litter, garbage and trash with occasional bottom moment for some "I am the view, I am the table, I am the beetroot" project, paused every few years for that ray of light - yet another live recording of some gigantic undertaking where the highlight are the old songs shouted out at the audience in increasingly odd and squeeky ways and all of us crossing fingers to white knuckles every time guitarists start chasing drums with drunken wah solos almost always tripping up and ****** them up royally by the end.

You can't make angry thrash metal when you are 50+ millionaires, the desire that was there back in the 80s just isn't there anymore, can't blame them.

Associate
For those who want to listen to the new single :) (Does contain swearing so not quite safe for work)

Last edited:
Soldato

I love metallica, it was once my number one band. I want them to be great, but whatever made them the legends they are now back in the 80ies and 90ies, is irreversibly broken.

Couldn't agree more! Live poop binge & purge is my favourite album of all time and I have so many epic memories just listening to it but, somewhere in the gap between Reload and St Anger, I realised that the band I loved just didn't exist any more. Even the live performances, which were the best things Metallica did, suffered massively and I've got to the point now where, after seeing them at Download 2012 in Madrid (birthday treat) I actually didn't want to see them any more as it was awful to see how far they'd fallen (Kyuss Lives showed how it should be done!).

Strangely, even though I can't stand their studio albums, I'm finding myself massive into Iron Maiden live stuff now :D

Associate
I am a fan, not as keen as I was pre St Anger, never managed to listen to dearth magnetic all the way though, I will give the new album a listen before I buy this, curious to see if it is as badly mastered as the last album, it reminds me of how bad a mix tape was to listen to when you set the recording level way too high.

Last edited:
Caporegime
hopefully its recorded well. last album i brought from them cant remember name god damn the album quality sounded bad and i like em.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah it does sound good - can't wait for a tour. Really boring set list at that gig though. Every time I hear nothing else matters, sad but true, fuel, whiskey in the jar, seek and destroy I always feel sad for what else could have been swapped in.

For Munich 2015 I got frayed ends of sanity, fight fire with fire, unforgiven 2, metal militia and disposable Heroes :D :D

Man of Honour
OP
Shaping up nicely :)

Will probably go to the Denmark gig in February.

On a side note I've been trying to play Dyers Eve on guitar this evening. I consider myself well and truly owned - holy crap.

Soldato
Mothtallica \nn/

two vids in the space of weeks, getting like buses - wait ages for one then two turn up together. really looking forward to a tour but it seems late '17 at the earliest for England. probably be Download '18 :-/

Back
Top Bottom