No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Man of Honour
19/8
better off buying pacman mate, more depth to that game. It's 40 jibs I'll never see again that's for sure ;)

I kid of course but this game is absolutely abysmal, void of any professionalism at all, it's a flipping mobile game at heart it really is..it's so basic and boring, what you do in the first minute is nothing different than what you'll be doing in the 100 hour

20/8
Yep, one of the worst games to ever grace us which had so much promise and spiel thrown at the gamer. Was a 10 quid mobile game at best, totally amateurish and void of anything noteworthy to do.

Are you using procedural generation for your posts, as they are beginning to get repetitive :p

Can't wait for tommorows recycled post :o

Last edited:
to all those wanting multiplayer. within the current game that you have, what would you want to do if multiplayer was added to the game? Surely it'd be even more boring as one of the few "fun" things to do in this game appears to be going where ever the hell you like to discover cool new stuff in any random direction. add a friend to that and you're just following someone else doing that.

there's few too little to do in this game to add multiplayer to do it with. Skyrim NEEDS mutiplayer, just one other friend to tag along and fight with and together discover the story the creators made. NMS has no story other than the one you decide and i'm sure adding a friend would just prevent that story you create for yourself being told.

Soldato
to all those wanting multiplayer. within the current game that you have, what would you want to do if multiplayer was added to the game? Surely it'd be even more boring as one of the few "fun" things to do in this game appears to be going where ever the hell you like to discover cool new stuff in any random direction. add a friend to that and you're just following someone else doing that.

Add a friend and you no longer feel the universe is without intelligent life. If you have a friend, you explore together, you find cool new things together, you work together on resources to exit the planet together. Trading resources should be made possible if you explore with someone.

If you want to go alone, they should keep an offline mode. But even just seeing another player close by would be very cool. Even if you didn't interact with them yourself.

Associate
Skyrim has no story either.

Skyrim has one main story, several stories that play out through substantial quest chains, two DLC stories and many many medium to little stories contained within quests and undeclared stories to locations (if you have the observation and thought to spot them). It's packed full of story.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've played about 13 hours and I doubt I'll be playing it again anytime soon.

I got bored of going to different planets and finding the exact same buildings and things there.

This game is a yawnfest tech demo.

Man of Honour
What? There's bags of story and the Lore to go with it. I'm curious, have you ever played Skyrim?

TBH Skyrim's story was kind of poor jumping around and never really making good use of the components that make it up i.e. you have interesting locations like Sky Haven temple that are barely used. However the game does have many many 100s of times the amount of actually interesting and unique content to discover that NMS has :S you'll do far more interesting things in an hour spent exploring Skyrim than 10 hours of NMS.

Soldato
TBH Skyrim's story was kind of poor jumping around and never really making good use of the components that make it up i.e. you have interesting locations like Sky Haven temple that are barely used. However the game does have many many 100s of times the amount of actually interesting and unique content to discover that NMS has :S you'll do far more interesting things in an hour spent exploring Skyrim than 10 hours of NMS.

I can't see people playing NMS in 5 years time in anything like the numbers still playing SKYRIM.

Man of Honour
I can't see people playing NMS in 5 years time in anything like the numbers still playing SKYRIM.

I dunno - I think modding - especially if Hello Games open up some kind of proper SDK - could be the saving of NMS - there is a solid basis for a good game there that fleshed out with proper mechanics and interesting story arcs and a bit more hand crafted lore, etc. could add upto something great.

I think the best possible thing they could do with NMS now is to open it upto the community to put their own creativity into.

Associate
I dunno - I think modding - especially if Hello Games open up some kind of proper SDK - could be the saving of NMS - there is a solid basis for a good game there that fleshed out with proper mechanics and interesting story arcs and a bit more hand crafted lore, etc. could add upto something great.

I think the best possible thing they could do with NMS now is to open it upto the community to put their own creativity into.
why would they do that when they can release NMS 2 now with gameplay in 12 months time. no game on console will ever have good solid mod support. not the kind that completely revamps a game anyway.

Associate
I find comments like its the worst game ever and just a tech demo bizarre (a lot of the time from people who haven't even played it). People almost seem to want to be angry about what is, just a game.

Expectations based on the hints from the devs have left people bitter I guess but there is a lot of lore in this game if you look for it.

The ability to go from planet to space to planet seamlessly seems a really nice feature and the atmosphere on the planets is ace.

I've enjoyed exploring the planets for ruins and monoliths to learn more about the aliens and their language (got to a point where I could understand the Gek really well).

Every planet I have been to so far has been unique looks wise (I'm sure this will change at some point though) and so exploring hasn't been a chore. There are also interesting things to see if you look hard enough but that may not be for everyone.

There is also little grinding or at least as much or little as you want. I've upgraded about 11 slots on my suit so far and 6 on my tool just by mining nickel and gold if I had to be in the location of a mound. I haven't gone looking for it at all. The only grinding I did was when I found a base that let me keep finding crashed ships. Even then I was landing and doing stuff between crash sites.

The exploring, atmosphere and sheer scope is what has hooked me though and maybe that's down to my age. :)

I found The Division far more disappointing and less fun than this but maybe that's not saying much. NMS has also got me wanting to try something more sim like and so I just bought a stick and will give Elite Dangerous a go (something I wouldn't have done without playing NMS).

Anyway TLDR :)

Soldato

Possible, but i'd be surprised. I think something will come along and steal its thunder, it doesn't seem that difficult to do a 'good' NMS style space game.

I wrote somewhere pages back that the answer to the games problems was the modding community, let's hope they can make something out of it. It needs a complete overhaul, very hard to take it seriously when you were sold Jurassic Park but got some weird low rent parody instead.

Back
Top Bottom