Strange PC Issue

Associate
Hey All,

Just after some help if possible, basically the problem started when I accidentally half knocked out the Plug for my PC from the extension lead, I hit it and the plug was half in half out and it shut down my PC and I thought Oops.... as you do, Went to turn PC back on after re-seating the mains plug and it would not come on.

The motherboard would not beep, neither of my screens would display, all that would happen is, CPU Error LED would stay red on the motherboard and fans would light up but that is it.

I left it over night as I tried everything I could think off removing all components resetting BIOS/CMOS all the reset buttons on the motherboard and nothing, still same issue.

In the morning I tried it and it worked.... and it has been working since and this was couple of weeks ago but this exact same error always now happens after the PC being in use, I can use my PC all day or all weekend but as soon as I turn it off it will not power back on with the same issues as above unless I leave it over night... almost like it has to cool down or something. I have zero issues whilst PC is in use, it's just when I turn it off it has to stay off for 8-9 hours before I can turn it on again.

This happened either at same time as I knocked the plug out or since I have installed a H115i Corsair cooler.

Just wondered if anyone may have any ideas what this issue could be as its quite annoying :(

Thanks in advance.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370
GPU: EVGA 980Ti
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Hello mate

Just to make sure I have read correctly this fault came from either knocking the mains plug out ( I ve even done that :O) or fitting a Corair H115i?

When the plug was pulled half out did it spark or short out at all ?

Thinking about it my desktop did this, i found it to be the power supply somehow got damaged because I did not leave it on stand by. Basically the PC would be fine power down then it would loose power for a while then it would come back and be fine again.

Maybe worth going back to a old powersupply or borrow a mates one if possible .

Hope this hopes

Soldato
My motherboard does the same thing for time to time. When it won't boot I hold the power button in for a good few seconds and it boots straight away. No idea why it does this but I might try updating the BIOS and see if it sorts it out.

Associate
OP
Well this is the strange thing, when it does go through this error the fans come on and stay on but it literally won't boot, the power and restart buttons don't even work :( I have to pull the plug or press the switch on back of power supply for it to even turn off.

and that's correct AMG it started happening around the time I fitted the new cooler and hit the mains plug, and I did hear some shorting it sounded like when I hit the plug, could have damaged power supply? Just wasn't sure heat/use could make a different to a power supply booting the PC up.

Back
Top Bottom