Am I being daft? (pulling out of house move due to broadband speed)

Soldato
I am about 4 weeks into moving house (no chain iirc). I saw the house through Rightmove and their broadband checker gives (still) the thumbs-up regarding getting fibre and cable at my postcode.

I was on the phone yesterday to BT regarding moving over my broadband to the new address.
It turns out the end 7 or so homes on the street (including mine) out of around 35 homes are connected to a different cabinet at the exchange which isn't Fibre enabled. The other cabinet is enabled . :(

Ah well I thought, there is always Virgin so rang them today and got exactly the same issue, last few homes no cable. :(

The last few homes were built more recently and appears to be why there is the cut off point.

The house can get normal ADSL, but is 1.8km away from the exchange so estimated around 3 - 5.5Mb.

Im used to getting 76Mb with my current Fibre and not sure I could cope now with the lack of speed.

I've done a bit of digging on the thinkbroadband forums and it seems there are no plans to enable Fibre at the cabinet for the new home.

I am thinking of pulling out of the house move because of this, I feel bad for the Vendor as we are quite far into the process. The house is very nice, not perfect but ticks mobiles for me except this.

Am I being daft or is broadband speed that important these days??

Associate
If it's going to affect your lifestyle that much then i could understand.

E.g. Keen gardener finding that the garden gets no sun and is boggy etc..

Soldato
having buyers remorse about our new office,

we're on one of the biggest industrial estates in Glasgow and get 6meg :(

Associate
netflix, hulu, gaming, just browsing and working from home with speeds of below 10meg would drive me up the wall. If you have or are starting a family too then the bandwidth is going to be divided.

I dont think its stupid to have doubts about the move....internet is almost as important as water gas and electricity these days

will you lose much if you pull out now?

Soldato
OP
netflix, hulu, gaming, just browsing and working from home with speeds of below 10meg would drive me up the wall. If you have or are starting a family too then the bandwidth is going to be divided.

I dont think its stupid to have doubts about the move....internet is almost as important as water gas and electricity these days

will you lose much if you pull out now?

Not enough to be an issue. Found out my solicitor had been off sick for most of the 4 weeks with bowel cancer so I don't think he can bill me for much.

Not sure how much the Vendor would lose.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How about you enquire on how much it would cost to have Virgin install. Then offer that much less to the buyer

Virgin told me today during the call that have deployed an engineer to go to the street and they say they will get back in 48 hours.

I drove down the street tonight and you can see where they have dug up the paths previously and it doesn't go as far as the newer houses at the end of the street. Not sure Virgin can just dig up the paths again without permission from the council but I will see what they have to say if they get back to me.

Soldato
I totally understand. We rent and our old flat had fibre @ 76mb. We wanted to move into a house and fibre was a requirement for me.
We've now moved into a great house only to find the cabinet is at capacity so no fibre for me.
BT say nothing to do with them and Openreach said keep an eye out in Sept. Not sure what that means.

Got my ADSL activated today... 3.78mb... awful!
Web browsing is much the same to be fair but downloads on Sky are painful. I can imagine what everything else will be like.

Caporegime
If you can work from home and this would prevent that from being a possibility then it's a pretty severe detriment to your quality of life. If you pull out then make sure you let the homeowner know exactly why.

Soldato
I live in the sticks with bad BB with parents if I moved I want decent BB and that would be a huge thing, like some like good views etc.

Back
Top Bottom