******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate
Hello,

I am going to randomly jump in here! I've only been on this forum for less than a month. Decided to build my first ever gaming PC. One of the main reasons for doing this was to play Star Citizen, even in its current (alpha?) state. Looks like such a good game.

Andy

Caporegime
Watched a 20 minute demo of this last night. Wow, not too shabby! Is this akin to a more grown up version of No Man's Sky? Also is this the game where they've scaled it so that it takes ridiculously high end hardware to run at full settings?

Associate
Not bothered by net code at the moment when the PU is so horribly optimised. Great that they are showing off all these features but Its pointless playing it when you get shafted with sub 30 framerates constantly.

You do realise don't you, that the netcode is the exact reason performance is so bad?

It's explained here.
(tl;dr: netcode is terrible, they're fixing it)

Watched a 20 minute demo of this last night. Wow, not too shabby! Is this akin to a more grown up version of No Man's Sky? Also is this the game where they've scaled it so that it takes ridiculously high end hardware to run at full settings?

It's not going to be out for probably another year at least, possibly two so if anything it'll need future tech to run at max settings.

Last edited:
Caporegime

It doesn't take high powered hardware to run it.

Right now its very limited to what the servers, or rather that thing referred to as "NetCode" can deliver.
Put simply your performance is limited at their end, nothing you can do about that, you can have the most powerful hardware on earth and still get the same visual quality and performance as the guy with a higher mid end system.

To put it into context my rig is only a mid range system by todays standards, on those occasions where i land in the game with empty servers i'm getting 75 FPS, that is the refresh rate of my screen, this on maximum 1080P settings.

It looks stunning, but the engine is very efficient so that visual quality doesn't cost a lot of power.

My advice is.

Mid level GPU with more than 4GB of Vram, so a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB. (my GPU has 4GB, its fine but not really enough)
Intel Core i5 is perfectly fine but an 8 thread i7 would be better in the long run.
16GB of system RAM and an SSD for the game or boot with the game installed on it.

When 2.5 hits you should get 25 to # FPS, that is actually ok and completley limited by the servers, everyone gets that performance no matter what the rig.

They are working on a new netcode architecture to address that performance, it should be ready by the end of the year, but no guarantees of that time frame.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I tried the free fly a while back, I think I messed up the signup :(. I didn't get to play the game as I was put off with the framerate/netcode issue. Since I understand the issue wasn't my end, I want to actually pledge.

When I created my account, I had the Handle down as Portside and the Moniker Spacedeck. I didn't feel this was properly explained, so now I know that the ingame name people would see for you is your handle. Can I change this to display the same as my Moniker?

Also I've been looking about the pledge options and can someone clear up some things for me? What is the insurance on these vehicles? If I bought a package with the Squadron42 game, what happens to the addition content included if I upgrade the ship? My plan was to aim for the Avenger Stalker ship.

Last edited:
Caporegime
When I tried the free fly a while back, I think I messed up the signup :(. I didn't get to play the game as I was put off with the framerate/netcode issue. Since I understand the issue wasn't my end, I want to actually pledge.

When I created my account, I had the Handle down as Portside and the Moniker Spacedeck. I didn't feel this was properly explained, so now I know that the ingame name people would see for you is your handle. Can I change this to display the same as my Moniker?

Also I've been looking about the pledge options and can someone clear up some things for me? What is the insurance on these vehicles? If I bought a package with the Squadron42 game, what happens to the addition content included if I upgrade the ship? My plan was to aim for the Avenger Stalker ship.

I don't understand that display name and in game nonsense either, it seems over complicated and unnecessary, just have one name, thats what i think.

You can change your Handle, for $6.. i know i know... i'm not impressed by that my self, i don't know if it will let you use the same for your handle as for your Moniker, tho you can change your Moniker for free in (Top right My RSI > My Account > on the Overview page) click on the pencil next to your name.

Handle change Pass https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Handle-Change-Pass

The insurance is for when the game goes live, as in done and published... its so that when you destroy your ship it gets replaced for free. (once the game goes live ships and stuff will be free anyway) but it saves having to spend that virtual earned in game credit, which is earned in game.

Also, 3 Moths = 3 Months in game, so if you play for 10 hours a week you use 10 hours of your insurance, not play to for 4 months you still have 3 months -10 hours.

If you buy the Avenger Packaged with SQ42 and 'Melt it' IE get your money back you lose the ship and all its addons, however you don't get your money back in your hand, it will go to store credit, melting your pledge will also give you limited amounts of opportunity to buy it back later, people use this to buy a ship while its in concept and cheap, melt it and then buy it back at the same cheap price when it launched and more expensive.

Or they just use it to try out different ships.

gstrdefh.jpg

I hope that covers your questions. :)

PS: the Avenger is just about the perfect starter ship, its fine ship and everything you will need.

Soldato
Thanks, after the 3 months is up (when it becomes active). What happens then? Do you use in-game or real money to repair your ship?

I can't get the Avenger Stalker packaged. Only options are AURORA MR STAR CITIZEN + SQUADRON 42 COMBO and MUSTANG ALPHA STAR CITIZEN + SQUADRON 42 COMBO, both cost £46.80.

Avenger is a standalone ship without Squadron42 for £58.60. Is it better to buy one of the first two and upgrade the ship to Avenger, or would it be better off buying the Avenger and paying seperately for Squadron42?

Soldato
OP
/QUOTE]

You can change it once for free, I here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/account/settings

Cool hadn't realised your handle was part of the citizen url
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Raumarik

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/humbug1

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks, after the 3 months is up (when it becomes active). What happens then? Do you use in-game or real money to repair your ship?

I can't get the Avenger Stalker packaged. Only options are AURORA MR STAR CITIZEN + SQUADRON 42 COMBO and MUSTANG ALPHA STAR CITIZEN + SQUADRON 42 COMBO, both cost £46.80.

Avenger is a standalone ship without Squadron42 for £58.60. Is it better to buy one of the first two and upgrade the ship to Avenger, or would it be better off buying the Avenger and paying seperately for Squadron42?

You would buy more insurance, I don't know if that would be with earned credit or real money, there will be somethings you can and perhaps need to buy with real money, they all need to remain employed. I don't know...

All of that is a bit up in the air at the moment, I don't think even they know what yet, tho I think the SQ42 DLC will always be a pay for addon, there will be more than one.

You can upgrade to the Avenger for the cost difference if you get the Aurora Pledge, you will keep SQ42, Insurance, Hanger... from the original pledge.

Caporegime
I predict yet another patch incoming in the next couple of hours.....

Anyway..
So, here i was at Kareah minding my own and stumbled on this little huddle of fascinating Shape Shifting Space creatures, they seemed harmless, and curious, tentatively exploring the landing pad, unfortunately one of them got spooked and flew off, in its haste to get away it collided with a human ship, very tragic. :(

A flock of Xian Scout Ships

Last edited:
Associate
They look pretty neat doing the transition, looking forward to seeing more ships like that and the Reliants.

The Login ID, Handle & Moniker stuff, is a little confusing, i assume thats how most MMOs do it so your login name isnt public.
Login ID = Private, isnt displayed anywhere
Handle = Unique account name
Moniker = Nickname, what you want others to see you as (though the Handle and Moniker are always shown with forum posts etc), so you could be [SQ42] Spacedeck or whatever.

Handle i guess now requires a payment to change, it used to be free but im betting people caused trouble then changed their identity to others and CIG decided its too much hassle checking to let ppl do it freely.

@Halfmad - Moniker can be freely changed, Handle cant. I have a free token to change mine, but i suspect that was added to all accounts to let people change it if they'd messed and it wasnt what they really wanted it to be. I suspect accounts created since need to pay. If his handle is Portside and he wanted it as Spacedeck, unless im wrong on that 1 token being for all accounts, it'd have the $5 fee.

Back onto the package, to get both games and the Avenger (good choice):

Aurora MR w/ SC + SQ = https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Combo
Aurora MR upgrade to Avenger = https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ship-upgrades

That 2nd link will give you a list of ships you can update from and to, so just select your ship (ie Aurora MR) and then select the one you'd like to upgrade to (ie Avenger Stalker or Avenger Titan) and it'll tell you the cost (incl VAT, most likely) and let you add that to cart. Once you've bought the upgrade, you can apply it to the ship whenever you want (ideally, go take a quick look at the MR in-game and then apply the CCU/upgrade).

Insurance - most has been explained fine. However the question about renewing it, you'd pay for it using game currency, UEC. Paying for it with cash is an option, but really you'd be OPTING to buy currency, lets say $10 worth = 10,000UEC, and you'd use that UEC to pay for whatever you want.
Its worth pointing out debt will be a possibility, you'd be able to get a loan and stuff like that, if you maxed out the loans and didnt have money for fuel, insurance, whatever... you can still work for someone else, go man a turret on someone elses ship, earn money elsewhere. Paying cash for currency would be entirely optional, more for people with no time and a well paid job where it lets them progress without needing to spend 20hr/week playing.
The intention for post-release financing is selling copies of the game, Campaign DLC (we know the SQ42 story is 3 parts, so 2 more via optional DLC and the ships they make for that can be added into the universe for all, too), and im pretty sure they'll sell some virtual goods (posters, clothing, knick-knacks but nothing exclusively paid), and then physical item and even licensing (SC branded mice, kb, headset, hotas etc, Saitek/MadCatz are supposed to be doing that already).

Associate
2.5 going live, that means the Argo & Reliant Kore is available to buy

Argo - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15453-Argo-MPUV
Kore - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15463-Reliant-Kore

Theres a brochure for the Argo too, still havent looked at the Terrapin one though :D

Also, the reason i came here about 90min ago :D was to yet-again bring up that Explorer pack, what i didnt even realise until a few hours ago with the item in the cart was that the $495 price, not only was it $85 cheaper than the ships bought alone, all with LTI... its a god damn SC/SQ42 package too!
It had me interest because it meant a mate could buy that now, with credit, and it worked out $50 cheaper to end up with a Carrack and Hull C (Terrapin + $5 CCU) and the Dragonfly was a nice freebie. I'd explained he'd need to buy-back an old LN package, but it was still a saving and a free ship. However it coming with the package means he didnt need to spend $45 on that buy-back.
So he's got everything, has $15 in credit instead of needing to add $30, and once he's got the Hull-C CCU he's got $10 credit too. Its worked out perfectly.

Its even got me considering buying it too, with no intention of keeping any of them :D
Carrack to Reclaimer ($0), Terrapin to Orion ($130) and Dragonfly i couldnt give a hoot about, maybe get a $0 Argo CCU, but i know i'd have maybe $50 credit. (edit - 1 digit out... $5 :D damn)
Unfortunately my package is the AMD Omega (ccu'd to Delta) so its $0/$10 so not worth melting it, but its a more valuable ship to use credit onto (though no LTI).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I melted my Carrack and a few others to grab the mega exploration pack due to the 6 LTI ships in one deal, makes sense, I'll simply upgrade them to what I want within that pack and to be honest it'll stop me melting as often.. maybe.

I'd never melt that Delta, it's an awesome ship anyway mate :D

Soldato
You would buy more insurance, I don't know if that would be with earned credit or real money, there will be somethings you can and perhaps need to buy with real money, they all need to remain employed. I don't know...

I've been reading more on the insurance and is it true that if you don't have insurance and something happened, you would lose your ship and have to repledge/buy a new ship? :eek:

Caporegime
I've been reading more on the insurance and is it true that if you don't have insurance and something happened, you would lose your ship and have to repledge/buy a new ship? :eek:

No... its not and never will be active during testing Alpha / Beta, you destroy your ship now and you just get another one, i must have lost mine 100's of times and its always right back there in my hanger.
I have one month insurance on my Mustang Omega, i have had it since 2013, it still has the same month insurance on it.

You should ignore the Insurance thing and everything surrounding it for now, only once the game is officially done will it matter, by then you don't pay real money for ships, you buy them with virtual money you earn in game.

By purchasing ships now what your doing is supporting the project, its how they raise money to make the game, in return you get access now. what you buy now is yours and will be until the game goes full live, at that time you either get to keep what you have bought now or the money you spend now becomes converted into in game credit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom