iPhone 7 ** Rumours & Discussion **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Why not? The Samsung s7 edge has a 3600mah battery, any lower than that and it's pointless me moving back to the iphone.

Because it's Apple. The 6S+ is thinner than the S7 Edge and I am so sure Apple removed the earphone jack to slim down the 7.

Also battery upgrades have been incremental over all the versions and the battery size actually went down for the 6S and 6S+ from their predecessors.

Associate
I for one am quite glad and hope that they do get rid of the headphone jack...waste of space really now...

So much choice and affordability of wireless headphones now it's time to push it mass market and kill the 3.5mm jack altogether.

Soldato
I for one am quite glad and hope that they do get rid of the headphone jack...waste of space really now...

So much choice and affordability of wireless headphones now it's time to push it mass market and kill the 3.5mm jack altogether.

Yeah who cares about sound quality right!
Form > function 24/7 baby..

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yeah who cares about sound quality right!
Form > function 24/7 baby..

What? :confused:

If they're ditching the 3.5mm jack then they'll go lightning which will have more than enough bandwidth to do your 40,000kbps Ogg Vorbis... Or, you know... Bluetooth isn't too shabby?

I can't remember the last time I used my 3.5mm headphones for the phone. Granted, it'll annoy people with accessories but personally for me I don't care about it.

Associate
Why they just don't get it?... people get bored with their phones... Nothing inside the phone is going to cover for no new design or screen. You're looking at your phone daily so many times, you want something new and no processor is going to change this feeling.

I still have 6 and my contract is coming to an end but I don't really get new 2 year contract with same looking phone:/ need a change (no bezels, oled screen, new surprising design etc).

Associate
Why they just don't get it?... people get bored with their phones... Nothing inside the phone is going to cover for no new design or screen. You're looking at your phone daily so many times, you want something new and no processor is going to change this feeling.

I still have 6 and my contract is coming to an end but I don't really get new 2 year contract with same looking phone:/ need a change (no bezels, oled screen, new surprising design etc).

I'm the complete opposite. I couldn't care less what the phone looks like. If it performs great then I'm happy with that.

For me, there's no question as to what I'd choose over CPU or looks. I use my phone. I don't ever take it out and look at the back.

Soldato
What? :confused:

If they're ditching the 3.5mm jack then they'll go lightning which will have more than enough bandwidth to do your 40,000kbps Ogg Vorbis... Or, you know... Bluetooth isn't too shabby?

I can't remember the last time I used my 3.5mm headphones for the phone. Granted, it'll annoy people with accessories but personally for me I don't care about it.

I'm not sure how lightning works. Either it's configurable and you can dedicate two pins to an analogue signal, or its strictly digital and the dac and amp duties will be transferred to whatever is on the other end of the lightning cable. what's the significance? well, if it's the latter then it'll cost more because now everything needs dac and amp, and will require replacing your existing earphones, although i'm sure expensive premium lightning dacs/amps will be available if you want to use your existing gear. The consumer looses regardless.

Associate
I'm at a loose end as to whether to upgrade from my 6 plus or not... speculation says that the 2017 iPhone 8 is the one to wait for and that the 7 will merely be a minor upgrade.

What are your thoughts?

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't see it anywhere.

Soldato
Rumours seem to suggest that this year will be an iPhone 6 SE with an iPhone 7 not making an appearance until next year.

Only way to be sure is to wait and see though.

Soldato
I'm not sure how lightning works. Either it's configurable and you can dedicate two pins to an analogue signal, or its strictly digital and the dac and amp duties will be transferred to whatever is on the other end of the lightning cable. what's the significance? well, if it's the latter then it'll cost more because now everything needs dac and amp, and will require replacing your existing earphones, although i'm sure expensive premium lightning dacs/amps will be available if you want to use your existing gear. The consumer looses regardless.

isn't it totally the opposite? It will now be a fully digital loop?

I've seen lightning to 3.5mm adapters hitting the market and they are essentially DACs.. once the port is gone and we're all using either bluetooth or lightning then we won't need a DAC as there's no A to C to D :D

Either way, this is definitely happening.. I'm in the accessory industry and we've all known for a while.. the biggest question has been whether it'll be a 6SE or 7 and if there'll be a pro.

Personal prediction is this will be a minor inconvenience to 95% of the market who won't give a stuff what it's called and the other 5% will very vocally complain then either buy it anyway or turn a blind eye when Samsung etc inevitably get rid of theirs too.

For those thinking this is the death of apple or it's some gigantic problem just look how many people use the god awful earpods.. we still sell more earpods than any other type of headphones too.. its crazy.

Internal space on phones is incredibly precious, bluetooth has gotten loads better since BT4 (granted I still use wired despite having several pairs of bluetooth because I'm not in the habit of charging headphones but I'll get there!

Soldato
OP
I expect this will end up like the floppy disk drive and the CD drive.

There will be outcry at first from a minority that rely on the missing tech, and then it will slowly fade away until the new state of affairs becomes the status quo and when the iPhone 8 comes out, everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom