cornflake price hike shocker!

Caporegime
Dear OP.

We appreciate your concern however please be aware that this is OCUK GD and as such these peasant brands are not tolerated. Please return when you have any issues regarding your organic corn flakes from Harrods. These can be bought for £15 a box and should be administered using a silver spoon from a gold plated bowl.

It is unfortunate that you are in this situation but we also have standards and your perfectly acceptable flakes do not meet them.

Soldato
yeh my bad looking at wrong thing dur

Aye but it is a sign that the food manufacturers can be rather deceptive in their labelling.

I am still disgusted that 'low fat' crisps can be sold at all, when all they have done is substitute sugar into crisps.
Food that traditionally had no sugar should be banned from having added sugar, it is insane to think we are pushing a diabetes framework in advertising whilst pretending it to be healthy.

I hope the sugar tax is a small start to a big change in how we all advertising to work in food.

Soldato
but still less sugar than kellogs then ?

Quite possibly, I haven't seen the stats for the Tesco brand.
I don't mind sugar in products as long as people realise it is there.
As long as they watch their frequency of intact, and assume each meal will have sugar of some form, thus reduce any sugary snacking inbetween the meals.
Its all about frequency.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I thought the value cornflakes tasted perfectly fine. Quite a hefty price increase relatively though!

Nowadays I tend to just go for Tesco Everyday Value Oats 1Kg - £0.75. Oats are oats I'm sure. I don't see the point in buying those ready made porridge sachets either given it takes arguably less time to do it yourself. Put oats in bowl, top up with water and/or milk, microwave for 1 minute 20. Done. Pro tip I once read: If you want a smoother texture more like from a sachet stick ~half the oats into a blender first.

Man of Honour
I'd say you've got off lightly with that one.

These days they'll cut some of the product out (such as giving you 473g of something) then still rake the prices up.

I'm surprised they didn't do that TBH - for quite awhile now with foods it has been the thing to replace a product with a "new improved recipe", cheaper packaging and massage down the quantity but largely keep the price the same or slightly increase it rather than just increasing the price straight up. (Something I eat fairly regularly went from 340g per pot up until 2008 to 320g, 300g, 295g and now 280g lol).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I thought the value cornflakes tasted perfectly fine. Quite a hefty price increase relatively though!

Nowadays I tend to just go for Tesco Everyday Value Oats 1Kg - £0.75. Oats are oats I'm sure. I don't see the point in buying those ready made porridge sachets either given it takes arguably less time to do it yourself. Put oats in bowl, top up with water and/or milk, microwave for 1 minute 20. Done. Pro tip I once read: If you want a smoother texture more like from a sachet stick ~half the oats into a blender first.

nice tip about oats - might give them a blast.

as for my origanal post - everyone but you seems to have missed the fact that 56% increase in price regardless of the actual low amount they cost in first place is one helluva jump.

cornflakes is cornflakes (tho I tried the Asda low cost ones that came in a plastic bag instead of a box and those were ghastly) but translate that price change to something like a 960 gtx grafics card around £150 would jump the price to £234 - it is really not the price that's the issue here but the enormous change that I really don't like.

if there was a lidl/Aldi close by then I would go there instead :)

finally Diddums - that was really funny :D

Soldato
Likely they had a whip round at competing prices and decided they were undercutting unnecessarily.

Lower is lower after all, why be 20p less when you can be 5p less.

Back
Top Bottom